Rank system made easy?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
More of a comment really. It was a great idea for Shawn to make everyone get the stars easier. The result? Busier forum in my opinion.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
It's nice to have a ranking, so long as people don't constantly post all sorts of pointless messages just to increase their rating.

NeoZero

New Challenger
Its funny how Dion has more posts than everyone else and he said he was gonna leave awhile ago!

Shawn

snkusa.com
It’s fairly easy to rise through the ranks in the beginning. However, the promotion requirements are setup to be progressively greater. I may add new rankings and new star colors if any innovative idea’s come to mind. That’s what this forum is here for, to brainstorm suggestions to improve the environment of the community we share here.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
hey Shawn why dont you make a system where the administrater can choose peoples rank?
biggrin.gif
make Dion a Neo(gay)lord

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Well then, how about a Neo·Geo ranking for someone with 1000 posts (or more) with the mentality that if you post that much, you are the system. Kind of a silly idea, but one can always expand from one idea and perhaps come up with something else. Perhaps a Neo-Emperor? Neo-Conqueror? Might be a while before you have a need for some more rankings anyhow.

[This message has been edited by Neo Bomber Man (edited September 22, 2000).]

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I was thinking that also, eventually everone heres going to have over 500 post but it will just be some time in January.....

Shawn

snkusa.com
I can edit the code to have Dion, or anyone else have a unique rank name. However, I’m against this idea singling people out. I strive to remain unbiased. Besides, if I give one person a unique rank, others will feel left out.

Thanks for the new name ideas. I can always bump the promotion requirements higher if many people begin to approach 500 quickly. For now, the rank system appears to be quite balanced.

I’m considering changing the star color order on a few of the ranks. Specifically, Neo-Disciple, Wizard, King and Moderator. Should a moderator have 5 stars? Or multi colored stars?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Personally, I think its fine the way it is. The 5 white stars diffrentiate the moderaters from the others, just as the administrator's multi color diffrentiates him over others as well. but I have to say that the multi color looks cool...

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I agree with you not to give unique individuals spcific rankings, related to their on-line likeness. Either too many will eventually desire it, or we'll never hear the end of it from he who has such a title "bestowed" upon them.

About changing the colours, I have but two suggestions for now. One is that, while I love mauve (Neo-Desciple), it just has a funny look to it, somehow. Could be the black background. And for the Moderator status, perhaps changing tints and shades of blue? I think you should keep the multi-coloured one for yourself. It's quite distinguishing.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I don't really have any opinions, positive or negative, in regards to the ranking system. A very long time ago I contemplated picking up UBB for my now long since extinct site. Whilst researching the nuances of the UBB system I learned that, among a whole slew of other information, that custom "rankings/titles" can be assigned to individual accounts. The guys over at Arstechnica manage their custom ranking system very well. In fact, the only thing I'd really like is for signatures to be turned on.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by DolphinLord (edited September 22, 2000).]

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I love the rank system it helps promotes posts and also helps distinguish everyone with the different stars. Also I am glad as well that you don't single anyone out, because why stoop as low as Dion does.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
I must admit that at first, I didnt like the insulting phrases that were left under my name... so I was driven to think of things I REALLY wantted to talk about. In do so, I came to enjoy actually participating in the group, phenomenally unaware of the fact that I was no longer doing it to get the stupid phrases below my name to change, I began to enjoy reading and posting to the board. I say the ratings are a good thing.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I got it! Have your rank be bassed on your average per month. i.e. youve been on 3 months and you have 480 postes, then you have 180 which makes you Mai's appernetice.

Shawn

snkusa.com
This wouldn’t affect anyone’s rankings at the moment. Only one month has passed since the forums have opened you see. Dividing everyone’s total posts by 1 still equals the same original total. Let’s consider the long-term effects of this proposal. Using your formula, you will have to make a minimum of 15,000 posts by the twelfth month to maintain Immortal Neo-God. To hold the rank of Mai’s Apprentice, you will have to make 1500 posts after 12 months. This hardly sounds fair compared to the current prerequisite of 1250 posts to permanently achieve Immortal Neo-God. Thanks for the idea though. If quite a few members start averaging hundreds of posts a week, then this is a nice alternative.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
well i guess a month was to much, maybe 3 or so. In the long term.