Reproduction/ Boot Games (non-Neo Geo)

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
When would you consider it okay to purchase a replica game cart?

The other day I toyed with the idea of buying a Star Ocean SNES cart that's been translated to English.

Star_Ocean_(US).jpg

For the sake of argument I also mention unreleased stuff such as Star Fox 2 and Fan Hacks such as Legend of Zelda Parallel Worlds.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have a translated SNES Dragon Quest III on the way. Just for shits. Flash carts make them unnecessary.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I have a few repro games here and there. I think it's definitely okay to purchase repro games that have been translated (while giving credit where it's due) or never officially released, and while I understand the downside of people making reproductions of expensive games, I still own a few because I'm not paying $600 for a mediocre Turbo Duo game.

Game Sack just did a video on this very topic:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I have a translated SNES Dragon Quest III on the way. Just for shits. Flash carts make them unnecessary.

For some, but not for, say, Star Fox 2, or Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima or any other game with a special chip that can't be emulated by SD2SNES.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
There also a number of SNES games that don't work with Flash Carts.
They mostly use chips that can't be hardware emulated or reproduced. Even SD2SNES can't run certain roms. Link
Like Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 used a chip for some custom on-the-fly decompression/decryption as those games are fricking huge (by SNES standards)
Although with the Neviksti hack expanding the rom to 96Mbits Star Ocean to be playable on the SNES power Pak.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have no problem with bootlegs, repros, translations, or conversions of any kind as long as they are not being passed off as genuine and sold.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have no problem with bootlegs, repros, translations, or conversions of any kind as long as they are not being passed off as genuine and sold.

+1 on that

I don't usually buy bootlegs. In the past I would buy the bootleg to try it out and if its good buy the real thing.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think I own 2 boots: Ironclad MVS Stefano "kit" and a SamShoIII that came with my CMVS (if anyone wants it fo' free, LMK). Generally I despise bootlegs, especially one designed to look real. Buy the real thing or play teh ROMz like Shroom said.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
lately ebay has been flooded with boots.. don't really know why people would pay around $40 for such a cart that has absolutely no true value.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I buy whatever I can play, like repro Targa, Ghoslop, Bang Bang Busters, you know stuff like that. Everdrives do make that rather dumb but hey whatever, if you have to ask people if it's ok to buy a repro then you could be a retro-douchebag and not know it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Who knows, you could pay $30,000 for one.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not really crazy about repros, but taking Japanese games and putting the English roms on them is pretty awesome imo.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I'm not really crazy about repros, but taking Japanese games and putting the English roms on them is pretty awesome imo.

Even more fun is when you mod the cart to have BOTH roms and a physical switch to go between languages.
I did that with my copy of FF3 on Famicom.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Even more fun is when you mod the cart to have BOTH roms and a physical switch to go between languages.
I did that with my copy of FF3 on Famicom.

While cool, how often do you actually play the game in Japanese?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I've played the entire game in Japanese.
It's not that hard. Everything is in kana, and it's all very simple.
All you need is basic kana and grammar knowledge and access to a dictionary.

It's not a fucking SMT game with all those complicated kanji.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Aw how cute, well maybe you should translate the Samurai Shodown Neo CD RPG since it's not completed yet!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I've played the entire game in Japanese.
It's not that hard. Everything is in kana, and it's all very simple.
All you need is basic kana and grammar knowledge and access to a dictionary.

It's not a fucking SMT game with all those complicated kanji.

Guess shitposting on /a/ finally paid off.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I have a repro of star ocean.Mostly because i can't play it off the super everdrive.I say it's worth having a copy of the game.Unless from a moral standpoint you're put off by it,there's all ways emulation.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I don't mind, so long as they don't use valuable games as sacs. I know for one of the games being repro on NES the Subsift Batman is being sacced, which sucks because that game rocks and is climbing in price.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
I have a few repro games here and there. I think it's definitely okay to purchase repro games that have been translated (while giving credit where it's due) or never officially released

I am part of the same school of thought. I have no problem doing this and been very interested in Star Ocean same as the OP.

p.s. where would one find one? I remember retrousb used to sell them. There is always Ebay.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I don't mind, so long as they don't use valuable games as sacs. I know for one of the games being repro on NES the Subsift Batman is being sacced, which sucks because that game rocks and is climbing in price.

You're thinking of Gimmick!, and I'm pretty sure they no longer need to use Return of the Joker anymore to make a repro of it. I think they use brand new boards but, yeah, while that was happening, the price on it was going up.

Jon