Removing silver conductive paint ? Bodged AES socket install [FIXED]

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Hey guys,

I have an AES for repair. The owner removed the original BIOS and attempted to fit a socket for a UniBios.

When it didn't work he put some silver conductive paint around the socket legs. I suspect that in one or two places this may be short circuiting.

If I carefully pick away at it with a scalpel I can remove some.. however this is not ideal since I don't want silver conductive bits of paint going here there and everywhere..

At this moment in time the brand of paint is unknown.. does anyone have any tips for removal of this substance? :help:

*--- UPDATE ---*

Fixed this yesterday.

Tested and shows scrambled graphics, random colours, does not appear to boot, game cartridges would not load. Result of botched original BIOS removal. Socket was installed on top of pads, silver conductive paint spread around the pads.

Removed and discarded socket. Cleaned top and bottom BIOS area of PCB with Isopropyl Alcohol. Used a wooden toothpick to remove as much silver conductive paint as possible. Added solder to all holes, to desolder and clear holes.

Tested continuity between pads and traces, and bottom of board to top of board (vias), found 8 broken traces. Made a diagram on paper. Installed a socket. Used kynar wire to connect pads to broken traces. Cartridges now load, no graphical problems, hardware tests pass OK – system fully functional.

aes_repair260208_1.jpg

aes_repair260208_2.jpg

Last edited:

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for that - I did try googling first, but when I did it, all I found was the wrong stuff..

I already did try Isopropyl Alcohol and it had very very little effect..

I will see if I can get my hands on a bit of Acetone though.. and the wooden toothpick idea mentioned further along in that thread sounds very good.

Thanks!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wow...

Acetone is the greatest substance ever created.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Most fingernail polish remover is 100% acetone. Cheap and easy to find.

Just make sure the bottle does say 100% acetone.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
ki_atsushi said:
Most fingernail polish remover is 100% acetone. Cheap and easy to find.

Just make sure the bottle does say 100% acetone.

I actually have a hard time finding 100% acetone fingernail polish remover anymore most of it is proudly "acetone free!" on the bottle. It's cheap and easy to go to the hardware department and get a gallon of acetone for a couple bucks. Available at walmart near the paint supplies. Or any hardware store will have it as well.

cheers,
-DT