Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from Games?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
The last of my Neo Geo carts came in from China & they smell like the tailpipe of a tractor truck. Any way to remove the smell of cigarettes from these things? washing them down doesn't seem to do anything. I guess they did a ton of chain smoking in Chinese arcades:smirk:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The last of my Neo Geo carts came in from China & they smell like the tailpipe of a tractor truck. Any way to remove the smell of cigarettes from these things? washing them down doesn't seem to do anything. I guess they did a ton of chain smoking in Chinese arcades:smirk:

Wrap the games in a bunch of newspaper and seal them up in a garbage bag or box for at least a few weeks.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I have no idea what the Neo Geo scene is like across the pond, but I'd believe anything can happen at this point. Congrats on Brexit going through by the way.

Not yet

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have used a product called 'bad air sponge' that works well, sneakerballs, and plain ol' baking soda, open in a contained box or something with the cart. For really smelly arcade carts you have to use a combination of these methods over and over but you can get it out mostly.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer

https://archive.fo/VPBUD

I thought it did? here's an archived link, just in case they changed the story, but this is what I read recently about it.

I have used a product called 'bad air sponge' that works well, sneakerballs, and plain ol' baking soda, open in a contained box or something with the cart. For really smelly arcade carts you have to use a combination of these methods over and over but you can get it out mostly.

Something I'm going to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Try putting it in a sealed container with an old, clean sock filled with activated charcoal (the kind used in fish tanks for filtering) and leave it in there for a few days. I've done that with a disk drive from a Twin Famicom that reeked with cig smoke smell. Worked pretty well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Start smoking. You will no longer notice it.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Soap, water, toothbrush.

Honestly this is the only way. Cart has to be opened and cleaned, including the boards, otherwise the smell will remain. I've had a few like that, now they smell delicious, it's worth the effort imo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had a few like that, now they smell delicious, it's worth the effort imo.

Dude, stop trying to eat the boards. Go to Aldi and pick up some repro Girl Scout cookies if you have the munchies.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sealed container with lots of baking soda will make a big difference if you give it a week or so. Do start with Xian Xi's advice before this step.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Take apart the cartridges and wipe them down with 200 proof ethyl alcohol. That will make a fair dent in the smell. Fill a spray bottle with ethyl alcohol and spray a mist into the whole unit. That will get rid of some more of the smell. The PCBs inside also wipe down with the ethyl alcohol.

Best thing i have found so far for getting rid of the stink. Ethyl, not isopropol. Everclear works fine if you can't get the real stuff. Everclear does have a slight amount of water in it, so wait for everything to dry out.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Cut an apple in half and put them into there. Take out before it grows mold.

Gunbu

I had a Sam Sho II that I purchased from Bill Burger that came from a Japanese arcade that reeked of cigarettes. Actually, the inside of the cart looked like it was used as an ashtray. I took out the boards and washed them with warm water and dishsoap with a toothbrush. Cleaned the case too afterwards but I damaged the label. Got rid of all the smell though.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Soap and water. Then just letting it air out.for a long time is usually enough for me.