Record collecting

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Traded a big box of 70s and 80s radio crap records into the local hardcore store and walked away with these this past weekend.
f80dd128b817688738f0f82a2ef358db.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Picked up some stuff in the last couple months:

ATCQ- Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders
Open Mike Eagle- Unapologetic Art Rap
Jean Grae- The Evil Jeanius
Jean Grae and Quellis Chris- Everything's Fine
Czarface and Instectah Deck
FM Attack- Deja Vu
Beastie Boys- In Sound From the Wat Out, Hot Sauce Committee and Ill Communication
Madlib- Bandana Beats
Madlib & Freddy Gibbs- Bandana and Piñata
X-ecutioners- Built From Scratch
Sleep- The Sciences
Minutemen- Politics of the Time
Pixies- Bossa Nova
The Roots- ...and Then You Shoot Your Cousin
Mr. Lif- I Phantom

Also a ton of stuff by Johnny Jewel and Italians do it Better.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Grabbed these a few weeks ago. Man that husker du live album was a mistake. Its a later recording and they are just so clearly bored and slow and blah about playing the songs.
20210430_165730.jpg

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Bringing this thread back to ask you record folks for some advice.

I'm in the process of downsizing a lot of my collections, next up is my record collection. I started collecting maybe 20 years ago and have acquired a few collections along the way. I've never been collectard status seeking rare/collectible stuff, rather I just grabbed records I liked listening too. It's mostly 70s/80s rock and pop.

Anyways I've rented a table at my local flea market next weekend and wondering what the best way to get organized for it is.

Questions:
1. I don't know what anything is really worth. Is Discogs a good starting point for roughly pricing stuff out?
2. Should I organize my shit in alphabetical order or in price ranges (like $1, $5, $10 bins etc).
3. Anything else I should know before going in?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Bringing this thread back to ask you record folks for some advice.

I'm in the process of downsizing a lot of my collections, next up is my record collection. I started collecting maybe 20 years ago and have acquired a few collections along the way. I've never been collectard status seeking rare/collectible stuff, rather I just grabbed records I liked listening too. It's mostly 70s/80s rock and pop.

Anyways I've rented a table at my local flea market next weekend and wondering what the best way to get organized for it is.

Questions:
1. I don't know what anything is really worth. Is Discogs a good starting point for roughly pricing stuff out?
2. Should I organize my shit in alphabetical order or in price ranges (like $1, $5, $10 bins etc).
3. Anything else I should know before going in?
Discogs is a good starting point. If you're looking to move stuff, maybe price it at 10% less or on the lower end of the discogs value. I prefer looking through bins in alphabetical order, but that's just me. Like the $10 bin in alphabetical order, the $5 bin in alphabetical order, etc.

Also, be open to bundle deals or haggles from people, but also know what your bottom line for each record is going to be so you don't get screwed out of some extra money. It really all depends, are you maxing profit or clearing volume?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Discogs is a good starting point. If you're looking to move stuff, maybe price it at 10% less or on the lower end of the discogs value. I prefer looking through bins in alphabetical order, but that's just me. Like the $10 bin in alphabetical order, the $5 bin in alphabetical order, etc.

Also, be open to bundle deals or haggles from people, but also know what your bottom line for each record is going to be so you don't get screwed out of some extra money. It really all depends, are you maxing profit or clearing volume?
Thanks for the tips.

Mostly clearing volume at this point so I'm cool with haggling. I live in a small town so I don't mind hooking up all my neighbors with fair prices.

I'll start with discogs as a starting point for price. I also want to make sure I don't overlook some hidden gem I didn't know I had so hopefully Discogs helps with that too.

Wondering if I should get one of those portable credit card readers setup too...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wondering if I should get one of those portable credit card readers setup too...
I have one that I use in my art studio and I'd say it gets used for 75% of my sales. I imagine with records it may not be necessary since they will most likely be smaller sales in cash, especially at a flea market. But it's a good idea to have one, a surprising amount of people don't do Venmo, Cash App etc. so if someone wants to buy a bunch of stuff or you have some pricey individual records you're good to go.

They're easy to use and cheap, actually I think they give you credit to cover the cost of the reader when you activate it since they make their money on the transaction fees (which are fairly low). Just give yourself enough lead time for it to show up in the mail, I think it takes about 2 weeks if you choose slow shipping.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I have one that I use in my art studio and I'd say it gets used for 75% of my sales. I imagine with records it may not be necessary since they will most likely be smaller sales in cash, especially at a flea market. But it's a good idea to have one, a surprising amount of people don't do Venmo, Cash App etc. so if someone wants to buy a bunch of stuff or you have some pricey individual records you're good to go.

They're easy to use and cheap, actually I think they give you credit to cover the cost of the reader when you activate it since they make their money on the transaction fees (which are fairly low). Just give yourself enough lead time for it to show up in the mail, I think it takes about 2 weeks if you choose slow shipping.
I ended up borrowing one but then not using it since I forgot you need cell reception to run transactions, doh. I don't have a cell phone plan these days so that was a no go. In the end everyone had cash except for one or two people, one of which went to an atm and came back.

In the end I had a great day, sold over four figures worth of records, and reduced my load by about 5-6 boxes. Plus shared lots of laughs with cool people. Thinking about doing it again in the spring already.

29701247-BBF8-47FF-981A-0C47A942E45C.jpeg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
11F790F1-88A3-4F87-B427-33190E34BBD7.jpeg
Got around to replacing some doubles that were loaned out and never returned. UMC’s ‘Jive Talk’ sampled this for the beat.

Really cool take on the Kinks’ classic-and fun to beat juggle @skate323k137.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Went crate-digging on Sat with @gusmoney and @white castle at Double Decker Records, Allentown, PA. Scored a Samhain bootleg and a really nice German 1st pressing of Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction. Cool store, good selection and prices, nice staff. Recommended.

Hope y’all stopped at Yacco’s for pierogis and hot dogs! There’s some great toy stores in Allentown, too.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I ended up borrowing one but then not using it since I forgot you need cell reception to run transactions, doh. I don't have a cell phone plan these days so that was a no go. In the end everyone had cash except for one or two people, one of which went to an atm and came back.

In the end I had a great day, sold over four figures worth of records, and reduced my load by about 5-6 boxes. Plus shared lots of laughs with cool people. Thinking about doing it again in the spring already.

View attachment 60454
What did Brian May end up buying?

Reactions: wyo

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Went to a local record fair a while ago, it was a bit of a disappointment, lots of boomers with overpriced Iron Maiden LP's.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Those record fairs suck. Bunch of same sellers with their overpriced stuff but yeah cannot blame them if boomers are buying. You have to hit the flea markets and have patience to find deals.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Went to a local record fair a while ago, it was a bit of a disappointment, lots of boomers with overpriced Iron Maiden LP's.
That’s how it is these days. It’s either over priced or over priced and full of groove damage that you won’t find out until you get it home.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You gotta just find a nice local shop for used stuff. They usually tend to actually care about the stock and customer service.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
You gotta just find a nice local shop for used stuff. They usually tend to actually care about the stock and customer service.
Yes, small/independent shops are the best, then there are always thrift stores and the like, but the latter are frequented by flippers these days.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
yeah i wouldn't waste my time with places like or flea markets that anymore. 25€ for a repress of queens "a kind of magic"? get the fuck out of here.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Record Fairs can be amazing. You guys must be doing the shitty ones. The ultimate is the one is Austin or the WFMU record fair but honestly even the one that runs through Ann Arbor always maxes out what I have to spend.

I usually just buy from the local shops though. We have several that are as old as I am and the used record scene here is very strong. Nothing beats a good shop.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yes, small/independent shops are the best, then there are always thrift stores and the like, but the latter are frequented by flippers these days.
Aye. I don't collect records, but, I've seen the flippers frequenting my local thrift store, checking prices on their cellphones, and walking out with stacks of them.