Raleigh: Fighting Tournament at Mugi's

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey Dan, I've been in there several times, but haven't had a chance lately. I'm from Burlington.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Have you had a chance to come by since we moved to our new spot down the street? It was in February. If not, you should come check it out. I'm really proud of the new layout. More candy cabs; more jamma diversity. Less guns and pins (which are great, but something has to give; I have to work with the space I can afford, not the space I want).
Drop me a note next time you think you'll be by and I'll try to be there. My schedule is all over the place.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I'm not sure if we've met but I like your style. ;)

My name is Daniel. I'm the owner of Lost Ark Video Games. I've been absent from the forums since I quit my job to open the store. I've wanted to chime in for a while but I've been busy with one thing or another and haven't been able to attend any sort of meet-up in a long time.
I just saw this and figured I should say something. When I was following the forums actively (2008-2010~), there didn't seem to be many people in NC active here, but it seems like that's changed. Maybe everyone was here and we just missed each other.

I would love to host a Neo meet-up. I've been working at growing the store into something I could be proud of and that 90's arcade heads could appreciate. I've come a long way since opening 3+ years ago and I think I have a nice arcade space for those who love 90's jamma action. I was planning on posting an interest thread after the holidays to see what people said. I love the personal feeling of meet-ups at people's homes, but I can offer a central NC location with an arcade open every day of the week if it helps a meet-up happen.

If any NC folks are in the Greensboro area, let me know. I'd love to meet anyone at the store and jam on some Neo-Geo. Right now I am doing a KOF tourney series with one tournament every month, starting with '94. We are on '96 (happening tonight actually) and then '97 a month from now.
Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, drop me a note and let me know. I'd be happy to help organizing anything here or elsewhere.

How is your tournament turn out?

I bet if we did a SSF2:TB event at your store kinda like we did Mugi's place we would have better turnout and competition!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member

I bet if we did a SSF2:TB event at your store kinda like we did Mugi's place we would have better turnout and competition!

BRING OUT THE BOARDS MITS!!!!!!!

:buttrock:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Nice to meet you Dan! Can't wait to go check out your place. As far as old/retro games I really thought the Edward McKays were the only options around here (they aren't too bad).

Are your KOF tourneys usually on saturdays? I generally have saturdays off, and while I suck ass at KOF, I wouldn't mind driving out to play some. :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Have you had a chance to come by since we moved to our new spot down the street? It was in February. If not, you should come check it out. I'm really proud of the new layout. More candy cabs; more jamma diversity. Less guns and pins (which are great, but something has to give; I have to work with the space I can afford, not the space I want).
Drop me a note next time you think you'll be by and I'll try to be there. My schedule is all over the place.
Nah, last time I went was right before you guys moved. I haven't been able to get up there much these past couple of years since my daughter was born, but I brought her last time and I couldn't pull her away from the candy cabs.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner

Tournament turnout varies quite a bit depending on the game and how much I promote it. Lately, I'm more interested in quality than quantity. For example, we just did KOF '96 and there were 10 people, including myself. There is a core group of fighting game guys that come to the store and are interested in playing/learning older fighters so I can usually get enough people to have a decent little tournament in just about anything.
This is what I'm really most interested in and these are the guys I cater to. I didn't promote it in the store; only on the facebook page dedicated to fighting game players who come to the store. I only had one 96 cart, so only one set-up; with double-elimination it still took almost 3 hours, even with just 10 people. Prizes were an assortment of KOF swag I had bought ahead of time. Next month we are doing '97, one month after that '98. I was billing it as the year of KOF. 12 installments; one a month. 94-XIII (all numbered installments, excluding XII and Neowave).
On the other hand, we had a SFIV Ultra tournament about 4 months ago and around 35-40 came out. There are a lot of players who don't come out regularly because they only really play SFIV and don't care about the older stuff (which breaks my heart).
There are others of course who would come out more often but are too far away (Fayetteville, etc.)
Would love to have a SSF2:TB event! Let me know.

Are your KOF tourneys usually on saturdays? I generally have saturdays off, and while I suck ass at KOF, I wouldn't mind driving out to play some. :)

Tournaments are always on Saturday night now; after some experimenting this is what works best. I try to do something every other week. It usually hops back and forth between heavy hitters (Thirds Strike; Super Turbo, etc.) and more obscure stuff.
You should definitely come out! While I try to cater to the guys who actually care about this stuff, it's not an atmosphere of elitism. These are just the people who love the old games. We keep things very congenial and fun; no fighting game community BS allowed here. It's just about playing fighting games with real live human beings (and going crazy when someone pulls of something sick;) )
Drop me a line if you get a chance to stop by and I'll try my best to be there.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Tournament turnout varies quite a bit depending on the game and how much I promote it. Lately, I'm more interested in quality than quantity. For example, we just did KOF '96 and there were 10 people, including myself. There is a core group of fighting game guys that come to the store and are interested in playing/learning older fighters so I can usually get enough people to have a decent little tournament in just about anything.
This is what I'm really most interested in and these are the guys I cater to. I didn't promote it in the store; only on the facebook page dedicated to fighting game players who come to the store. I only had one 96 cart, so only one set-up; with double-elimination it still took almost 3 hours, even with just 10 people. Prizes were an assortment of KOF swag I had bought ahead of time. Next month we are doing '97, one month after that '98. I was billing it as the year of KOF. 12 installments; one a month. 94-XIII (all numbered installments, excluding XII and Neowave).
On the other hand, we had a SFIV Ultra tournament about 4 months ago and around 35-40 came out. There are a lot of players who don't come out regularly because they only really play SFIV and don't care about the older stuff (which breaks my heart).
There are others of course who would come out more often but are too far away (Fayetteville, etc.)
Would love to have a SSF2:TB event! Let me know.

Tournaments are always on Saturday night now; after some experimenting this is what works best. I try to do something every other week. It usually hops back and forth between heavy hitters (Thirds Strike; Super Turbo, etc.) and more obscure stuff.
You should definitely come out! While I try to cater to the guys who actually care about this stuff, it's not an atmosphere of elitism. These are just the people who love the old games. We keep things very congenial and fun; no fighting game community BS allowed here. It's just about playing fighting games with real live human beings (and going crazy when someone pulls of something sick;) )
Drop me a line if you get a chance to stop by and I'll try my best to be there.

If you are planing to do something next month,I'd like to try to make it out to the next tourney (weather permitting). Saturdays are great for me. I like fighting games the most, but I'm not terribly good at em, but a chance to play with ppl on cabs is something I definitely look forward to!

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
If you are planing to do something next month,I'd like to try to make it out to the next tourney (weather permitting). Saturdays are great for me. I like fighting games the most, but I'm not terribly good at em, but a chance to play with ppl on cabs is something I definitely look forward to!

Poor guy can't even win against his wife....

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Thanks for checking in, Daniel! I've been meaning to make the trek to Greensboro specifically to visit your store. I can think of no better reason than a NG meetup. Hope the business is going well and count me in if you ever decide to get it done.

I'd be willing to host at my house as well (in Raleigh about 15 minutes from Mugi's) but my arcade set up at this point is limited to a CMVS (courtesy of JNX) so people would have to settle for playing console ports or BYO-ing.

Saisyu Kusanagi

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have been playing KOF for a long time, would like to come out. pm me the location and next event. i support neogeo.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I'd love an excuse to get out of town for a day, and a Neo gathering is plenty! I'd love to know when the next event's going down as well.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Just wanted to post up a couple things of Neo interest that I hope might lure some of you into the store.
1) KOF '97 tournament is happening January 3rd. Arcade entry is free if you mention KOF; got some KOF stuff to give out as prizes.
2) I just go my copy of Razion today and it is up and running in the store. I didn't have time to play all the way through, but I'm very impressed so far. Come check it out!
Hope to see you there.
Daniel

Saisyu Kusanagi

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just wanted to post up a couple things of Neo interest that I hope might lure some of you into the store.
1) KOF '97 tournament is happening January 3rd. Arcade entry is free if you mention KOF; got some KOF stuff to give out as prizes.
2) I just go my copy of Razion today and it is up and running in the store. I didn't have time to play all the way through, but I'm very impressed so far. Come check it out!
Hope to see you there.
Daniel

Looking for some old AES posters, hope i can find them and bring them.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Hey Mugi, less go!

hell yeah buddy I'm down, unless there happens to be a freak snow/ice storm I'll be there. (I don't drive in that $#!%)

thx for the heads up/invite Dan!!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sweet, you want to pick me up our just meet there? I live right off the interstate in Graham.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Sweet, you want to pick me up our just meet there? I live right off the interstate in Graham.

sure, I can get you np, although I'm hesitant to play against you in anything anymore, my butt's still sore from the whooping in xmen vs sf :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never played another human in a kof game, I really have no idea if I'm good or not. Probably not.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Better bring your A game guys; one of the regulars here is an Argentina native and old skool KOF player. He has won every one thus far: '94-96. By his admission though, '94 and '95 are his best games. '95 is his favorite. I had never even played those before planning these events. I didn't realize how different '95 was; like a different game. '96 is really where KOF (as I knew it) began. But I ended up loving it; I'm a '95 die-hard now.
I don't want to discourage anyone. It's been great learning these older KOFs and we are very friendly here. Laid back scene; no FGC drama. There is a wide range of skill levels. My goal is to grab the runner up slot. My best so far is 3rd place in '95!
But seriously though, if you want to learn some older KOF, we got a guy.... ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm ok with getting knocked out in the first round. Wouldn't be the first time!