Retropie (TEH ROMZZZZ)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Anyone have one of these setups? I picked one up off Ebay (Pie 3) with a couple of 8bitdo Snes controllers. Nice little thing. Good to have a one stop shop with everything pre polygon on it.

Only bummer so far is there is a bit of lag. I can notice it especially on SMB (Mario, not suck my balls.) and Sonic games. Very hard to get those last second leaps just right.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been running a Pi for a while, I haven't been using it much lately since I got rid of the VGA monitor :(

Anyway, The Pi3 with emulationstation actually has very, very little lag so you can probably eliminate it. If you are using the Pi 3's built in bluetooth that might be part of the problem. I have the same controller and it lags like a bitch in wireless, and a bit less if you use a USB cable, so try that. Although I love the 8bitdo pads for other applications, I prefer the USB iBuffalo SNES pads for the Pi 3, they get no lag at all. The Hyperkin 6 button Genesis USB pads work great on it as well, I generally swap between the two depending on if I'm emulating a Nintendo or Sega system.

The other thing that causes lag that a lot of noobs do is set the resolution too high. The Pi isn't a fast machine, and it can't handle rendering most emulators at 1080p. I set my resolution to 720p which works great. Make sure you set Retroarch to render at the output resolution in the emulator setting so the Pi isn't doing any scaling. Also, Retroarch's shaders can pull some CPU power, if you want scanlines use overlays instead as they have no CPU overhead.

theMot

10 Year Member
Thanks for the tips Gohan. The Buffalo pads, are they wireless? Or needs to be connected with USB?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I have one too.. started with the ibuffalo pad. they are decent once they are broken in.. you will be happy once you add a 360 controller to it. you can get the wired one for almost free these days.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for the tips Gohan. The Buffalo pads, are they wireless? Or needs to be connected with USB?

USB. I've never had much luck with the Pi or Android devices with bluetooth. They work, but always have a little lag. I'm not sure what the deal is, as I can use that same 8bitdo SNES pad wirelessly on NES, SNES, and hell, my PS4 with no lag whatsoever.

Oh, and cdamm is right, the wired 360 controller works great. I just don't like using that controller for most of what you'd play with the Retropie. It's great for Doom though.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I do. Great for emulation of classic consoles. Not so great for arcade games as the MAME build it supports is straight up ancient (0.38 if I recall).

Its easy to configure basic controls, but a giant pain to use some of the more common emulation features such as graphics filters.

Double edged sword, but great for the cost.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I got a 64gb sd card and a couple of isos for it. One with retropie and another one with recalbox. Have to check what does retropie have but as for recalbox it has around 6k games. They run quite good. I think I still got the torrent file if you are interested

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapacaulk

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I like my pi 3 but i'm still waiting for a nice little rom box to come along that'll play saturn iso's.
Pi 3 play's ps1 and N64 well enough, dreamcast as well but the frame rate is a little too choppy for me.
The built in wifi is great and kodi is a must.

theMot

10 Year Member
Has anyone tried it with a Wii U Pro Controller? I really want a wireless controller with no noticable lag as my lounge is too far from the tv to use with wired controllers. The thought of sitting on the ground to play like a derelict just doesn't appeal.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Nop... only used the PS3 and XB360 one... both work perfectly

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I have loads of Raspberry Pi's and have been messing with them for the last 6 months. Best emulation machine I have ever used.

I have one that I made in a NES cart and another in a case running 25 consoles with about 10,000 games.

You can do so much with these machines they are amazing!

Sorry for size of images

Attachments

• 20161121_100506.jpg
    20161121_100506.jpg
    956.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 20161222_180636.jpg
    20161222_180636.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 211
  • 20161222_180832.jpg
    20161222_180832.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • FB_IMG_1482839331910.jpg
    FB_IMG_1482839331910.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 203
  • FB_IMG_1483113487048.jpg
    FB_IMG_1483113487048.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 211
  • FB_IMG_1483138075494.jpg
    FB_IMG_1483138075494.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Nice. I stated the 'Retro Pie in the NES shell' project and haven't gotten around to finishing it up yet.

theMot

10 Year Member
Give us some set up tips Jamie. You have the same, 8bitdo pads as me, how are you going with input lag?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Just started messing around with mine. Got my PS3 controllers to work perfect with it. All the games load up nicely...those damn arcade ones, though. There's only a handful I really want quick access to, but figuring out which one works with which emulator sucks.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
There is lag just make sure your on the latest 8bitdo firmware and you have the controller plugged in to the pi as using bluetooth gives large amounts of input lag.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Just started messing around with mine. Got my PS3 controllers to work perfect with it. All the games load up nicely...those damn arcade ones, though. There's only a handful I really want quick access to, but figuring out which one works with which emulator sucks.

Good thing it saves it for you

There is lag just make sure your on the latest 8bitdo firmware and you have the controller plugged in to the pi as using bluetooth gives large amounts of input lag.

How do those zero's run? My guess would be most all the cart systems before n64 and about 85% of arcade stuff that doesn't need .chd files.

I do. Great for emulation of classic consoles. Not so great for arcade games as the MAME build it supports is straight up ancient (0.38 if I recall).

Its easy to configure basic controls, but a giant pain to use some of the more common emulation features such as graphics filters.

Double edged sword, but great for the cost.

There's about 20 versions of Mame and other arcade emulators it supports, I think 2014 plays the newest romset of 1.59 (mames @ 1.69?) It think its Mame4all that run near perfectly.

Here's what I did, think I already have a 1.59 set, then I downloaded a final burn .38 set. I deleted all the games from Mame that are also in 1.59. Took out the other system roms that arnn't arcade from final burn and put them in it's folder and put the left over ones in the mame folder. Then I start every game with the default emu and if it doesn't work , (usually does) then I start going down the line until it does. I'd say other than .chd games I have about a 95% success rate, and those are usually known broken, incorrect dumps. Next I need to take out those .chd games but I think i have another microcomputer
they may work on.

I also have a Odroid Xu3 with 64gb mmc, it has a (big little) two quad processors 2ghz and 1.5ghz making it an octocore with 2gb of ram.

So far I've only gotten it to multiboot with Andrio 7, Debian (Jessie), and Openelec (Kodi). Kodi run so much smoother on it than a pi. Even though its over 2x as power as the Pi3 it doesn't have near as much support making it not that much better.
I'm going to try and mainly use it for bigger and newer files/systems like N64, PSX, PSP, Dreamcast.

Theres a Xu4 out now and it's basically the same thing but only $75.

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The Zero is not that great to be honest compared to the Pi3.

Will run most 8 and 16 bit systems well apart from the snes when you start getting into the custom chips.

A cool project if you say want to put it into a nes cart with all nes roms. Much better than the nes mini so well worth the price.

With a zero dont even bother with psx or n64 choppy as hell.

I use my Pi zero for everything upto neo geo really.

My Pi3 is the all singing and dancing model that I have gone all out with. About 25 systems and 10,000 games its the perfect emulation machine.

I quite fancy building a bartop machine next just for the hell of it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I need Streets of Rage Remake on my Pi so bad.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Its worth the price of a pi zero just to be able to play this on a tv!
You can get it running on a modded xbox as well, if you got one knocking around.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
What emulator do you use for Streets of Rage Remake? Is that genesis emu?

Im thinking of picking up a PI3 just to see what all the fuss is about.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It doesn't run in an emulator, it's a game to itself.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
What emulator do you use for Streets of Rage Remake? Is that genesis emu?

Im thinking of picking up a PI3 just to see what all the fuss is about.

It runs the pc port directly. Just copy over your game files. Only issue is the game will crash if you use any shades with the game so stick to stock video options.