Raiden V - Xbox One Exclusive Coming 2015

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner

Not exactly new news, but wanted to see if anyone else was excited for this?

Would be good to see some gameplay I guess, but I'm hopeful it will be good.

A friend thinks he spotted it listed in the Unreal Engine 4 dev boards, so if anything it'll look pretty awesome!

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

Not exactly new news, but wanted to see if anyone else was excited for this?

Would be good to see some gameplay I guess, but I'm hopeful it will be good.

A friend thinks he spotted it listed in the Unreal Engine 4 dev boards, so if anything it'll look pretty awesome!

Seems like the first interesting Xbone exclusive, hopefully it's designed for tate mode. Does the Xbox one even support 640x480 for cab play?

Edit: seems like it "should" work in 640x480 judging from the following screenshot:950638be-80c8-48e3-8f57-537458b79076.png

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
So annoying that it's a Xbox exclusive. I may never buy one.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
So annoying that it's a Xbox exclusive. I may never buy one.

Ugh. good game is a console exclusive...

You realize that's the core reason for console exclusivity, to sell the damn console? never mind the fact that some places are selling xbox one + 3 games + a year of xbox live for $330 this month. That means the console is $170.. a HUGE deal! You have no excuse to not get one other than being a stubborn asshole.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...for-your-shopping-convenience-updated-112514/

Hell, I bought a PS3 (again) for The Last of Us because it was a good game. *shrug* to each their own.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
damn shame it's on xbox one... never gonna buy one either. This thing doesn't sell in japan at all, what were they thinking...

I like the look and feel and the raiden games, bullet hell shmups are fun and all but I like to move around the screen :)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
damn shame it's on xbox one... never gonna buy one either. This thing doesn't sell in japan at all, what were they thinking...

I like the look and feel and the raiden games, bullet hell shmups are fun and all but I like to move around the screen :)

This is my lot, as well. I realize lem pointed out a good deal; however, if I wrap my hands around $370 in petty cash...I'm spending it on something else. Like a stand up PowerDrift cab that keeps popping up on CL, for $200.

I love Raiden...just can't see paying $430 to enjoy pt. 5.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
It’s probably only exclusive for a period of time. A number of shmup devs have signed on to XB1, once they all bomb hopefully the games will get released elsewhere. It’s going to take more than RaidenV to sell me a console (plus who knows if it’ll even be a proper vert arcade shooter).

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Yes, I am being a stubborn asshole because I see the xbox as having no value whatsover to me other than for the shmups genre. I won't get much use at all out of it. Also, I'm not really convinced marketing the xbox to STG fans was ever part of the plan. When the console's entire lifecycle is over and it's on clearance, I may get one I guess.

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
^ Better grab a 360 if you haven't already then. The shmups have ticked up a bit in price from what I've seen. I can't imagine them getting any cheaper too.

Wonder if Raiden V is just a one off deal or if MS is gonna snatch up most of the STG exclusives again.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
^ Better grab a 360 if you haven't already then. The shmups have ticked up a bit in price from what I've seen. I can't imagine them getting any cheaper too.

I kinda want to get a cheap used 360 for playing Cave ports and such, the only problem is what you just mentioned- this video game hoarding trend. If these games just keeping skyrocketing in price I may only ever play them via MAME.

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The 360 is mirroring the conditions you laid out above for purchasing an Xbox One... and at this point in time, you can't even guarantee that the X1 will have as great of a STG library as the 360.

You can probably pick one at a pawn shop or online for $50-100 and grab a handful of < $10 STGs (Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, Otomedius Excellent) and all the mid tiers around $20-30. Not to mention all the other lower prices people will be griping about in a few years.

MAME aside, the 360 is probably the most affordable shmup-heavy platform at the moment and is still sitting below the skyrocket threshold.

If you're interested in ever physically owning anything from that library, now is the time IMO.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Yeah, you're right. I've been reluctant and holding out for too long... I would like to play these ports at some point.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
The 360 is mirroring the conditions you laid out above for purchasing an Xbox One... and at this point in time, you can't even guarantee that the X1 will have as great of a STG library as the 360.

You can probably pick one at a pawn shop or online for $50-100 and grab a handful of < $10 STGs (Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, Otomedius Excellent) and all the mid tiers around $20-30. Not to mention all the other lower prices people will be griping about in a few years.

MAME aside, the 360 is probably the most affordable shmup-heavy platform at the moment and is still sitting below the skyrocket threshold.

If you're interested in ever physically owning anything from that library, now is the time IMO.

pretty much what i've done, i picked up a japanese 360 while i was over there and a stack of games... currently working out what other shmups i want to get for it... theres a decent selection thats for sure!

sadly some are priced a bit crazy, but there are still bargains to be had... at least you americans got a few ports locally... we got totally screwed for most in australia and other PAL territories!

As for Raiden V being a timed exclusive, I dunno... Raiden Fighters Aces never came to anything else (unless you count the dotemu mobile ports? i don't)... Raiden IV came in the form of "Overdrive" on PS3, but I don't believe it got a retail physical release? Point is, it might not happen...

Last edited:

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm not sure what you're referring to above about Raiden IV (PAL? JP? Non-360?), but I definitely have a North American hard copy... same with Fighters Aces.

Also with a Japanese 360 you should be sitting pretty good with STGs. There's quite a few on that machine that didn't show up in America... at least on 360 that is.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm not sure what you're referring to above about Raiden IV (PAL? JP? Non-360?), but I definitely have a North American hard copy... same with Fighters Aces.

Also with a Japanese 360 you should be sitting pretty good with STGs. There's quite a few on that machine that didn't show up in America... at least on 360 that is.

Riaiden IV was a physical release for NTSC-U 360 and was re-released with an overdrive setting for the PS3.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner

Raiden IV was only released physically in US and JAP regions as far as i'm aware... it never saw the light of day in PAL regions and was region locked... PS3 sort of ended up getting with the Overdrive edition... which i believe is only digital? does that make more sense? what i'm saying is that Raiden V may stay Xbone exclusive

brettybluevein

New Challenger
Man i can't wait for this. Does anyone know if there is region locking on XB1 or will we be able to import and play it just fine? No way am I buying a JP XB1 right now.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
Man i can't wait for this. Does anyone know if there is region locking on XB1 or will we be able to import and play it just fine? No way am I buying a JP XB1 right now.

X1 is region free, though devs/publishers can apparently still lock a game if they want to... hopefully they won't do that!

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
So we know for sure this will be retail, not digital? Would be awesome!

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
very little is known, but everyone is expecting it to be physical/retail, play-asia has it listed but isn't taking orders yet

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I don't think I have played Raiden since part two for the PC and until recently I did not realize it was such a beloved game and (larger) series.

This new edition seems cool.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
Damn, i dont want to buy an xbox one just to play it...

Has it already been 25 years since the first one... I remember the first Raiden in high school...yikes.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Anybody hear any more on when Raiden V is coming out? 2015 is almost run out.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
It's certainly not going to be on the xbox one, which is probably the biggest console flop ever in Japan. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it ever sees the light of day at this rate.