Recommend great cheeses thks.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So if you want to really make some good cheese decisions, like for gifts, wwwhat would you recommend?

Personally, my favorite cheese to eat is pamesan, or parmigiano reggiano, as it is known, by law, in the old world. It tends to be pricey, but it's perfection. There is no other cheese that can come close for my palate. The nameless hunk of parm at Harris Teeter is delicious. But also very expensive.

I need to get one of those cows to make my own cheese because those things are like money printing machines. A wheel of parm costs over a grand. Why would someone make fake video games when they could make cheese, and deal with less scrutiny?!

Somewhere out there, I did come across a cheese that had a flavor of cheddar and a texture of parm! Seriously, such a thing does exist, and in the same world that we live in. But no one has given me any insight as to where I can get it, except that it was bought at Wholefoods (and none of those things are the same when it comes to third party foods).

I used to love brie and camembert, and I would still have some in a sandwich with the right honey mustard and slices of cucumber.

Goat cheese? Fantastic. Extremely versatile. I can have it on pieces of toast with my tea, or in my salad, or mixed into my spaghetti. Back when I used to eat meat, I would have it on my burgers. I can't tell you what's good, but if anyone here can give some suggestions, please do.

I know GregN's dad will want to read this thread.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Gouda, get yourself some gouda.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
You can't beat some Feta cheese in a salad, especially with beetroot, sliced red onion and some balsamic vinegar, goats cheese works just as well too.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I get that Cracker Barrel American brick from Costco

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Blue Stilton.... farking amazing.

Aged celtic sharp cheddar.

huntsman double gloucester...

P-16-160.jpg

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thanks Craig. I have never been exposed to the bifurcated cheeses. I'll keep an eye out for it. What do you eat it with?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
no one ever comes to me for this and i am a damned specialty cheese broker.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
If you want to stick with italian cheeses, you cannot go wrong with anything under the ambriola/aurricchio/ locatelli flags. Thats all one brand. Ambrioli is aurricchio USA. They own locatelli. All imported from italy. I have yet to have a better provolone than the aurricchio sharp provolone.

rather some French/brie/funky washed rind stuff? anco has a nice series of imported and domestic bries. They are the guys that name their various double and triple creme bries after saints. St Auger and St. Andre are among my favorites.

Something simple and different- try pasture pride 'juusto'. You need to heat it in a pan then eat it. Its like that saganaki stuff you get from greek places without that horrible stench.

Blue? Castello has a nice line of affordable blues- very palatable. but fairly commonplace stuff. Their hirten (not a blue- taste and texturally more like a slightly softer parm with huge crystals). It is completely awesome and is always in my fridge.

swiss/ emmenthaler? check out emmi. if you want to go higher end get either the emmenthaller or the gruyere from their kaltbach line. its got a neat story and it is 100% delicious.

I can reccommend anything from Beechers cheese for cheddars and Cyprus grove for a chevre (especially midnight moon). Those two have some of the best domestic cheeses you can find in the USA now.

Last edited:

Mac91

10 Year Member
I love a good bit of Lancashire cheese... oooh yes please. Much better than that Wensleydale... fooking Yorkshire.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Fine cheese can be an expensive hobby, but oh so good.
attachment.php

I'm going with Colby Jack ,

attachment.php

sorry if its not fancy enough.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you want to stick with italian cheeses, you cannot go wrong with anything under the ambriola/aurricchio/ locatelli flags. Thats all one brand. Ambrioli is aurricchio USA. They own locatelli. All imported from italy. I have yet to have a better provolone than the aurricchio sharp provolone.

rather some French/brie/funky washed rind stuff? anco has a nice series of imported and domestic bries. They are the guys that name their various double and triple creme bries after saints. St Auger and St. Andre are among my favorites.

Something simple and different- try pasture pride 'juusto'. You need to heat it in a pan then eat it. Its like that saganaki stuff you get from greek places without that horrible stench.

Blue? Castello has a nice line of affordable blues- very palatable. but fairly commonplace stuff. Their hirten (not a blue- taste and texturally more like a slightly softer parm with huge crystals). It is completely awesome and is always in my fridge.

swiss/ emmenthaler? check out emmi. if you want to go higher end get either the emmenthaller or the gruyere from their kaltbach line. its got a neat story and it is 100% delicious.

I can reccommend anything from Beechers cheese for cheddars and Cyprus grove for a chevre (especially midnight moon). Those two have some of the best domestic cheeses you can find in the USA now.

Thank you. Hugs.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
My uncle buys tons of raw (unpasteurized) milk cheese from a local farmer and has offered it to me several times. I told him I'm not touching that shit because you can catch lethal infections from it. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in other states.

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Thanks Craig. I have never been exposed to the bifurcated cheeses. I'll keep an eye out for it. What do you eat it with?

crumbled over salad, crusty bread sandwich (Ploughman's lunch), on crackers... you really cant go wrong.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
My uncle buys tons of raw (unpasteurized) milk cheese from a local farmer and has offered it to me several times. I told him I'm not touching that shit because you can catch lethal infections from it. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in other states.

you need all sorts of crazy permits to pull off raw milk/ cheeses/ products in the states. It is much easier to find raw milk products elsewhere in the world.

If the guy has his permits in order (and that involves weekly inspections of facilities) i would definitely try the raw milk cheese. If you have never been down that road, it is worth a try.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Cacio de Roma is a good soft cheese if you're into the sharper stuff.

Also, for the brie lover:

21018_275.jpg

Holy shit is this good stuff.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If you like Parmigiano, try it with Grana Padano, Pecorino (both Italian), Gruyere (Switzerland) or Manchego (Spain).

You should also try Mozzarella di Bufala Campana from Napoli/Cicciano and Caserta, two of the oldest producing regions of this type. It's way more tasty and spicy than the normal Mozzarella. Great to go with cured meat (Salami, prosciutto di San Daniele, etc.) and of course a must for the -real- pizza.

The "central european" stuff I like best are Tilsit and Emmentaler (do yourself a favour and try to find the real DOC one from Switzerland).

I'm also very fond of Greek sheep's cheese, excellent for salads and also hot dishes.

If you're in for the harder (and softer, like Brie) stuff, get yourself some Chaumes from France or Romadur from Belgium.

Bon appetit. :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Bufallo mozzarella is incredible. You cannot make Margherita without it. I do not care if you have a different opinion. Do not share. Blood will flow. Not mine!!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Bleu cheese, preferred on salad or crackers.

Mac91

10 Year Member
Go into a cheesemongers and just buy stuff. Experiment.

Marek

Banned
This thread makes me sad because I ALWAYS buy the dankest cheeses when they go on sale at the market, but never remember their names or anything.

I know Stilton, Guyere, etc. - but I manage to pick up these obscure masterpieces and nevar remember what they're called. It just ends up being that dank shit that made my omelets 1000% better.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Do you have a public market near by? I'd suggest going there and if they have a cheese vendor strike up a conversation with them. Being in Milwaukee at the moment I'm tripping over them, but I am not complaining. They may try to upsell some expensive stuff, but the stand I frequent lets me sample a lot and seems knowledgeable about their product. I'm trying to remember what I bought from them last Christmas, but it was infused with beer, amazing flavor and great on crackers with a bit of smoked sausage.

Cheese is one of those things you just gotta try a bunch of til you find what works best on your palate. Same with most alcohols if you ask me.

Damn...almost Christmas, time to head back to the market for gifts. I stopped getting family members anything material, I never know what to get them. I just get them good beers, cheese, meets, etc. My dad loves that more than getting something he really doesn't need or want. Buy him a hunk of good cheese and a six pack of a good local beer and he is a happy man. I can't say I'm too far from that mentality either.