Resident Evil HD Remake is out

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this yet. It dropped a few days ago. Is anybody playing it? I just bought it. I'm playing with the new controls which makes it a lot more bearable (imo). I can't remember much about the first game, so I'm not sure what all the differences are. I'd like to hear other people's impressions on it (Taiso?).

Game looks really fucking good. I really like the faint ambient soundtrack that you almost don't realize is there. I don't remember much of any music from the first game.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Yeah it's been out for a few days. Thought about getting it on Steam but haven't gotten around to it yet. I would like to play it though.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I ran through BSAA Jill's campaign yesterday and man do I love the fact that they added new costumes to one of my favorite games of all time. Its a more the a decade old game and here they are adding new content to it. Its a weird but really cool feeling. Gives the game a really fresh feeling.

Looking forward to BSAA Chris and hope they add more costumes in the future.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've bought Resident Evil 1 more than enough times by this point. Original PS1 release, Director's Cut PS1, Gamecube remake, DS remake.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the ps3 and ps4 versions? or are they essentially identical?

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Difference between PS3 and PS4 is not much at all - I believe is 720p v 1080p. the PS3 version is the only physical copy of the game you can buy AFAIK (Play Asia sells it)

I have the PC version - really enjoying it, especially with a Xbox controller plugged in. Incidentally its the only version that runs at 60fps. All the console ports are 30fps

I totally dig the ambient background noises also, very cool touch. Now i just wish Capcom would put back in the original voices in the game

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I've been thinking about getting it for PS4, but want to finish The Evil Within and Alien Isolation first.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Difference between PS3 and PS4 is not much at all - I believe is 720p v 1080p. the PS3 version is the only physical copy of the game you can buy AFAIK (Play Asia sells it)

I have the PC version - really enjoying it, especially with a Xbox controller plugged in. Incidentally its the only version that runs at 60fps. All the console ports are 30fps

I totally dig the ambient background noises also, very cool touch. Now i just wish Capcom would put back in the original voices in the game

Is there any new content, besides some costumes or something? Like some extra modes?

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Is there any new content, besides some costumes or something? Like some extra modes?

One thing I think a lot of people overlooked is they added a new control scheme. REALLY a big plus IMO!

Phyeir

Never had an issue with tank play, but that is a nice improvement for anyone getting it, after reading about it.

Will probably just stick with the GCN one though, have the whole part of the series that matters there... gotta make that component cable pay for itself :p

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Never had an issue with tank play, but that is a nice improvement for anyone getting it, after reading about it.

Will probably just stick with the GCN one though, have the whole part of the series that matters there... gotta make that component cable pay for itself :p

Haha nice.

I don't have an issue with the tank play either, but it certainly did not age well at all.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Used to love it back in the day on the PS1 and gamecube. Now that I am spoiled with other games, it feels like an outdated mess even with the new control scheme, improved graphics and 60 fps on PCs. How do you guys even play on the consoles with stuttering 30 fps and lower quality graphics is beyond me...

Phyeir

Used to love it back in the day on the PS1 and gamecube. Now that I am spoiled with other games, it feels like an outdated mess even with the new control scheme, improved graphics and 60 fps on PCs. How do you guys even play on the consoles with stuttering 30 fps and lower quality graphics is beyond me...

fc77404_back-in-the-days-trolling-meant-something.jpg

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this yet. It dropped a few days ago. Is anybody playing it? I just bought it. I'm playing with the new controls which makes it a lot more bearable (imo). I can't remember much about the first game, so I'm not sure what all the differences are. I'd like to hear other people's impressions on it (Taiso?).

Game looks really fucking good. I really like the faint ambient soundtrack that you almost don't realize is there. I don't remember much of any music from the first game.

I started playing the game a few months ago on PS3, and between the new controls, amazing OST, better voices, 16:9 aspect ratio, and improved models, this is a case of a great game made even better.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I started playing the game a few months ago on PS3, and between the new controls, amazing OST, better voices, 16:9 aspect ratio, and improved models, this is a case of a great game made even better.

The old dialog should be an option. Shit's classic...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

The difference are:

Controls can be stick or tank based-I still play with tank because it just grew on me.

16:9 or 4:3 screen support. For the 16:9 play, it uses a sort of a 'smart pan and scan' feature, for lack of a better description. Devs redrew every zone in the game to accomodate the 16:9.

HD graphics.

Infinite grenade exploit is gone.

New costumes.

Trophy support.

If there are other differences, I don't know about them.

Don't forget to link the game and your account to RE.net because I'm sure they'll be giving away a ton of rewards and bonus features throughout the lifespan of the game.

Playing it on the PS4 and really enjoying it so far, even though I'm sure I've played the game well over a hundred times. It never gets old for me.

As for the music, it's so much better than the PSX director's cut OST. For REmake, and hence for this version, it uses a new arrangement of the OST from the original Resident Evil for PSX. I've always preferred that original OST over Director's Cut. It's simply fantastic.

EDIT: For those of you who didn't know REmake for GC had an infinite grenade exploit, here's a breakdown for how it worked:

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Grenade-Glitch-in-Resident-Evil-Game-Cube-Remake

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've bought Resident Evil 1 more than enough times by this point. Original PS1 release, Director's Cut PS1, Gamecube remake, DS remake.

Nobody cares.

Nobody cares.

The difference are:

Controls can be stick or tank based-I still play with tank because it just grew on me.

16:9 or 4:3 screen support. For the 16:9 play, it uses a sort of a 'smart pan and scan' feature, for lack of a better description. Devs redrew every zone in the game to accomodate the 16:9.

HD graphics.

Infinite grenade exploit is gone.

New costumes.

Trophy support.

If there are other differences, I don't know about them.

Don't forget to link the game and your account to RE.net because I'm sure they'll be giving away a ton of rewards and bonus features throughout the lifespan of the game.

Playing it on the PS4 and really enjoying it so far, even though I'm sure I've played the game well over a hundred times. It never gets old for me.

As for the music, it's so much better than the PSX director's cut OST. For REmake, and hence for this version, it uses a new arrangement of the OST from the original Resident Evil for PSX. I've always preferred that original OST over Director's Cut. It's simply fantastic.

EDIT: For those of you who didn't know REmake for GC had an infinite grenade exploit, here's a breakdown for how it worked:

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Grenade-Glitch-in-Resident-Evil-Game-Cube-Remake

I was wondering if they were simply new costumes, or if they played at all differently (perhaps steroid-Chris has more health? I dunno).

I'm playing with the new controls. I haven't tried the tank controls yet. I just like how quickly I can turn, as well as run around. In the original version it felt like it took years to turn, and if you were turning while running it's like you had to do some long arc before you finally turned to the point you wanted to go. Maybe that was rectified in this version of tank controls.

The game itself feels completely new to me. It's been so long that I genuinely don't remember hardly anything about it. It's funny how familiar the game still feels, though. Right now I'm running around trying to find an emblem and it's one of those situations where I feel like I'm exhausting every room 5 times over because I'm so lost. I saved my game and walked away thinking "hey, I remember that feeling from the first game." Most people have it memorized that they just blow through it. I'm going to have to get to that point if I'm going to get the achievements for beating it in 3 hours as well as beating it just with the knife.

Game looks fantastic, though.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Definitely picking this up at some point. I never actually played the GC remake so this will be a totally fresh take for me.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
the PS3 version is the only physical copy of the game you can buy AFAIK (Play Asia sells it)

It appears the HK version has English voices and text. Bought it. Looking forward to this. I think the RE series is the only series where I have different versions for various systems. I hope Relevations 2 gets a physical release as well.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
To anyone saying 'I've bought this game enough times', buy it one more time if you like survival horror.

Capcom will stop trying to release RE survival horror games if people don't spend money on them.

There are many people, me among them, that don't like the more action oriented direction the series is going, and while I think the next numbered entry in the series will be more like 5 and 6 and less like the earlier games, they will still make more survival horror RE games if people show they still want them.

That was the industry trend for years, after all. "Survival Horror is dead." If we don't buy the good ones when they're released, or rereleased with new features, then we're confirming that opinion.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I downloaded it on Steam. It seems Capcom is really trying to do some serious fan service nowadays. I couldn't be happier with all the changes/additions they made. I'm actually enjoying the newer control scheme for a change.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I ran through BSAA Jill's campaign yesterday and man do I love the fact that they added new costumes to one of my favorite games of all time. Its a more the a decade old game and here they are adding new content to it. Its a weird but really cool feeling. Gives the game a really fresh feeling.

Looking forward to BSAA Chris and hope they add more costumes in the future.

I'm not a fan of the BSAA costumes. S.T.A.R.S. all the way. Maybe I'm getting old. As far as controls I'll stick to the tried and true tank.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I'm not a fan of the BSAA costumes. S.T.A.R.S. all the way. Maybe I'm getting old. As far as controls I'll stick to the tried and true tank.

I tried the arrange controls and man FUCK that. Tank all the way.