Record collecting

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I love getting albums and singles I love on vinyl... there is something about this format that really adds to my enjoyment of music. I guess you can call the mass of records I have a 'collection.' I don't buy records just for the sake of the collection itself though, similar to video games I own. I enjoy record store day but funny how there's a parallel to 'retrogaming...' ...people ruining it by going there just to hoard/flip/price gouge on eBay...

On another note I would like to hear that new Nirvana tribute with These Arms Are Snakes and Circa Survive, etc on it...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Who has heard of Antemasque (new band w/ Omar, Cedric, Flea, and another TMV drummer)? Thoughts?

I think it's gonna be pretty good. I am excited Cedric and Omar are making music together again. People can't expect TMV part II out of it, though. It's just good alternative rock.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Question as old as time. Can any anybody recommend a entry level turn table for under $200?

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Question as old as time. Can any anybody recommend a entry level turn table for under $200?

Eh...Denon and Music Hall have some in the 200 range. Consider saving up a little, and jump to the Pro-Ject Essential.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I don't know how the hell I miss out on these reissues, but gave into getting a silver vinyl on eBay :/

There's a picture of the gold records on one site. If they had to, Music on Vinyl should've made them better looking. Either way, I'm hoping that it will be better sounding.

Who has heard of Antemasque (new band w/ Omar, Cedric, Flea, and another TMV drummer)? Thoughts?
Loving the four ANTEMASQUE songs that are out. The drummer is Dave Elitch, great drummer. Actually was part of Miley Cyrus' live touring group for a period, and has done a bunch of metal gigs as well. Sadly Flea was just there for the studio work. Hoping Juan Alderete will be the full time bassist, but who knows.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
The AT LP120 is a decent 1200 clone and the only table I'd buy new at that price range.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Loving the four ANTEMASQUE songs that are out. The drummer is Dave Elitch, great drummer. Actually was part of Miley Cyrus' live touring group for a period, and has done a bunch of metal gigs as well. Sadly Flea was just there for the studio work. Hoping Juan Alderete will be the full time bassist, but who knows.

I did listen to two of them (the first release song and Drowning All of Your Witches), and DAYW sounds like a Led Zeppelin song from Zeppelin 2. Hopefully, there's a vinyl release of the album. Only a matter of time that the guys reform TMV.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I picked up Joe strummer with the pogues in London.
I probably would have held off now that I know it was included in
the 30 year box set and that the vinyl didn't have a download code.
I've kind of been getting used to having the mp3s too.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Huh?! I thought the afros got into a huge hissy fit and never wanted to talk to each other again...

(This means there's still hope for a full ATDI reunion tour, right? RIGHT?!)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Huh?! I thought the afros got into a huge hissy fit and never wanted to talk to each other again...

(This means there's still hope for a full ATDI reunion tour, right? RIGHT?!)

They patched things up. New band has a lot of ATDI vibes, although with some TMV sprinkles here and there.

I wouldn't hold out for any more ATDI reunion shows. Omar looked bored and annoyed before the first reunion shows even started.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
They patched things up. New band has a lot of ATDI vibes, although with some TMV sprinkles here and there.

I wouldn't hold out for any more ATDI reunion shows. Omar looked bored and annoyed before the first reunion shows even started.

I'm guessing that it's a slim chance that they wouldn't get TMV back together again, but who knows. It's surprising (to me) that Omar and Cedric patched things up so quickly.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
seriously digging the new cedric omar project. nice! this is what i had hoped TMV would have been more like.
in other news, found a 7 inch of The Bollweevils for 50 cent a few days ago.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The last club around here that had "house" 1200's decided to let them go; I got them for really cheap because they were fucking filthy as hell.

Between the pair it took me 6 hours of labor to clean/fix everything, calibrate and match them, and put in new RCAs. Worth it, they sound god damned amazing now.

10155618_10152490021742448_7218305803610525258_n.jpg

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm guessing that it's a slim chance that they wouldn't get TMV back together again, but who knows. It's surprising (to me) that Omar and Cedric patched things up so quickly.
10255570_10152128350408652_4573351555563137139_n.jpg

Don't be too hopeful.

Although a later tweet commented on how we might see a bunch of live shows released.

Why is hip-hop vinyl so cheap?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Why is hip-hop vinyl so cheap?

Mainly due to much larger production runs, especially during time periods when other genres all but abandoned vinyl releases. Vinyl is a staple of the hip-hop DJ, so the industry kept on pressing hip-hop records in large numbers.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cheap?

I guess some is..... I always find that Public Enemy is a bit overpriced.

I only buy Albums though....

The biggest reason is probably that most dealers/collectors don't deal in hip-hop. Go to any record fair and you won't find many people looking for Beanie Seagal.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Yeah you can score a lot of breaks/hiphop/house/whatever DJ stuff just from people who think it's crap.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
just sold about 9 crates worth of old hip-hop, house, funk, disco and boogie to a local record shop for $900.
with about 60 - 100 records per crate i think they paid a little over a dollar per record, which seems fair - even though they'll probably mark 'em up a bunch..
tbh i just wanted them out of my apartment so i think i got a pretty good deal... they even picked it up!

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
LOL. i guess if u really want that orange red vinyl, you gotta pay da price!

skate323k137

10 Year Member
just sold about 9 crates worth of old hip-hop, house, funk, disco and boogie to a local record shop for $900.
with about 60 - 100 records per crate i think they paid a little over a dollar per record, which seems fair - even though they'll probably mark 'em up a bunch..
tbh i just wanted them out of my apartment so i think i got a pretty good deal... they even picked it up!

Honestly with lots that large, anything over 50c a record is a fair deal.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Whoah I totally missed this post. Thanks for the link.

If I remember correctly, Omar's mother died right before coachella so he was in a pretty effed up mood. I'm kidding about the reunion though. It would have happened following coachella if it was going to happen at all.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
This is so funny to me, you can get just about any other color of this same album for about $20, and look at how marked up the sleeve is! :lolz:

Welcome to record collecting, especially for stuff from bands like Converge. :envy: