Resident Evil Revelations 2

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Has anybody played this yet? I purchased the first episode, and was pretty underwhelmed. I assume it gets better later, but the first episode was so light on enemies that I wanted to get an opinion from somebody here before investing any further. I assume one of you doll-fuckers has played it (probably finished it), so what're your thoughts?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm on the 1st episode(just barely got to play a bit this morning). I made it out of the prison and then thought "i'll just get back to this later.."

oh... i do have 1 gripe about it so far. when you're unlocking chests, apparently you need to have some sort of controller with 'rumble'. whereas I'm just using a keyboard/mouse... so it's nearly impossible to tell if you're unlocking it correctly.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah. There was a whole lot of "go up stairs, go downstairs, turn on power, go upstairs." Really boring stuff.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I think Taiso had some impressions so far iirc, which got my hopes up for the game being worth while. I'm waiting for the retail release on Tuesday, so we'll see...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Just finished episode 2. Not that hard on enemies, its similar to the first game for the most part. Having to run through most areas twice is really lazy planning though...still not as bad as the constant backtracking in the first game.
Also Barry.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I liked how Barry said "Who's the master of unlocking now?!" when he busted that gate.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Just finished episode 2. Not that hard on enemies, its similar to the first game for the most part. Having to run through most areas twice is really lazy planning though...still not as bad as the constant backtracking in the first game.
Also Barry.

My RE Revelations(1) still remains unopened/sealed. Picked it up on the cheap not long ago.

As someone who loved RE4 and thought RE5 was 'ok' and didn't bother with RE6... is RE Rev worth me bothering with? Or will I find it uninspired, boring and badly implemented?

I presumed RE Rev was going to be pretty solid, but surprised to hear these criticisms today...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
btw, anyone else playing this on pc? wondering how to properly open up a locked chest. supposedly you move the cursor around until it turns yellow, then wait for it to vibrate?.... i don't have vibration on my mouse or keyboard. so i'll just keep clicking on random places and hope that it doesn't take an hour :/

EDIT: nevermind. noticed that while you're holding down the left mouse button, if it stays yellow the whole time it'll unlock(but if it changes red it won't)

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I've really enjoyed it so far. If you're not judicious with your bullets, you'll have a tough time during certain encounters and I think the puzzles are better than we've gotten out of this series in a long time. I'm digging the atmosphere, weapon customization and game play quite a bit. I like the enemy variety and the pace of the encounters. i also like the fan service nods to earlier entries in the series. It draws on its own mythology, which is a nice treat for a RE fan like me. In my opinion, it's the best thing to come out of the franchise in a long time. It's well worth 25 bucks for the four chapters.

If I have any complaints about the game, they're that the progression is very straightforward and I'm not fan of the invisible enemies Natalya has to point out to Barry.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Also, I may do a digital giveaway at some point....

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've really enjoyed it so far. If you're not judicious with your bullets, you'll have a tough time during certain encounters and I think the puzzles are better than we've gotten out of this series in a long time. I'm digging the atmosphere, weapon customization and game play quite a bit. I like the enemy variety and the pace of the encounters. i also like the fan service nods to earlier entries in the series. It draws on its own mythology, which is a nice treat for a RE fan like me. In my opinion, it's the best thing to come out of the franchise in a long time. It's well worth 25 bucks for the four chapters.

If I have any complaints about the game, they're that the progression is very straightforward and I'm not fan of the invisible enemies Natalya has to point out to Barry.

I'm assuming it gets better after episode 1, then? Because the only puzzles I've found so far were "run back and forth to turn power on and grab a gear" and "enter a house to ram open a door." I also found to have an over abundance of ammo because it's easy to shoot, stun, and stab most enemies, which are few to begin with (which sucks with the cool weapon customizations you're able to do --why not let me play if you're going to give me toys).

I did laugh at Barry's "master of lockpicking" reference.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm assuming it gets better after episode 1, then? Because the only puzzles I've found so far were "run back and forth to turn power on and grab a gear" and "enter a house to ram open a door." I also found to have an over abundance of ammo because it's easy to shoot, stun, and stab most enemies, which are few to begin with (which sucks with the cool weapon customizations you're able to do --why not let me play if you're going to give me toys).

I did laugh at Barry's "master of lockpicking" reference.

Well, I enjoyed episode I a lot and thought that episode 2 was a little short. I felt episode 3 was where the game showed the biggest degree of game play variations and interesting environments. The sewer level with Claire and Moira and then the electrical conveyor belt area with Barry and Natalya were both a lot of fun in that chapter. There are also some collectibles you have to be on your toes to retrieve, especially one that's timed with a death trap.

I've also had a shit ton of fun with Raid Mode. If the regular game isn't your thing, you may enjoy Raid Mode more. I compare it to how I felt about RE 6's Mercenaries mode, which was a lot more fun than the campaign.

I also like the idea of the skill leveling system but some of the abilities aren't as impressive as others. Also, I don't know if I like the game enough to grind out all those skills to max levels.

As for ammunition, I've had a bit of a problem holding onto my bullets so when it comes to boss fights I find myself struggling a little bit. So the shooting gallery aspects are still a little rough for me. Maybe your skill level is higher than mine so you're finding it less of a challenge and, therefore, less engaging.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
As for ammunition, I've had a bit of a problem holding onto my bullets so when it comes to boss fights I find myself struggling a little bit. So the shooting gallery aspects are still a little rough for me. Maybe your skill level is higher than mine so you're finding it less of a challenge and, therefore, less engaging.

At least with regular enemies, most of the time you don't need to fire at all. With Claire/Moira, I'd play as Moira and would blind an enemy with the flash light.. the AI Claire would then run in and do a knock down kick. Then I'd dart in and wail on the enemy with the crowbar until(if) they get up, and repeat. Similar with Barry/Natalia, I'd play as Natalia and would throw a brick at an enemy(knocks them down), quickly switch to Barry and dart in and knife attack(repeat if needed). I'd also use Natalia to find where an enemy is, then switch to Barry and do a sneak attack.

and speaking of sneak attacks, imagine if you could play as Sam Fisher in Resident Evil :spock:

Last edited:

NeoGeo-Qatar

Neo Jihad
10 Year Member
I've been playing it for weeks and i really liked it especially the Raid mode it's Fun and challeging "reached level 100" three days ago , level 100 is the max per character but you still can get more skill points "SP" even if you reach that level

Unfortunately the Raide mode Coop is local only at least for now until the official release of the full game / episode 4

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Taiso what is the best RE game?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Taiso what is the best RE game?

Classic Gameplay Style: REmake is 1 and RE 2 is 1A.

3rd Person Gameplay Style: Resident Evil Revelations-I feel I need to explain this one. This may be a puzzling choice to some people but I really, REALLY like the RE 5 engine and they added reloading and shooting while moving, which I feel is as good as this style of RE gameplay gets-it gives you just enough tools to win with without crossing over in to the kind of action thrill gameplay that kills the tension aspects I enjoy about the series. The environments, atmosphere and tension are more like the older games in the series (which I prefer), I love the ship setting and I love the use of Chris and Jill in the game. RAID mode is really fun, especially in co-op, with lots of replayability and a loot system I find addicting. I understand that some people find the game boring and the enemy variety is lacking, but I love the deliberate pacing and feel there is just enough variety in the enemy types to keep me interested.

May shock some people to see I'm not picking 4, but as much fun as that game is I feel the engine is archaic now and when it comes to shooting gallery style gameplay I prefer the mechanics of Revelations. In fact, I like 6's engine a lot more than 4's on a pure gameplay/mechanics standpoint. 4 had its day and is still fun, but I'm not hypnotized by the game's mystique.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Resident Evil 2 is the one game I wish they would just give it the facelift. The DC port was a nice touch, same thing with 3. Deadly Silence was also awesome! The gamecube remake was great too, I haven't gotten the new HD remaster, I will though.

RE4 is amazing, the HD version stutters quite a bit unfortunately, great game though.

Revelations 2 will be released in disc form once they are done releasing all the episodes, I got the 1st episode 'cause I wasn't aware of this but I'm not gonna get the rest of the episodes, I'll wait for the disc.

RE5 is awesome, I play it with my GF side by side 2 screens. Maybe it's awesome to me 'cause of the situation.

I didn't even try RE6, I saw my GF play it a bit, lots of QTE, felt like a cut scene the whole time.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
RE4 is amazing, the HD version stutters quite a bit unfortunately, great game though.

I haven't experienced any stuttering in the game once they patched it. I was seeing some weird slowdown at times, but not sure if that's still there or not.

Mercenaries in RE 4 was fucked until they patched it. Now it works fine.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ooo Thanks! Good to know, time to update then, haven't played it in quite a while.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
May shock some people to see I'm not picking 4, but as much fun as that game is I feel the engine is archaic now and when it comes to shooting gallery style gameplay I prefer the mechanics of Revelations. In fact, I like 6's engine a lot more than 4's on a pure gameplay/mechanics standpoint. 4 had its day and is still fun, but I'm not hypnotized by the game's mystique.

I completely agree. I mean, I LOVE 4, but you're absolutely correct: the engine has evolved to the point that it's archaic now. I absolutely love the atmosphere in 4, though. All those washed-out colors really adds to the experience. I'll never forget playing that first village rape scene and being surprised how the game threw you to the wolves right off the bat.

I haven't played more than maybe 20 minutes of the first RE Revelations game. I got it on sale on Steam (yeah, I'm one of those assholes). I should go back and play it if what you're saying about it is true (which is probably is, since I trust your judgement concerning RE). That said, I absolutely LOVE the way RE Revelations 2 controls. I love how switching between the two characters is seamless. I don't ever feel like I'm hindered by doing so. The movement, being able to evade attacks, shooting, melee --it all flows so well. My only complaint would be that you have to press A to run, and I'd rather you just press down on the right thumbstick. Maybe it's something you can change, I haven't messed with it too much.

But I'll go ahead and buy the season and keep at it. Thanks for the info and input.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Talking about switcheroos, how do you folks feel about RE Zero? I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Talking about switcheroos, how do you folks feel about RE Zero? I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

When I played it on day one for GC, I was underwhelmed. It felt very stale to me despite the new mechanics, such as character swapping system and the ability to drop items anywhere and pick them up later. I liked that you had to control the two characters together to solve some puzzles.

I wasn't really into the 'Rebecca prequel' aspects of it at all. It was wholly unremarkable to me in this respect. For instance, whenever I play REmake and I meet Rebecca for the first time in the game, I'm never thinking about the events that got her to the mansion. It's almost like it didn't happen.

So in the end for me RE 0 was a mixed bag. I never even played through the extra content or unlocked the costumes or anything. I played the Wii version when it came out a few years back and liked it more, though. So maybe it's one of those games like 6 where you can go back and honestly revisit it and see the good qualities and sort of 'look past' the stuff you don't like.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member

I like Zero for the mood, the ambiance, and the story primarily. The character swapping mechanic was interesting and added to the formula, but the backtracking was a little much in certain areas and some of the enemies were more obnoxious than frightening (I'm thinking of you leech monsters -_-). I liked Billy overall, but his design could have been better (at the very least, no tribal tattoo). It would have been interesting to see him in another game other than Zero, or it's recapped version in Umbrella Chronicles.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I liked how Barry said "Who's the master of unlocking now?!" when he busted that gate.

I like when Claire said "I was almost a Claire sandwich" when she almost got smashed in compactor.