Record collecting

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Do you guys ever actually listen to VGM music on vinyl often?

I had a bunch from the last few years but only listened to most once or twice and sold a majority of it unless it's something I actually listened to semi frequently or if the packaging was amazing.

Still waiting for Lords of Thunder to get a release.

Just pop in the Lords of Thunder CD. That's the original pressing!

I listen to a lot of VGM vinyl. I do need to cull a good chunk of stuff I don't touch. I don't know why I bought the Data Discs Metal Slug. I like metal slug, but I have no interest in the soundtrack...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Do you guys ever actually listen to VGM music on vinyl often?

I had a bunch from the last few years but only listened to most once or twice and sold a majority of it unless it's something I actually listened to semi frequently or if the packaging was amazing.

Still waiting for Lords of Thunder to get a release.

I really have to be in the mood for it.
Except when it's Outrun, I always got time for Outrun.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah I play Rez, Outrun, Shinobis, SORs, Katamari, Snatcher and Thunderforce IV. I had a ton of 8bit stuff but a lot of that stuff isn't the proper version, missing key tracks or isn't looped so each track is like 30 seconds.

I also find a lot of VGM just doesn't hold up outside of the game. Sure it'll get you hyped playing a boss but outside of it's intended context just feels weird.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Video game music on vinyl must be the most hipster shit around. I've never listened to music outside of a game, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to digitally created bleeps and bloops pressed on 180g vinyl for $40 or whatever they're charging you people for this nonsense.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I can't imagine really buying video game music on vinyl, it doesn't at all fit into why I buy records. I suppose maybe there might be a few soundtracks, like for Wipeout that might stand out well as just a great electronic music LP that I could see buying, but these are few and far between.

Something like this looks like it could be good, in a sense that its a collection put together that might be more than the sum of its parts when you listen to it all the way through

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Diggin-In-The-Carts-A-Collection-Of-Pioneering-Japanese-Video-Game-Music/master/1397512

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I haz pac man fever. LP in the collection, 7" in the Jukebox.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I have a few too like the cool Metroid one, but by the time you find out they exist they are going for stupid prices.

I got the Mother Music Revisited vinyl this week. I forgot I ordered it until I got a shipping notice.

689b7c2c7deb90a6def2d600e31372c2.jpg
I was just thinking about owning Mother on vinyl, what do you think of this release?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Video game music on vinyl must be the most hipster shit around. I've never listened to music outside of a game, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to digitally created bleeps and bloops pressed on 180g vinyl for $40 or whatever they're charging you people for this nonsense.

you suck off men for $40.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Buying newer video game soundtracks makes sense. My hotline Miami 1+2 vinyl is one of my most prized possessions. The old stuff from the 8-bit and 16-bit gen might not seem to make sense but I like it for collection purposes. The art is usually really nice with these releases.

This all being said, I went through 2020 without buying a single record. That was the first time I've done that since 2009.

I stopped caring for limited pressings and having to log on at a certain time to buy stuff I want. I also haven't been going to record stores and digging through stuff. I guess the combination of being bitter about the scene and not feeling inclined to go record shopping because of Corona contributed my apathy.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Was pretty happy to find substance out in the wild.

VDWLK3i.jpg

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah I've had the cd since it came out, and its cool because it has a few more songs, but this sounds excellent.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Substance is great, happy I found my copy for a really good price a few years ago.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I didn't realize how expensive some of the good stuff from the 80s has become. I got my brother in laws collection a few years ago all original pressing and a ton of UK imports.

New Order
Joy Division
Nine Inch Nails
Front 242
Skinny Puppy
Talk Talk Talk
The Cure
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
Tears For Fears
Circle Jerks
Blondie
Repoman ST
FEAR
Killing Joke
TSOL
Madness
The Specials

Tons of stuff. Some of it looked like he'd never even played it. Unfortunately he didn't store it properly and 30 years of sitting in a nasty storage unit ruined at least half of it.

A mint sealed copy of Substance survived.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Noooooo shit.

It's one of those records I always hoped of stumble on. I bought the CD instead.

I recently found the CD for a dollar at Goodwill. No New Order in my record collection tho. That Angel Dust got me excited. Easily one of Faith No More’s underrated albums.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I didn't realize how expensive some of the good stuff from the 80s has become. I got my brother in laws collection a few years ago all original pressing and a ton of UK imports.

New Order
Joy Division
Nine Inch Nails
Front 242
Skinny Puppy
Talk Talk Talk
The Cure
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
Tears For Fears
Circle Jerks
Blondie
Repoman ST
FEAR
Killing Joke
TSOL
Madness
The Specials

Tons of stuff. Some of it looked like he'd never even played it. Unfortunately he didn't store it properly and 30 years of sitting in a nasty storage unit ruined at least half of it.

A mint sealed copy of Substance survived.

Damn he had good taste, that's a shame.
FEAR, I never see anything out in the wild -ever. But I do live in the midwest so not too shocking.

Yeah this FNM Angel Dust is the Music on Vinyl version but damn does it sound good, and clear af.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Damn, that’s some good scooping. Even if the jackets are messed up, if the records still play, that’s excellent stuff.

Speaking of which, crown jewels of your collections?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

The only record I have ever had a hard time finding and cost more than I am usually willing to spend. I'd like to own more Italo Disco cuts but they don't exactly pop up too often here in Ohio.

Also the Basement Reords Masters series, stellar releases if you like good DnB.

Got around 500 records here's a bunch of stuff I'm really glad I own regardless of value:

Fugazi: In on the Kill Taker
Lootpack: Soundpieces
Ghostface: Ironman
Gza: Liquid Swords
DJ Shadow: Entroducing and Preemptive Strike
Beastie Boys: Pauls Boutique, Check Your Heand and Ill Communication
Dr. Octagon: Octagonencologist
The Sound: From the Lions Mouth
Agent Orange: Living in Darkness
Pharcyde: Labcabincalifornia
Vast Aire: Look Ma No Hands

Misc. 80s and 90s Japanese City Pop and Funk
Most of DJ Krush discography
Most of Carpenters STs
Bunch of Kool Keith
Bunch of stuff from Italians do it Better, Daptone, Valerie Recs.
Bunch of stuff from Umberto, Italtek, Tyco, Bonobo, Purturbator, Thievery Corp.

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Dope man, sounds like you've got a pretty nice collection. But yeah, same here. A lot of stuff I'm stoked to have found, even if it's not particularly rare or valuable. Off the top of my head, here are some:

Cro Mags - The Age of Quarrel
Mishima OST
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, original FACT10 UK pressing
The Clash - Discography, original US pressings. Combat Rock specifically is one of my favorite records.
The Quakes - S/T
Various Discharge releases on Clay Records
Various Windows 96 releases
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus (this is the reissue on Def Jux, but I'm just happy to have it at all)

In terms of game music, even stuff that is just "bleeps and bloops", apparently, got some heavy hitters:

Samurai Shodown
Gradius 1-3
Streets of Rage 1-4
Fatal Fury
Thunder Force IV
Celeste
Super Mario World
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Art of Fighting 1 & 2
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi III
Contra
Every Castlevania record that has ever been pressed (no bootleg stuff though)

A lot of my record collection was put away when we moved last year. I'll have to pull it out and starting spinning through all of it again. At this point, I don't even remember everything I have.

Oh, and speaking of The Sound, Jeopardy is one that I've been after for a long, long time. I don't want to pay Discogs prices for it though. I kinda doubt I'll ever find it, but I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I got the Pulstar in the mail last week and I was surprised on how bad it sounded. The cd record sounds ok but the rom version sounds like crap.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I got the record shortly after it came out, and thought it sounded ok. I'll have to give it another listen.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I got the record shortly after it came out, and thought it sounded ok. I'll have to give it another listen.

The CD record sounded ok but the Rom Version sounded muddy. Unless I got a bad batch.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The CD record sounded ok but the Rom Version sounded muddy. Unless I got a bad batch.
Mine sounded the same way, I'm thinking just the quality of the rom version itself

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk