R I P AES 048520 ITS ALIVE :D

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
:crying:
Ok same old story i tried to mod my neo with a unibios using the piggyback method wich sounded easy enough as i took my time and now when i turn it on all i get is a blue garbled screen ..... :help: :help:
Input please people i am neo less :crying:
Also any body that does neo repairs let me know ;)

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Can you post pics of the mod? I don't trust descriptions...

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Don't throw it away just yet... Do as MKL suggested, post some pics. Someone will help you troubleshoot the problem.

Jeff

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Good luck with your Neo, Phix. I couldn't imagine what I would do if mine flatlined.

Phillip

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
man i really have to get someone to mod my neo. Im dieing here looking at all my games in jap

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
man i really have to get someone to mod my neo. Im dieing here looking at all my games in jap

Send it of to Kenny Boy or JMKurtz, and get teh uni-bios 2.0

Anyway, I'm fairly decent at soldering now, but I remember murdering my poor helpless AES system many moons ago. A very sad day indeed. :oh_no:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
If you want to keep it in Canada, look up "omendon" -- I think that's how you spell his nick. He can install the UNI-BIOS 2.0 for you.

Jeff

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Pictures

Ok i should have pictures up soon ( i have some they way too blury :( ) as this is killing me looking at my minty Garou and not being able to play it :very_ang:
Phix

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Phix said:
Ok i should have pictures up soon ( i have some they way too blury :( ) as this is killing me looking at my minty Garou and not being able to play it :very_ang:
Phix

Well, clearly if it's 'minty' it's not 'mint' and thus shit. Don't bother playing it.

P.S. double check your soldering leads, 'tis quite easy to bridge those joints on a bios.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Magnaflux said:
Well, clearly if it's 'minty' it's not 'mint' and thus shit. Don't bother playing it.
Ouch thats a little harsh not a fan then :p

P.S. double check your soldering leads, 'tis quite easy to bridge those joints on a bios.
i can't see any bridged joints but im gonna go over it again any ways :D
Phix

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Nah, I'm a huge garou fan. I despise collectors is all.

You can use a test light to trouble shoot if your leads are bridged, I had the exact same problem when I installed my debug bios. I got a blue/green screen of poo. Looking back, I noticed that 1 or 2 leads weren't properly soldered. I took a second attempt and got them all. It's worked fine for over a year now, so my advice would be to patiently try again.

Or you do the smart thing and intall a ZIF socket to prevent such problems if you ever with to swap out the bios in the future.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Since it's pretty hard to fuck up a board durring aPiggyback... I would say youshould go over your connections again. Try adding more solder to every pin. Use a continuity test to check that it is getting a ground and +5v in the proper places. Make sure that the old bios is NOT getting a +5v and ground.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Also, make sure that you didn't drible any solder on any other chips.... Make sure that there the board is forign object free. I once had a piece of desoldering braid stuck to some IC pins on the solder side of a board.

Took me forever to trouble soot it.

Helping phix sort his neo

yet another night troubleshooting phixs neo.All hail to phix for having the balls to try this himself.Its a hard job to say the least,and takes mucho concentration.wish him luck as he attempt to raise his neo from the dead. :)

omnedon

Astra Superstar
Take your time with your Neo. BIOS screwups are not fun to troubleshoot. I can gaurantee you itvery likely can be saved. Hopefully you can find someone in the UK to help you out. When it comes to knowing how the BIOS traces are supposed to be, JMKurtz is second to none.

Thanks to JMKurtz for the heads up that I'm a Canadian installer. It's thanks to Jeff and his generous advice that I'm able to offer the service, and stereo and S-video mods as well. It was all due to Jeff's help in the past I bought myself a swank professional desoldering station to make all future BIOS mods smoooove and safe.

PM or e-mail me for Canadian based Neo modding and service.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Fixed

Woot My AES is alive and kicking i cut my losses cut out the socket and reaconnected the original bios :D
Phew ..........
Thanks to every one who posted and a word to the wise if you aint sure how to do it or have any doubts dont bother let the Pro's do it . :mr_t:
Phix

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Phix said:
Woot My AES is alive and kicking i cut my losses cut out the socket and reaconnected the original bios :D
Phew ..........
Thanks to every one who posted and a word to the wise if you aint sure how to do it or have any doubts dont bother let the Pro's do it . :mr_t:
Phix
Silly wabbit tricks are for kids :loco: Still i'm glad you got it fix now,Neo-Geos are not fun to replace period.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Phix said:
Phew ..........
Phix

That means that you probably had a bad joint on the bios or you weren't Piggybacking it properly.

YOu did cut the correct pins on the old bios and bridge the those points to the socket correct?

Also make sure that the unibios is seated firmly.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
norton9478 said:
That means that you probably had a bad joint on the bios or you weren't Piggybacking it properly.

YOu did cut the correct pins on the old bios and bridge the those points to the socket correct?

Also make sure that the unibios is seated firmly.
Yea i tried all that i followed these instructions www.universebios.com/piggyback
Either way im just glad my neo still works unibios or not :buttrock: