Real Bout Special two-plane vs. Real Bout 2 sway line

Hi all,

I'm getting back to Fatal Fury (Real Bout Special and 2) recently, and I'm having a lot of fun. But I'm now struggling with switching planes - particularly in RB Special.

I always try to use the planes to avoid attacks, and then "surprise" the opponent that is now - in theory - vulnerable. So, in RB 2, the sway line seems fair to me, as the opponent can only hit me if he/she reacts to my move fast enough and then hit "D". In RB Special though, any attack button can hit me when I'm on the opposite plane, which means that if my opponent is just mashing (for a chain combo or something) I'll be hit right after switching.

I genuinely don't know if I'm overlooking something, but I'm now avoiding switching planes and this is kind of preventing me from really have fun when playing RB Special. Which is a bummer, because I know I could just enjoy my time with RB 2, but I enjoy the different gameplay and presentation aspects of RB Special, so I would like to enjoy it too.

Could you give me any tips about this issue, or explain what I'm overlooking here?

Many thanks!

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
The line sway mechanic in RBS works like no other FF game. It's tied intricately to the chain combo system. It's also the only RB game that lets you stay in either plane after switching.
  • If you are in a different plane than your opponent, you have full movement options - you can jump, move side to side, and do your move(s) that hit across both lines (like Terry's Round Wave). You can also block. :)
  • Additionally, pressing forward + C (hard attack) will knock your opponent into your plane whether or not they are blocking.
  • This is the only FF game where you can knock the opponent into the opposite plane and then pull them back into your plane in the same combo string.
    • A simple string with Terry would be, A -> B -> Forward+C -> Back+C xx Crack Shot
    • There are more effective combos, but this would start you on the right path.
RBS and RB2 are very, very different games and each one requires a different approach. Hope this helps get you started.

Thank you very much for your reply @yagamikun

RBS and RB2 are very, very different games and each one requires a different approach.
You're right. I've always played and had fun with fighting games, but the last Fatal Fury I've played was Fatal Fury 2, and a long long time ago.
Now that I'm coming back to the franchise, I started trying the first Real Bout, and then I decided to jump to Special and 2, and I guess it will take some time for me to figure them out.

So, with that being said, do you think it would help if I focus on the first Real Bout instead, and then move to the newer entries? I don't know if such progressive approach makes sense, but maybe it would work better then approaching RB Special and 2 right away.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Thank you very much for your reply @yagamikun

You're right. I've always played and had fun with fighting games, but the last Fatal Fury I've played was Fatal Fury 2, and a long long time ago.
Now that I'm coming back to the franchise, I started trying the first Real Bout, and then I decided to jump to Special and 2, and I guess it will take some time for me to figure them out.

So, with that being said, do you think it would help if I focus on the first Real Bout instead, and then move to the newer entries? I don't know if such progressive approach makes sense, but maybe it would work better then approaching RB Special and 2 right away.

Real Bout 1 is fun, and has its fans, but is the weakest of the RB sub-series. Real Bout Special and 2, though, the community is generally split on. RBS is the most accessible of the three, imo, and has some very wacky moves and combos that make it play like no other Fatal Fury. It's a very unique game and one of my very favorite fighters ever.

RB2 is more ridged, and while it feels like a cross between RB and RBS, most character move sets have been highly modified and changed, combos work differently, there are more command normals than any other fighting game ever - it's a weird game, but a deep game and pretty satisfying when you learn the ins and outs.

There's plenty of reviews and gameplay overviews out on the net, but you can check out my reviews here:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is one of the things that made the series great. Relatively small differences that result in radical gameplay changes when switching between the games.

It's probably just nostalgia, but the original Real Bout is one of my top Neo games of all time. You have to give a lot of credit for the refinements made on FF3.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
This is one of the things that made the series great. Relatively small differences that result in radical gameplay changes when switching between the games.

It's probably just nostalgia, but the original Real Bout is one of my top Neo games of all time. You have to give a lot of credit for the refinements made on FF3.
100% RB is a very, very fun game. I like it quite a bit - much more than FF3 once I got used it. I actually like it more than RB2, even though I recognize as RB2 being a more refined game overall. I don't like many fighting games better than RBS, though. It's literally a top 5 fighting game for me. 😁

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Special is my favorite of the Real Bouts, I have it physically so I could check but doesn’t Real Bout Special Dominated Mind remove the planes? That’s an option to play the game without the planes if you want and if you have the means to do it (A PS3 Japanese account or a physical copy for PlayStation).

I’d put it in my top 5 Neo fighters at least for sure.

@yagamikun I checked your reviews and they're a gold. I read the ones related to the topic, but I guess I spent even more time reading off topic ones (Last Resort, Pulstar, Shock Troopers). Thanks for that.

@Ralfakick Dominated Mind is a good suggestion. But it's worth mentioning that the planes aren't something I don't like, it's quite the opposite: I really enjoy the system. I'd say that this is one of the features that distinguishes Fatal Fury from other fighters, and of course, something that I considered when coming back to the games.
But when playing RB Special and 2, I'm struggling to understand their differences, specially regarding how to approach their two-plane / sway line systems.

The good thing is, I'm now even more interested on understanding them, and I just added the first Real Bout to my plate as well.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm amazed that RB2 was pulled together in something like four months. I do like RBS more but RB2 has a great in-your-face style and Rick and Xiangfei are fun new characters that don't get enough love. I think it was also a good call to do something different with the line system. Even if it isn't better, it helps give each entry a unique feel and a reason to return rather than purely incremental upgrades.

And not only the line system is different in each RB game, but also -- as mentioned before -- the character move sets.
Playing Blue Mary, for instance, is a challenging effort. In RB Special she was split into two different versions, while in RB 2 they "merged" these versions, but now she was given an install super that "complements" her moves.

It's crazy how SNK was not afraid of changing things in the Real Bouts, and I'd say I'm grateful for that, because they ended up creating peculiarly great games.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
RBS is easily my favourite fighting game of all time.
I just wanted to say that and have nothing else worth adding.