Retro Gamer Issue 62 - 8 page Metal Slug & 2 page Windjammers

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Just got the latest issue of Retro Gamer in the mail a short while ago. Issue #62 (Sega Mega Drive on the cover). It features "The Definitive Metal Slug" which spans 8 pages, as well as a shorter bit "The Classic Game Windjammers" which spans 2. Always nice to see the Neo Geo getting some love in the mag.

Edit: Absolute drama ensues here

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Very nice indeed! I should have mine this week.

GAMEFAN

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I got a chance to sit down and read the Metal Slug bit. The writer really slags on MS3. It's a bit funny, but not intentionally funny. It's funny in the sense that he drags his unusual distaste for MS3 out so far that it even carries over into the Metal Slug 4 summary and later on I think there was another pot shot or two as well.

Even RG is not free from teh drama!

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
Just got the latest issue of Retro Gamer in the mail a short while ago. Issue #62 (Sega Mega Drive on the cover). It features "The Definitive Metal Slug" which spans 8 pages, as well as a shorter bit "The Classic Game Windjammers" which spans 2. Always nice to see the Neo Geo getting some love in the mag.

Dude where can I buy this mag? I've never heard of it befor I think.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Dude where can I buy this mag? I've never heard of it befor I think.

You can also buy them directly from their web site. Be warned though, they usually sell out fairly quickly. Since the magazine comes out of the UK, the easiest way is to just simply subscribe.

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
I got a chance to sit down and read the Metal Slug bit. The writer really slags on MS3. It's a bit funny, but not intentionally funny. It's funny in the sense that he drags his unusual distaste for MS3 out so far that it even carries over into the Metal Slug 4 summary and later on I think there was another pot shot or two as well.

Even RG is not free from teh drama!

Every neo-geo game with a subscription to teh drama, and it need not be completed by user, as the first time you flip the power on, its signed by your soul.:dragb::A:

Off-topic, but I remember reading somewhere that Retro Gamer did an article on Twinkle Star Sprites. What issue was it in?

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What's the consensus on MS2?

Shitty I bet.

Clessy

Banned
If the artical attacks ms3 I already like it. Its probably the most over rated slug. Sure its got branching paths but it always is just way to damn long and not fun to set there and play completly through. The last stage is hell.

I like killing of nazis more than aliens. I hope slug returns to killing humans in the future and rids itself of this alien shit.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If the artical attacks ms3 I already like it. Its probably the most over rated slug. Sure its got branching paths but it always is just way to damn long and not fun to set there and play completly through. The last stage is hell.

I like killing of nazis more than aliens. I hope slug returns to killing humans in the future and rids itself of this alien shit.

I get the complaint, but you have to understand that MS1 was perfection. MS2, X and 3 are like expansions, really. Really, really excellent expansions. But they knew they could never top the sheer perfection of 1, so they decided to go with simply giving the player more to do. The result is a great game that's fun to play with others, while MS1 remains the time trial, high score king. A perfect arcade experience. The fact that is exists is holy.

And bite your tongue. You may dislike aspects of MS3, but it is eons away from shit-cakes like MS4, 5, 6 and 7.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I just picked mine up: the MS article writer is incompetent (appeared to be a freelancer), and/or was just trying to crap something out for a deadline. I may sit down and pick it apart if I have time.

[it annoyed me enough that I may start a separate thread harping on it]

[reviewed it, it got very long so I created a new thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196192 ]