Replacement Neo memory cards?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
daybona said:
Its also possible to replace the battery in your memory card.

Hardmvs.com has a very good faq on how to replace the battery. I just picked up the battery, took out the old one, resoldered the new one and glued everything back together, so I only spent 3 bucks instead of 30.

I was that man :p

There has to be a bulk order deal screaming out somewhere for cheap and chearfull PCMCIA type 2 cards. I bet there would be suppliers (out of the neogeo scene) who can not give them away nowadays.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
TMOSteel said:
Just a follow up on this post:

Picked up a 4MB Panasonic SRAM card on eBay for $29.00 (finally). It's the type with an internal battery (rechargeable) + a replaceable Lithium-Ion battery.
I have something similar. I bought a new 1MB rechargeable card on ebay. It works fine, after getting it formatted. Only problem is one time it was left in the MVS with the system turned on for a while, and I'm not sure what happened to it, but it was crashed when I returned. I had to reformat the whole card and lose all of my saves before the system would boot with that card again. I just hope this isn't something that happens regularly, otherwise it's going to be pretty pointless, losing my saves all the time, when the whole point of getting a larger card was so that I could keep everything.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
I have something similar. I bought a new 1MB rechargeable card on ebay. It works fine, after getting it formatted. Only problem is one time it was left in the MVS with the system turned on for a while, and I'm not sure what happened to it, but it was crashed when I returned. I had to reformat the whole card and lose all of my saves before the system would boot with that card again. I just hope this isn't something that happens regularly, otherwise it's going to be pretty pointless, losing my saves all the time, when the whole point of getting a larger card was so that I could keep everything.

Hmm, well, in this case, I don't think size really matters, as far as your problem goes, that is.

It could be any numbers of things, honestly.

I have not had any issues with the Panasonic card as of yet, but memory can be kind of twitchy to begin with, as anybody who works with PC's can attest to. And I have ZERO experience with SRAM cards to begin with (never had a notebook that used them) so other than the Neo that's pretty much it.

Could be the type/brand of card, the specification (the Neo has a certain "JEIDA" requirement, but I don't have a manual at work to look it up), etc. etc. Could also be a defective card, who knows?

Any other Neo's around for you to test it in?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Well, I mean it works, and nothing has gone wrong with it since. It was just that one time it got corrupted for no apparent reason. I will let you know if it happens again.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I found a surefire way to corrupt my otherwise working 1MB rechargeable SRAM card. In the hardware test menu, go to the memory card test screen at any time, and it will say "card error" at which point it will become corrupted. You can always fix it by reformatting, but I'm wondering if other people's cards get ruined by doing that too.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
I found a surefire way to corrupt my otherwise working 1MB rechargeable SRAM card. In the hardware test menu, go to the memory card test screen at any time, and it will say "card error" at which point it will become corrupted. You can always fix it by reformatting, but I'm wondering if other people's cards get ruined by doing that too.
I really wish someone would reply to this. I keep losing all my memory because I go into the hardware test and forget to take out the memory card first. I want to know if anyone else has had this problem, if it happens with all non-official memory cards bigger than the regular one, or if I should buy a different card. Because this isn't working out for me.

It's not that I'm asking someone else to try corrupting their card, I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem, or any further information about it.

Please. :help:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I solved my memory card issue by buying a second card. Now I use my 1 MB rechargeable card as the main card, and periodically I use the memory manager to copy all the data over to another 512k card. It's a one step process to copy it all in one chunk, so it really isn't a problem. Now I can be certain that I won't lose everything permanently ever again. If I ever accidentally format it or run the memory card test with the card in there, I can always pop back in the other card and get back most of the data I had. It's actually quite slick.

I still keep an original SNK card around for no real particular reason, other than that it's the only one that saves the Unibios settings. But I don't really need it for that either, since the Unibios begins in Europe AES mode, which is usually my default choice anyway.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
I still keep an original SNK card around for no real particular reason, other than that it's the only one that saves the Unibios settings.

Alec-

Only the SNK card saves the UniBios settings when left in? You've checked this with the other card(s) you have?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
TMOSteel said:
Alec-

Only the SNK card saves the UniBios settings when left in? You've checked this with the other card(s) you have?
Yes. But since it really only saves the region and home/arcade settings, it's not too important. I was discussing this with Razoola in the Unibios 2.2 thread a little too, and it sounds like the alternative cards are supposed to be able to do it. I have two completely different cards now, so I don't know if it's just my bad luck or what.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Buying them on ebay isn't too bad. I've done it twice. Not really more expensive than a memory card for any other system.