Return of the US military draft in the future?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don’t think giant bipedal robots are in our future, sadly.

Tank treads it is.

zukutank_6.png

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Top gun was box office hit. That should drum up some young maverick’s…
And since the video game industry been training up new troops , wars are no longer fought with foot soldiers, there are drone and robots that can get the job done .

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The article I was reading on NBC mentioned the new Top Gun bringing in new recruits and the military exploring the idea of using Tik Tok to drum up recruits. When I was in college, I recall the military sent me a CD-ROM PC video game recruiting incentive thing. I probably still have it buried somewhere...🤣

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
The article I was reading on NBC mentioned the new Top Gun bringing in new recruits and the military exploring the idea of using Tik Tok to drum up recruits. When I was in college, I recall the military sent me a CD-ROM PC video game recruiting incentive thing. I probably still have it buried somewhere...🤣
america's army. ghost recon was better.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
america's army. ghost recon was better.
The original Ghost Recon games were great. I hate what they've done to the franchise, same with Rainbow SIX.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just give the drones a conscience. What can go wrong?

View attachment 58909

This, too, was the title of a book by Trout, The Gutless Wonder. It was about a robot who had bad breath, who became popular after his halitosis was cured. But what made the story remarkable, since it was written in 1932, was that it predicted the widespread use of burning jellied gasoline on human beings.

It was dropped on them from airplanes. Robots did the dropping. They had no conscience, and no circuits which would allow them to imagine what was happening to the people on the ground.

Trout's leading robot looked like a human being, and could talk and dance and so on, and go out with girls. And nobody held it against him that he dropped jellied gasoline on people. But they found his halitosis unforgivable. And then he cleared that up, and he was welcomed to the human race.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Tank treads it is.

zukutank_6.png

Honestly, probably - if we're talking larger vehicles.

But what's the point of a giant bipedal or even a giant treaded bot? At that size they're just giant targets to every other weapon systems.

The future of war is what we're seeing in Uraine. Drone Baby Drone.

We'll see autonomous hunter-killer drones before we get Robot Jox, Gundam, or Battletech. Unless we can develop Star Trek/Star Wars style shields.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Only if we are invaded on our own soil or at least an attack. Like another 911.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
USA will not tolerate a draft unless we are invaded. Most citizens lack the physical capabilities and are pussies so it would be a waste of time anyway.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I don't think that we as a people lack the physical capabilities compared to any other time in history. There may be slightly more obese people but we eat better, exercise better and overall are far more concerned for our health. The amount of malnutrition, lack of proper supplies etc. in the past was incredibly high. In WWII a lot of allied troops lived on cigarettes, coffee and amphetamines and even before they served their diet was probably shitty from a health perspective. Red meat with every meal, unfiltered cigarettes, tons of sodium, everything cooked in lard.

I would say people have much less motivation to fight and there are far more soft ass bitches than ever but not less healthy.

Reactions: wyo

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I don't think that we as a people lack the physical capabilities compared to any other time in history. There may be slightly more obese people but we eat better, exercise better and overall are far more concerned for our health. The amount of malnutrition, lack of proper supplies etc. in the past was incredibly high. In WWII a lot of allied troops lived on cigarettes, coffee and amphetamines and even before they served their diet was probably shitty from a health perspective. Red meat with every meal, unfiltered cigarettes, tons of sodium, everything cooked in lard.

I would say people have much less motivation to fight and there are far more soft ass bitches than ever but not less healthy.
I'd agree with this.

I'd say the bigger problem of first world countries would be finding enough people who are happy to be treated as cannon fodder. People feel like they're worth more than that, and dare I say they're right.

Reactions: wyo

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm not sure people in the past were happy with the idea of being cannon fodder, It has a lot to do with the overabundance of information available to us and the division we've seen in society as a result. Who do you know today that actually truly 'believes' in the nation and would go hell for leather into a shower of full metal jackets for king and country? It must be the exception to the rule.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
That's what I've never understood about people who willingly join the military because they want to fight the enemy. Like you can be the top guy in your platoon and be an expert marksman and that still doesn't assure your survival. You could still be easily killed unexpectedly by a hidden sniper, suicide bomber or other unexpected attack in the warzone, or ordered into an impossible to survive situation, like whoever the unfortunate soldiers were who were by the doors of the landing craft at Normandy. The Germans were gunning the doors before they opened so the unfortunate people who were in the front of the crowd inside the landing craft got killed as soon as the doors were opened. Didn't matter if they were Duke Nukem or Gomer Pile.

I get there's tactics you can use to increase the chances of your survival in various situations, but there's so much that's just down to luck and circumstances, I'd never feel like I was in control of whether I'd survive the day in the warzone or not.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'd agree with this.

I'd say the bigger problem of first world countries would be finding enough people who are happy to be treated as cannon fodder. People feel like they're worth more than that, and dare I say they're right.
Yeah, if you're under attack or imminent threat, people will stand up and fight. First world countries exclusively engage in wars of aggression or world police actions post-WW2 and most citizens have figured out it's bullshit.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The issues with low recruiting numbers is only compounded by low retention across the board, mainly due to the mandatory COVID vaccinations, toxic command structure, and the fact that soldiers see that there are better-paying, more flexible jobs that are a better fit for them and their families in the civilian sector. This has increased dramatically with the current labor shortages and adoption of teleworking as a standard.

The Army paid me a hefty bonus to stay in my current job for another three years, which i intended to do anyway. Officers never get bonuses, so the fact that i was told "please keep existing here's a bunch of extra money " is telling of how people are just tired of existing without an active conflict like OEF. So much was based on and existed due to Afghanistan that, now that it's over, Soldiers who never knew what garrison army was like are seeing the bullshit and are simply not dealing with it.

I don't think there will be a draft unless Russia makes a move on Alaska, China makes a move on Taiwan, or North Korea makes a move on South Korea. Even then, a bunch of other options will be explored in order to address it, and considering how unpopular politically and socially that idea would be, it would only be as an incredibly ineffective last resort.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Honestly, probably - if we're talking larger vehicles.

But what's the point of a giant bipedal or even a giant treaded bot? At that size they're just giant targets to every other weapon systems.

The future of war is what we're seeing in Uraine. Drone Baby Drone.

We'll see autonomous hunter-killer drones before we get Robot Jox, Gundam, or Battletech. Unless we can develop Star Trek/Star Wars style shields.

While I can’t speak for every two legged robot fantasy piece, I do feel compelled to mention that the MS in Gundam were %90 of the time fighting in zero G. They also move very quickly. Robot Jocks type stuff and other glacially slow sci-fi robots do just look like big targets that would sink into the ground but there is no “ground” to sink into in space and objects in space can turn around very quickly when they are covered in thrusters.

Also in Gundam there is a plot device that makes long range targeting difficult, this explains the melee weapons. On the Earth of 2022 a Zakutank would easily be destroyed by an offshore missile of some kind. They’d never even know it was coming…because there are no newtypes in 2022.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
While I can’t speak for every two legged robot fantasy piece, I do feel compelled to mention that the MS in Gundam were %90 of the time fighting in zero G. They also move very quickly. Robot Jocks type stuff and other glacially slow sci-fi robots do just look like big targets that would sink into the ground but there is no “ground” to sink into in space and objects in space can turn around very quickly when they are covered in thrusters.

Also in Gundam there is a plot device that makes long range targeting difficult, this explains the melee weapons. On the Earth of 2022 a Zakutank would easily be destroyed by an offshore missile of some kind. They’d never even know it was coming…because there are no newtypes in 2022.
welcome to zeta's world, where he takes knowledge gained from robot animes and applies it to real life. sugoiiiii!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
welcome to zeta's world, where he takes knowledge gained from robot animes and applies it to real life. sugoiiiii!
Why do you keep picking fights? Chilllllll

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Don't go full Sylvie on us, stalking his ass on the boards.
if he makes a dumb post, it's not my fault. other than his bday thread, no stalking has been done. what am i supposed to do when he says terminator is generic and boring???