Raspberry Pi 4

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
PS2 and DC emulation viable?
i couldn't find the specs on the processor.

I'm surprised they didn't add type C connectors outside the power supply.

Capture.PNG

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
PS2 and DC emulation viable?
i couldn't find the specs on the processor.

I'm surprised they didn't add type C connectors outside the power supply.

View attachment 54305

We've been posting about this in that I hate Raspberry pi's thread in the war room.
I'm just happy to get USB 3.0

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
We've been posting about this in that I hate Raspberry pi's thread in the war room.
I'm just happy to get USB 3.0

i prefer to circlejerk with normal folk.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The CPU is much improved and the GPU gets a boost but not that much of a boost.

I'll be waiting until they actually get RetroPie or equivalent running on it for starters. I think we can expect better performance for whatever currently runs but PS2? lol yeah no.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
The CPU is much improved and the GPU gets a boost but not that much of a boost.

I'll be waiting until they actually get RetroPie or equivalent running on it for starters. I think we can expect better performance for whatever currently runs but PS2? lol yeah no.

Yeah maybe N64 might run better, well currently it barely runs at all.
More Psx and arcade stuff

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'm interested in getting one to use as a Plex server/download box if it's viable. I had a Pi 3 and tried it but it kept shitting on itself when trying to stream 1080p over my network. One thing I read somewhere said that it struggles with fullscreen video on youtube even at 480p, and it's supposed to be able to display on two 4k monitors... hrrmm...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm interested in getting one to use as a Plex server/download box if it's viable. I had a Pi 3 and tried it but it kept shitting on itself when trying to stream 1080p over my network. One thing I read somewhere said that it struggles with fullscreen video on youtube even at 480p, and it's supposed to be able to display on two 4k monitors... hrrmm...

It will do 1080p @ 60 in a browser, I'm getting one for a plex server myself so hopefully it works out good.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Give it time for Raspian to be updated and optimized for the new hardware.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
How much Ram would you need for N64 emulation? Would the 1GB model be enough?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
ima be real. Never got around to setting up my own retropi. I just grabbed premade images.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Timely bump. I got a Pi4 shortly after release. Finally set it up about 2 weeks ago on my workbench to replace my PC that I hadn’t turned on in ~2 years.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
New official Camera out today. Seems pretty cool. May get it down the road to incorporate in my analog video setup.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
So I took the emulation plunge and bought a Raspberry Pi 4B 4 GB ram with a pre-installed retropie setup, thinking it was going to be fairly plug and play and easy to use. Big mistake. I've already spent too much time troubleshooting why some controllers don't work right, why something is too slow, why something crashes. Makes me feel better about having a cartridge collection that is too big. Someone tell me how I got dreamcast to run full speed and well on this thing and not atomiswave or.... NES!!!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So I took the emulation plunge and bought a Raspberry Pi 4B 4 GB ram with a pre-installed retropie setup, thinking it was going to be fairly plug and play and easy to use. Big mistake. I've already spent too much time troubleshooting why some controllers don't work right, why something is too slow, why something crashes. Makes me feel better about having a cartridge collection that is too big. Someone tell me how I got dreamcast to run full speed and well on this thing and not atomiswave or.... NES!!!
My best advice, use an xbox one controller (the newer ones) and make sure it's updated in Win10. There's a command that you need to type to make it actually work. It works great once you actually get it going, for real. I have no idea why the idiots at retropie or the people who make the images don't make this command already 'done' to make things easier.

It's completely stupid but whatever. Use this video as a guide. https://youtu.be/lF7ZFnw_PR0

There should be a string of commands in the "more info" section under the vid if you're using a pc. There's a long command there that starts with "sudo nano" and ends with something like ERTM. You have to run that command to turn off... Whatever stupid thing is preventing the bluetooth from actually connecting.

First you have to REMOVE the controller from the connected bluetooth devices. Then run that command, reboot, then try connecting the controller again. Then it should work great.

ETA Primes vid (I'm pretty sure I linked the right one) should help out.

Edit: here's a link to what you need to do to turn off ERTM.
https://techwiztime.com/guide/retropie-xbox-one-controller/

Last edited: