Recently Fired Employee Shoots his Boss Dead at Xmas Party

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/12/13/bc-party-shooting-victim-id.html

And like any good Canadian, he politely turns himself into the police once it's over and done with.

Vancouver police have identified the victim of Friday night's shooting at a company Christmas party as Benjamin Banky, 40, the CEO of TallGrass Distributors Ltd.

Banky was killed after a former employee walked into the party, near East 5th Avenue and Quebec Street, and opened fire at approximately 4 p.m. PT.

The 61-year-old gunman, who has not been identified, was taken into custody two hours later, after talking on the phone with police negotiators.

No one else was injured in the shooting.

Police continue to investigate the incident, which Vancouver police Const. Tim Fanning called "horrific."

Vancouver Police Department Const. Tim Fanning called the shooting "horrific." (CBC)
"Our hearts go out to the family of Mr. Banky, to his friends and, in particular, to the employees of his business where he was gunned down," Fanning said. "This is truly a nightmare before Christmas for that business."

Police will recommend the suspect be charged with murder, Fanning said, but it has not been determined whether it will be a first- or second-degree murder charge.

The suspect had been fired on Thursday, the day before the shooting took place. It has not yet been determined how long the he had worked at the company, which sells natural-health supplies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You know what? Don't fire people right before Christmas.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Tell that to KB Toys which decided to declare bankruptcy 2 weeks before Christmas and will liquidate everything. Now THAT sucks!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Tell that to KB Toys which decided to declare bankruptcy 2 weeks before Christmas and will liquidate everything. Now THAT sucks!

Only if you work there...

Otherwise, Buying opportunity.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Well...we will have to wait and see what this guy was fired for. Maybe he was fired for threatening to kill someone.

If that is the case, they had no choice but to fire him and the guy had to follow through with his threat to kill in order to save face.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Only if you work there...
Unfortunately a cousin of mine in management works there and she was informed Thursday afternoon so that sucks though I doubt she'll go on a killing spree over it :make_fac:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
He must've been really pissed about not being able to go to the party.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

KB Toys was still around? Everyone I know of has been gone for years.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
yeah, i see this happening more and more in the not-so-distant future

people have been struggling to stay afloat, and now businesses are struggling to stay afloat

layoffs are accelerating at an incredible rate, and people are already at the edge

not the greatest time to be in a management position

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
don't murder people right before xmas?
Yeah, yeah, murder is bad blah, blah, blah. But if you are going to fire someone a couple weeks before Christmas, and that guy is at an age where it's not the easiest to find another job and now suddenly has no income and maybe no health insurance, you need to be aware of the potential for this to bite you in the ass. You know, open to the possibility that the guy might be upset or something.

I do like that the Vancouver police have a sense of humor, though. "This is truly a nightmare before Christmas." I wonder if this guy thinks up one-liners for all big crimes in his area.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Its canada, where oh where did he get that gun?

HAHAHAHA, mr banky.... Serves you right you greedy bastard.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member

It's more like don't layoff people right before Christmas and then hold an expensive executive Christmas party the next day.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
wonder what it was like moments before he shot the guy. assuming he used a concealed handgun or something. and people were just lookin at him "you know he doesn't work here. why is he at the party?" the awkward stares would be enough to psyche me out of shooting someone

Metalslug

Cham Cham's Banana,
20 Year Member
I imagine it was like the party scene in The Dark Knight. Instead of the knife, it was a gun. Instead of Maggie Gyllenhall, it was the CEO.

SSS

neo retired
Yeah, yeah, murder is bad blah, blah, blah. But if you are going to fire someone a couple weeks before Christmas, and that guy is at an age where it's not the easiest to find another job and now suddenly has no income and maybe no health insurance, you need to be aware of the potential for this to bite you in the ass. You know, open to the possibility that the guy might be upset or something.

I do like that the Vancouver police have a sense of humor, though. "This is truly a nightmare before Christmas." I wonder if this guy thinks up one-liners for all big crimes in his area.

well maybe the CEO did him a favor. Example, what if said employee was going to buy himself or family expensive gifts that might require monthy payments. Now he knows he wouldn't be able to afford such luxuries.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
now suddenly has no income and maybe no health insurance, you need to be aware of the potential for this to bite you in the ass. You know, open to the possibility that the guy might be upset or something.

Except in Canada you do get welfare if you're unemployed and everyone gets universal health care, I know many laugh at the quality and availability, but seriously, compared to US, many have none to begin with.