RGB bypassing a NEO-AES3-4

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
I would like to RGB bypass a NEO-AES3-4

The guide on the forum here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92840

Is for versions 5-7..

This AES is a low serial (within 36,000 range)

The quality through RGB looks very good in my eyes, however the mainboard is a second revision as shown on various sites, which supposedly would benefit from the RGB bypass.

Around the area of the AV socket, there are many resistors, like the mainboard shown in the guide, however the capacitors are different, and there are extra resistors.

Would it be possible to adapt this guide to the version 4 mainboard and does anyone have any tips?

Also does anyone know where I can get any replacement palette RAM as I have a faulty AES with a palette RAM that is constantly cycling through working / non working. Does anyone know what these look like on the board, where they are located?

Cheers! :)

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
I took the guide here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92840 and I altered it to suit this model of AES board (NEO-AES3-4)

It is quite similar however some components etc are slightly different and also more capacitors.

Thanks to RockstarRunner for posting the original tutorial and MKL for providing the technical info for that tutorial. Mine is based on this. I can confirm it works great and provides a very nice picture. I slightly altered the sync wiring as with a standard Neo Geo RGB scart, it wouldnt sync with the other guide (I think maybe its a mistake).

Bottom of board top right corner where the AV connector etc is located, connect the points as shown, resistors need to be included in between the red, green and blue wires, value of 82ohms to reduce the intensity of the signal otherwise it will be too bright for your TV with not enough definition. There is no ferrite beads so we are soldering directly to the points which go to the AV connector.

neo-ver4-bottom.jpg

Remove the capacitors and resistors indicated in this picture:

neo-ver4-top.jpg

All in all, a simple mod for someone with some patience. Enjoy!

M

monouchi

Bumping an old thread.

Just wanted to make sure as I will do this mod myself on my 3-4.

In the pic it looks like the sync was taken from pin 11 on the SONY chip, but in other RGB bypass mods the sync is taken from pin 10?

Is pin 11 special for ver 3-4 or can pin 10 work too?