Revolution to play Genesis, TurboGrafx games

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146528.html

Next-gen Nintendo console's game-download service will span not just decades but former competitors' classic systems.

SAN JOSE, Calif.--Everything old is new again. You only have to look at the success of Xbox Live Arcade to know that while gamers are demanding the hottest graphics and the latest innovations from their next-gen hardware, they also relish the opportunity to travel down memory lane--and they're willing to pay for that chance.

Nintendo knows this. The company announced at E3 last year that its forthcoming Revolution would help scratch the nostalgic itch with a "virtual console" that will let users download and play potentially hundreds of games from the company's back catalog, spanning all of its older systems--the Nintendo 64, SNES, and the hallowed NES.

At its GDC keynote this morning, Nintendo unveiled plans to flesh out the Revolution's classic-game library even beyond its own storied library. Today during his keynote speech at the 2006 Game Developers Conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced that two former hardware rivals--Sega and Hudson--will make sizable chunks of their own back catalog available for download on the Revolution.

According to Nintendo, over 1,000 games for Sega's Genesis console, released in 1989, will be added to the Revolution's library. Joining them will be an undisclosed number of titles from the Hudson's TurboGrafx console, also released in 1989 and codeveloped by electronics giant NEC. Though no specific titles were mentioned, Nintendo said it is taking a "best of" approach in selecting which games will come to the Revolution.
By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
fuck!

that certainly changes things a bit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
HOLY SHIT

I can play TG16 on the revolution?! hahaha. That's fucking awesome.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Bonk, Sonic, and Mario on one system? Sheeeeit.

At this point I'm actually looking about as forward to the Rev as I am the PS3, which I never thought would happen.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
nuke2.jpg
explode.jpeg
nuke2.jpg
]

H

hermegildo

That is really amazing.

I'll be playing Ghouls 'n Ghosts on my Revolution soon.

:kekeke:

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Correction: Go to play Genesis, TurboGrafx games

Get with it, hipster :kekeke:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
this post made me laugh my ass off.

and at the price the revolution is slated to be selling at there's no reason not to get it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
and at the price the revolution is slated to be selling at there's no reason not to get it.

I only wonder how this service is going to work.

Flat fee per game?

Variable depending on game "value"?

Maybe a flat monthly fee that allows 25 downloads or similiar?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Icing on the cake. As long as the download service is cheap, it will be completely worth it. Question though....how in the hell will you play a SNES, Genesis title on that thing? The controller is comes with does not have enough buttons.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
smokehouse said:
Icing on the cake. As long as the download service is cheap, it will be completely worth it. Question though....how in the hell will you play a SNES, Genesis title on that thing? The controller is comes with does not have enough buttons.

GCN controlers plug in...

I'm sure the retrostyle controller market will be jumpin.

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Will be see then a decrease in the prices of some classic gamez? Like Castlevania Rondo, Chrono Trigger or Alien Soldier?

slerch666

updyke,
an undisclosed number of titles from the Hudson's TurboGrafx console
I hope they mean Japanese titles as well... as the TurboGrafx only had a limited number of games in the US... and far fewer worth playing. Imagine being able to play PCE games on your US system as well as TGX16 games.

I think I just hit on something there. Why not offer downloads of games from all regions to the Revolution (or Go or whatever they call it)? Just put a warning that says "hey jackass, you're downloading a game from a Japanese console and the dialog is in Japanese. Are you sure you want to pay $$$$ to check it out?"

THAT would make me even more likely to buy the system sooner rather than later.

slerch666

updyke,
They should sign a deal with SNK/Playmore also. Of course, you'd need to find a nice arcade stick for the GCN or Go, but it would still be cool, especially if they could manage to emulate the games perfectly, unlike the PS2 where you have load times and slow down on occasion.

And how about adding Hyper Neo Geo to the SNK/P deal?

aria

Former Moderator
[
revolution_post_icon.gif
<-- Nintendo Revolution? It looks like a fucking piano to me...]

Phear the piano!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nintendo knows thier market....

Little kids and fat balding guys with kids.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
jro said:
Bonk, Sonic, and Mario on one system? Sheeeeit.

At this point I'm actually looking about as forward to the Rev as I am the PS3, which I never thought would happen.

Wasn't there a Bonk game on teh Cube?

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Play Genesis & TG-16 games on the Revolution/Go...Are you freaking kidding me?! This totally came out of left field. Haven't even heard any of this at work yet. I'm astonished as most of you are. Thank you Sega and NEC for making this happen.

slerch666

updyke,
norton9478 said:
Nintendo knows thier market....

Little kids and fat balding guys with kids.
This site must have a lot of kids on it, with the amount of people hot and bothered over Nintendo, as we all know that while they may be bald, they certainly have no off spring but for a few outsiders.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
You know whats great? With MS and Sony always touting their hardware and how their systems can practically cure cancer and aids, nintendo is the only company talking about the games. This is great news.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Genesis is shocking, but TurboGrafx...?! Unbelievable. It would be interesting to hear the process this all came about by.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Here's praying for Konami to relaese Dracula X: Rondo of Blood.