Retroflag GPI case - anyone?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

https://youtu.be/X473iXjF3iU

Super easy build. I have one on the way and am very much looking forward to it. I might actually do some work to make a custom ES skin for this thing.

Yes, yes, yes - "Why isn't it Pi3?" I don't know, and that would've been cooler. But I want this thing for handheld PCE, GB and GBC...older shit. The Bittboy(s) are OK but still not so hot and the Pi Zero is pretty decent.

Anyone else manage to get in on the first batch of orders?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

https://youtu.be/X473iXjF3iU

Super easy build. I have one on the way and am very much looking forward to it. I might actually do some work to make a custom ES skin for this thing.

Yes, yes, yes - "Why isn't it Pi3?" I don't know, and that would've been cooler. But I want this thing for handheld PCE, GB and GBC...older shit. The Bittboy(s) are OK but still not so hot and the Pi Zero is pretty decent.

Anyone else manage to get in on the first batch of orders?

Pi3 would have overheated\thermal throttled in the case the way they've designed it. It's a matter of form over function. Pi Zero W would be perfectly fine for what I'd use it for: all the old handheld units. GB, GG, Lynx, etc.

I'll get one to mess around with sometime next year. Pretty cool stuff.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Pi Zero W would be perfectly fine for what I'd use it for: all the old handheld units. GB, GG, Lynx, etc.

EXACTLY! I'm actually really stoked to have an "all-in-one" in terms of handhelds with this thing.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Never got to order one but I think its a pretty cool idea.
Do wonder how long the battery's will last though.

J-P

NEST Puppet
I like the idea of a portable Pi, and sure the form factor looks cool - but as you mentioned there are so many devices around now, Things like 'this' and it costs $40 (similar to the bit-boy). You can emulate PCE/GB/GBC/SNES/NES/PS1 on that fairly well. I'm guessing the Pi is a bit more powerful as I was watching this thing struggle to play Yoshi's Island.

Being a hoarder, I own various modded handhelds (backlit Game Boy Pocket, a backlit Game Boy Color and several modded GBA's). The prospect of not having to sift through drawers full of tiny carts is getting more attractive.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I like the idea of a portable Pi, and sure the form factor looks cool - but as you mentioned there are so many devices around now, Things like 'this' and it costs $40 (similar to the bit-boy). You can emulate PCE/GB/GBC/SNES/NES/PS1 on that fairly well. I'm guessing the Pi is a bit more powerful as I was watching this thing struggle to play Yoshi's Island.

Being a hoarder, I own various modded handhelds (backlit Game Boy Pocket, a backlit Game Boy Color and several modded GBA's). The prospect of not having to sift through drawers full of tiny carts is getting more attractive.

tons of options now. I am into this Retroflag case due to it being A.) Retropie and B.) Form factor

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'm going to get one. I'll just have to find it when it's in stock and I have some free cash.
Sold out now, bet a bunch of people bought multiples to price gouge.
It does seem popular though, I checked out the Facebook page and there was thousands of people harassing them asking when it was coming out.

I bet they'll keep making batches of them until people stop buying them. Just might be a bit slower process they we would all like.

Wish they would make something similar with the compute module 3. It would playing more arcade games. Oh well.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Never got to order one but I think its a pretty cool idea.
Do wonder how long the battery's will last though.

Good question not sure if anybodies answered it.
I think somebody said at least 5-6 hours.

Lets say you have three 2000 mah bateries this webpage says it uses 350ma.

Using this calculator they should last 12 hours.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Oh, I was really looking forward to this one... it's too bad they got sold out so fast.

I love the original GameBoy's form factor and this seems to be a great solution for those who don't want to mess around building a GameBoy case for a Pi. Plus, being a bit smaller than the original, might be even better to carry around and build quality seems to be superb.

AFAIK The Zero will run well anything up to 16bit quite well (even NeoGeo), so not really worried about performance. As other said, as a portable emu machine this thing will work perfectly.

Hope they make new batches soon enough, would have loved having this one for the summer.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Oh, I was really looking forward to this one... it's too bad they got sold out so fast.

I love the original GameBoy's form factor and this seems to be a great solution for those who don't want to mess around building a GameBoy case for a Pi. Plus, being a bit smaller than the original, might be even better to carry around and build quality seems to be superb.

AFAIK The Zero will run well anything up to 16bit quite well (even NeoGeo), so not really worried about performance. As other said, as a portable emu machine this thing will work perfectly.

Hope they make new batches soon enough, would have loved having this one for the summer.

it seems like they keep refreshing the stock on Amazon periodically with later ship dates. Mine is supposed to ship June 15. Keep refreshing the Amazon page every so often and you might snag one.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
After extensive testing with this thing...I think I'm gonna' say, "Don't believe the hype" and tell others on the fence to pass on this. Even for just simple 8-bit stuff, the load times for emulation station to boot up and waiting for very small roms to load is excruciating. The form factor is great, shoulder buttons are near impossible to actually use due to awkward placement. Using actual alkaline batteries is a complete waste as they last maybe a couple hours. I'm using some new rechargeable ones now and it's much better though. If I could get GB pixel perfect I might be happier? I dunno...it's just not doing it for me.

I will say this though, Mega Drive/Genesis looks incredible on it. But it's weird playing Sega on a Gameboy...so that part feels gross - also it handles PC Engine nicely enough and you can play CD games which is kinda' cool. I don't know if you can load PCE CD on the new LDK system...anyone?

If this were a Pi3 or that smaller Pi3A or whatever, then maybe...but this PiZero does suck pretty bad. I think I am gonna' grab that new horizontal LDK system that just came out and maybe sell this thing.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Man, that's a huge bummer. Oh well, there's plenty of other options out there.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
If this were a Pi3 or that smaller Pi3A or whatever, then maybe...but this PiZero does suck pretty bad. I think I am gonna' grab that new horizontal LDK system that just came out and maybe sell this thing.

Let me know, I would be interested.

One thing that sucks about the pi's is that it takes forever to get everything setup and just like you like it. Then something else usually breaks, frequently with an update.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Thanks for the update PixelJunkie.

Kinda semi-relatedly - I'm still using a modded Gameboy Pocket / Gameboy Color with everdrive GB (I did a backlight mod on both) for playing gameboy stuff. If you go that route though, you totally should do a lithium-ion rechargable mod with a usb-recharge circuit/regulator The LED backlight even on the Gameboy Pocket (AAA batteries) leads to a battery life of under 2hrs, better with AA's on the GBC. I also modded a GBA (AGB-001) with a backlit screen, which is pretty nice. But yeah, none of those are emulation machines.

I'm still waiting for something with a nice size 4:3 screen and comfortable controls that does decent GBC/PC-Engine/MD/SNES/NeoGeo emulation. I was thinking of getting one of these. But I read that just modding a PS Vita is cheaper/better.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Thanks for the update PixelJunkie.

Kinda semi-relatedly - I'm still using a modded Gameboy Pocket / Gameboy Color with everdrive GB (I did a backlight mod on both) for playing gameboy stuff. If you go that route though, you totally should do a lithium-ion rechargable mod with a usb-recharge circuit/regulator The LED backlight even on the Gameboy Pocket (AAA batteries) leads to a battery life of under 2hrs, better with AA's on the GBC. I also modded a GBA (AGB-001) with a backlit screen, which is pretty nice. But yeah, none of those are emulation machines.

I'm still waiting for something with a nice size 4:3 screen and comfortable controls that does decent GBC/PC-Engine/MD/SNES/NeoGeo emulation. I was thinking of getting one of these. But I read that just modding a PS Vita is cheaper/better.

I should be getting a freckleshack screen any day now for my GBC. The battery life on them is supposed to be insane, so I am set there. I also have a nice biverted/backlit GB I use and it seems to last forever on batteries. I've always been fascinated with these little emulator consoles/handhelds and over the last 20 years they've mostly all sucked. Only now are things starting to look somewhat hopeful. Really stoked to get thatfreckleshack screen though. I have all my handhelds except for Lynx still and plan on swapping all with his screens as they become available.

J-P

NEST Puppet
I'm waiting for the Freckleshack kit to arrive too (5th run I think) and yeah, will probably just use Enerloop Pro's (AA) on the next one. Wireless charging is a fun mod to do on a gameboy pocket tho (also bivert/backlit) ;-) - I got the BennVenn Neo Geo Pocket Color LCD and can def recommend.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Amazon is showing these as for sale now from third party sellers or restocked restocked directly from Retroflag in the next week.

I got one from a third party seller, claims it's legit. Hope its not a clone.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Amazon is showing these as for sale now from third party sellers or restocked restocked directly from Retroflag in the next week.

I got one from a third party seller, claims it's legit. Hope its not a clone.

I'm sure it will be legit, but it'd be wild if it's not.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'm sure it will be legit, but it'd be wild if it's not.

That's crazy they fill third party resellers orders before their own. Oh well if it works out I'll be getting mine tomorrow night (week early) with with a neoprene case and copper heat-sink.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retroflag_gpi/comments/cypu8z/gpi_pre_build_images/

Gonna try the usergroup build first. Hows recallbox? Anybody have a break down or tweaks and tricks? Favorite images?

Thinking and looking at it... to make a CM3 upgrade all you would need to do is make a different cart. I saw pictures and somebody claims to have stripped a pi3 and put it in the cart or make a custom one for it.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Does it have a rechargable battery yet?

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I finally got the GPi case form Aliexpress and I agree with pixeljunkie: form factor is great, screen quality is great and build quality is good... but boot up times are horrible and AA baterry duration is pretty lame.

I'm using the Super Retro Boy image and works well, but having to transfer roms over wifi is kinda slow. Also did the d-pad mod (using a GB Pocket replacement one) and I find the feeling to be much better than the stock one (even if it doesn't stick out as much).

With a rechargeable (and longer duration) battery, I could see myself using it more frequently but, honestly, I think I'll stick to the GPD XD as my preferred portable emulation station: easy to use, great battery, great screen and emulates up to PS1 withput a problem. Clamshell form factor isn't too bad.

There's a battery mod tutorial floating around youtube, but it looks kinda hard and not too neat. Will wait for a better solution (if any comes).

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I finally got the GPi case form Aliexpress and I agree with pixeljunkie: form factor is great, screen quality is great and build quality is good... but boot up times are horrible and AA baterry duration is pretty lame.

I'm using the Super Retro Boy image and works well, but having to transfer roms over wifi is kinda slow. Also did the d-pad mod (using a GB Pocket replacement one) and I find the feeling to be much better than the stock one (even if it doesn't stick out as much).

With a rechargeable (and longer duration) battery, I could see myself using it more frequently but, honestly, I think I'll stick to the GPD XD as my preferred portable emulation station: easy to use, great battery, great screen and emulates up to PS1 withput a problem. Clamshell form factor isn't too bad.

There's a battery mod tutorial floating around youtube, but it looks kinda hard and not too neat. Will wait for a better solution (if any comes).

yep - I built, tried a few different images and put it away....don't see myself really using it - which is a bummer

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'm using the Super Retro Boy image and works well, but having to transfer roms over wifi is kinda slow.

I take a USb drive install Yumi and my favorite Linux distro at the time and drag and drop roms on the PI's SD card. I've never used that Samba thing. Before I figured that out I used the USB method but it wouldn't work for this application.

Well I'm pretty happy, it's worth the price for Mame4All alone so far.

Anybody else not install the SD card dust cover? I fiddled around with it for a few seconds then decided it would be to tight to take the card in and out with.

Last edited: