RBG Monitors

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I have been shopping around for RGB monitors and wanted to ask for other's experiences. I would prefer to get a bigger monitor like the NEC XM29, or a larger Sony BVM, but most of the monitors I have come across locally and on ebay are usually 20" or under. How difficult is it to find larger monitors, and how expensive do they tend to be? If they are too rare and expensive, I may just get a smaller Sony PVM.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I've never seen anything bigger than 20" in my area come up. I grabbed a 20" PVM for around $60-$70 locally which seems like a great price.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A large monitor may be nice, but man.....the 20 inchers look freaking rad.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I dunno I say get what you can. Availability is the problem with these monitors not price...

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I dunno I say get what you can. Availability is the problem with these monitors not price...
True, I think location really dictates what's out there. I have no problem finding monitors here but I think it's because of all the old people in FL and the medical offices because of them. Start with something smaller and wait till something bigger and better comes up. XM29s are hard to find so don't hold your breath for one though.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I rock a 14" PVM and its fine for a single player setup. That said, if I could find a 20" with low hours on it, I'd snap it up in a sec!
The low hours part is a pretty big problem in addition to availability, 20" don't mean shit (at least not to me) if its burnt.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
True, I think location really dictates what's out there. I have no problem finding monitors here but I think it's because of all the old people in FL and the medical offices because of them. Start with something smaller and wait till something bigger and better comes up. XM29s are hard to find so don't hold your breath for one though.

Still waiting for dat XM29 hook up... ;)

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the size. I have a 13" PVM on my desk, and a 20" BVM-20F1U in front of my "gaming" chair (just an Ikea POANG swivel rocker). Honestly, I really like both of them. It really just all depends on how far away you sit, and where your eye-level is.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
yeah, my gaming setup consists of 20 and 14 inch pvms.
they're great for me, and provided the area has enough space, the 20 incher is just fine for multiplayer.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
It's not the motion of the ocean; It's the size of the CRT. ;)

I think what is being said about low hours is the important part. I've seen the same model CRTs from roughly the same time look worlds apart. You have to understand a majority of these monitors were being used in broadcast settings. So watch out for time codes, color bars, stuff like that.

Hell, I'm burning color bars as we speak into a 9" panasonic bt-s901y on my desk. Haha.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
I been looking for the last few month for a rgb monitor and didn't come across any larger ones for sale local to me. I ended up getting a 20" pvm and couldn't be happier with it.

90s

No that is just a CCTV monitor. Doesn't do RGB move on

I don't know what to look for in other monitors. The other one I'm considering is a Sony PVM-20S1WU. Anyone know about that one?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That one will work, but keep in mind it's a 16x9 monitor.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
I don't know what to look for in other monitors. The other one I'm considering is a Sony PVM-20S1WU. Anyone know about that one?

What you're looking for is any model PVM with low hours, late manufacture date, and RGB inputs. Here is a picture to give you an idea:pvm20m2u2011122d.jpg

See the inputs that are R/R-Y,G/Y, B/B-Y? Those are RGB and component inputs. Meaning they can do either or. Some monitors (mostly older pvms) can only do RGB and not component.

The inputs that just say video, like the one you posted before, is just low-quality composite video (like the yellow plugs on consumer TV's). Keep in mind you can still get a nice picture out of s-video in a pinch (line C on the picture) out of PVMs too.

RGB is still the best though, and what makes these monitors desirable.

Last edited:

90s

^
Thanks for the help. I have decided to keep hunting for one of the monitors I would really like. Did not want a 16x9.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
The personal gaming monitor I use is an old Amiga 1084s that I bought from a friend's dad for $10. Thing has a rock solid picture! I also had a PVM-2950 that was awesome until it died on me.