Record collecting

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
finally got around to playing vhs glitch today. seems to play fine thankfully, doesnt wobble any more than any of my other records (which btw, all seem to have a hump in them at one point when they spin, do i need a better record mat? i think it must not lay perfectly flat)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
finally got around to playing vhs glitch today. seems to play fine thankfully, doesnt wobble any more than any of my other records (which btw, all seem to have a hump in them at one point when they spin, do i need a better record mat? i think it must not lay perfectly flat)

One of my hotline Miami records is slightly warped but plays and sounds fine.

You could always buy one of those products that help you flatten your records but it involves heating it up .. Which seems risky and not worth it me. Especially if it plays fine.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
yea all of my records play perfect, and my stylus is weighted properly, so i just really havnt been concerned with worrying about it much.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
586a5956074b0928e5f9106d56100ed4.jpg

Yep. Got mine too. I liked the metal man variation as well.

Added the sticker to my collection.

8684fa59c002f3fc60281f8ea9910d66.jpg
f7297a777abfabc1680dba1d5bb34582.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hip stickers you...lol

That Megaman soundtrack looks cool, I'd love to hear that Metal Man variation.

Edit: Oh Metal Man variation is just an edition...lol.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's funny, I did the same exact thing with an old bike way back for the same exact reason...it was the cool then...

I wish you could buy the bikes with no lettering whatsoever...I always felt the logos were so tacky, even when I was a kid. I have to confess that having a "specialized" sign on the bike feels pretty special, as in the short bus special...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Isn't that what Bumper stickers are for?

Hiding dents?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Isn't that what Bumper stickers are for?

Hiding dents?

I seriously have no clue. This is my beater bike, I'm proud of it's shittiness. The shittier it looks, the less likely some fucktard will try to steal it.

I think it started with the DALLAS sticker on the top tube and then I got one here and there and now it's becoming a thing, I think in a couple of years it'll be completely covered with stickers and one will think twice to look at it.

It functions like a charm. Just got a new chain and cassette, new brake pads, new rear tire, tuned up and and slighting customized (I shortened up the handlebars to help me navigate in narrow passages between cars on my morning commute.)

While I agree with EC that factory decals and such can be unsightly, I do think there's always exceptions:

My other bike.

453800824694e7d7b8d61568185c9b70.jpg

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Guys what do you think about buying new remastered vinyl albums? Vinyl enthusiasts swear by original pressings because they say the sound quality is better. I have a few remastered vinyl albums which I purchased on amazon and they sound great. I'm thinking about picking up a Joshua Tree on Discogs but don't know if I should go with the new remastered version which is on two discs or the original which is on one disc.

I seriously have no clue. This is my beater bike, I'm proud of it's shittiness. The shittier it looks, the less likely some fucktard will try to steal it.

I think it started with the DALLAS sticker on the top tube and then I got one here and there and now it's becoming a thing, I think in a couple of years it'll be completely covered with stickers and one will think twice to look at it.

It functions like a charm. Just got a new chain and cassette, new brake pads, new rear tire, tuned up and and slighting customized (I shortened up the handlebars to help me navigate in narrow passages between cars on my morning commute.)

While I agree with EC that factory decals and such can be unsightly, I do think there's always exceptions:

My other bike.

453800824694e7d7b8d61568185c9b70.jpg

That's a interesting bike stand.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Guys what do you think about buying new remastered vinyl albums? Vinyl enthusiasts swear by original pressings because they say the sound quality is better. I have a few remastered vinyl albums which I purchased on amazon and they sound great. I'm thinking about picking up a Joshua Tree on Discogs but don't know if I should go with the new remastered version which is on two discs or the original which is on one disc.
I've found it to be hit or miss, really. Some remastered stuff some sounds great, some not so much, others have poor quality pressings. Unless it's something ultra rare, I generally try to track down original pressings.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Some are good pressings some are bad.

Most of the time, good clean re-issue sounds better than a 30 year old Pecko Duck pressing with a few surface defects.

I only have 2 or 3 post-2005 reissues in my collection. But I have a lot of reissues (including record club versions). Most of the time, the reissues are so clean that it more than makes up for being a [supposedly less desirable] pressing. I have only had 3 club pressings that I thought didn't sound right (because of a possible pressing issue).

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I buy the them when I find ones I want new for a good price. My set up is not so high end that I would be able to tell much difference anyhow. My collection is tiny and mostly worthless, except for a few picture discs I got that just for looking at. So, I'm not big tymer enough to only buy originals.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I just get whatever version I can get cheapest, that has the best quality. For example a lot of Bob Marley represses cost more than the originals. So I get the originals. Some stuff like tool aenima is so ridiculous expensive, I just researched and got the best boot, which sounds great. I pick up a lot of represses, but I first check discogs before purchase. Been burned too many times now. If there isn't a n affordable excellent quality repress to buy, and tje original is crazy expensive, i just get the cd. I get cds for most rap anymore, ive noticed most rap lps are garbage.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
In the case of the Joshua tree, If I had a choice of $30 for the 180 gram or $25 for a VG+ original:

$30 all the way.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If anyone comes across any Fast Folk Magazine compilations, I highly recommend you buy them (they should be cheap). I've had some kicking around since August but only just got to playing them. Really good stuff and even people who went on to have semi-successful careers (Suzanne Vega, Shawn Colvin, Michelle Schocked, Roaches, Fred Small).

Really makes me wish I didn't sell my Advent-3 speakers (which sounded amazing when playing acoustic music).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So I just ran out on my lunch break and picked up a stashe of records from CL. The prize of the lot is one of my personal big wants:

The band Harlequin features Lou Marillo (Eric Adams pre-Manowar).
The band Dave Feinstien's Thunder features Dave Feinstein (Rods/Elf) and Joey DeMaio (Pre-Manowar).

sounds79front.jpg

sounds79-back.jpg

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So I just ran out on my lunch break and picked up a stashe of records from CL. The prize of the lot is one of my personal big wants:

The band Harlequin features Lou Marillo (Eric Adams pre-Manowar).
The band Dave Feinstien's Thunder features Dave Feinstein (Rods/Elf) and Joey DeMaio (Pre-Manowar).

sounds79front.jpg

sounds79-back.jpg

Nothing featuring Scott Columbus?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Damn, that's a good find Norton. You can always feel it on Battle Hymns that they had something funky going on...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They (Manowar and Rods) are local, so it isn't impossible to find this stuff. I once found the Dave Feinstein 45 (featuring DeMaio) in a stack of 45's. The Harlequin 45 (featuring adams) still alludes me. DeMaio met Ross the Boss through this record. Demaio likely got the Black Sabbath Roadie gig through Feistein (who is Dio's Cousin). That is where he met Ross the Boss (who was opening for Sabbath).

The best thing to do as a record searcher is to learn every local artist that made it big or develop a cult following. Around here it is is Dio (mostly his doo-wop and boogie rock carreer, Manowar and Gary Wilson (Electronic/Funk Guru with a cult following among musicians). Learn all the the names they played under and all the musicians they played with. Search down every record on online and memorize the cover (or in the case of 45's, label design) and look for them. Memorize all the local labels so you can learn to spot local stuff.

That is how I got this one. I saw the Sounds 79 lp online once and I recognized it in a CL add.

Everybody misses stuff. I was at a record show going through a dearlers $1 45's and pulled this:
https://cdn.discogs.com/wmrLdsx8AG6...ogs-images/R-7004891-1431478291-8265.jpeg.jpg
The singer is Lou Grammatico (Rochester NY) of Foreigner.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nothing featuring Scott Columbus?

Nope. Though I am always on the lookout for anything with Walter Scott COlumbus on it.

The drummer for Dave Fiensten's thunder is actually the original drummer for Manowar. Carl Canedy- Later Drummer of the Rods and Producer of Overkill and Anthrax albums.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
For anyone interested, iam8bit must've found some extra copies of their Battletoads soundtrack LP, because it's back up for sale. For what I can only assume is for a very limited time.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
For anyone interested, iam8bit must've found some extra copies of their Battletoads soundtrack LP, because it's back up for sale. For what I can only assume is for a very limited time.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I've been wanting to pick that up.