Region breaking your 3DS (Sry, doesn't work for new 3ds)

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Just tried this out today on my EU 3DSXL model, playing Project Mirai 2 (JP region game) and it all worked flawlessly.

I read some people saying once they booted their game up, it would freeze the system if they pressed the Home button. So basically if you do this, you're not switching around to other games. The system seems to work like nothing has been done to it afterwards (like after fully shutting off and restarting). Nothing in the Activity Log or anything.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
thx for sharing this buddy! Region lock is my biggest complaint about the 3DS. Nintendo hasn't region locked any handhelds for like 20 years and then all of a sudden decide to? :thevt:

I'd like to try this but I don't have any other region 3ds games to test atm. Also as you mentioned it might get scrapped with an update, I do enjoy using the e-shop with the 3ds and it tends to need to update often to use that, so if I had to pick between region free and E-shop, I'd unfortunately choose the latter. Still though, I'm really glad this has been made possible.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I played around with this today and got it working pretty easily. Now I can finally play that copy of Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary in picked up on the cheap. I fully expect Nintendo to patch this quickly tho.

I really enjoyed importing DS games and it's a shame the 3DS is locked down. Region locking the 3DS was a bone headed decision, but hey - that's Nintendo!

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
This is great news, but unfortunately it's more than probable that Nintendo patches it in the next firmware update... so I'm not sure if I will be getting imports any time soon.

Having to be connected to the internet for it to work kinda sucks, but hopefully they'll find a way to make it permanent and autonomous.

Man, more than half of my original DS collection are imports (American & Jap), Nintendo would be getting much more money from me if it was region free! Europe sucks for gaming, prices are always so steep!

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Anyone have any recommendations for jap-only release titles? I was interested in getting a japanese region 3ds (but for VC). If this solves half the problem, maybe I'll wait a little longer and see if there is a different solution for loading virtual console games to the memory card. I realize that hasn't happened yet, and maybe wont... but I can at least try out some region locked imports for now to tide me over!

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
It would be cool if this doesn't get patched. I'd probably get Dragon Quest Theatrythm if it doesn't find its way to NA

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Cool that someone found a way to play import 3ds games but are there really any worth importing and are import friendly?

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
thanks! will order DQ Theatrhythm and start on DQ VII

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Cool that someone found a way to play import 3ds games but are there really any worth importing and are import friendly?

Depends on your taste, really.

There was Project Mirai, Senran Kagura, Sayonara Umihara Kawase.... but al of those have been or are being localized.

I've already imported them so for me, just means I can play them on an XL screen instead of the original.