RGB modded AES outputting B/W with 5-pin composite cable.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Like the title says. I'm not especially tech savvy so I figured I'd ask here first.

Pls halp! :mr_t:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Like the title says. I'm not especially tech savvy so I figured I'd ask here first.

Pls halp! :mr_t:

Check to make sure the CXA1145 chip is getting a good subcarrier frequency, there should be an oscillator for it.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Can you post a tutorial on how to B&W mod a Neo? Been looking to upgrade mine.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sounds similar to what I've seen Genesis modders do... the modder may have lifted the subcarrier pin on the video encoder to get a cleaner RGB signal (eliminates or greatly reduces jailbars). Makes composite useless in the process though.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
To give a little background on this system...I bought it and it came with AV cables. Everything worked fine. I was told the system had the rgb bypass mod, so I started using it with an rgb cable. I used rgb cables on it for a little over a year. I decided to sell it, and had had the system in storage for about two months. Knowing this I pulled it out and tested it via scart for about an hour and then again for another hour before I finally packaged and shipped it to Beff. Beff was aware that the system came without AV cables, so he bought a set on eBay that only had 4 pins in it. The general conclusion in chat was that it was the wrong cable, but apparently a second one hasn't helped.

And before the hate train gets fueled up, I ended up giving him the system for the cost of shipping and $40...so don't even get started.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I think we need hi-res, HD pictures to better understand the issue :)

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I thought that doing the RGB bypass meant that composhit no longer worked?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Xian Xi's rgb bypass supports both if done correctly. I don't know if James worked on this one or not. To be totally honest, all I know is that I've seen it work in composite, and It gives a beautiful picture in RGB, which a high serial system shouldn't do.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you post a tutorial on how to B&W mod a Neo? Been looking to upgrade mine.

This was the B&W model released before the AESC (Advanced Entertainment System Color). It's an AES that is monochrome for the display.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
To give a little background on this system...I bought it and it came with AV cables. Everything worked fine. I was told the system had the rgb bypass mod, so I started using it with an rgb cable. I used rgb cables on it for a little over a year. I decided to sell it, and had had the system in storage for about two months. Knowing this I pulled it out and tested it via scart for about an hour and then again for another hour before I finally packaged and shipped it to Beff. Beff was aware that the system came without AV cables, so he bought a set on eBay that only had 4 pins in it. The general conclusion in chat was that it was the wrong cable, but apparently a second one hasn't helped.

And before the hate train gets fueled up, I ended up giving him the system for the cost of shipping and $40...so don't even get started.

Shit, I thought this was a joke thread.

Todd, post some pics of the system board.

Edit, lol Matt.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Nah this isn't a joke thread. I realize given my posting history this may have come across as teh lulz. I've also heard that it could possibly be my TV, unfortunately I don't have access to another television.

@Gordonz: It turned out it was a 5pin cable, not 4, I just misremembered the count. I haven't tried a 2nd cable yet, I wanted to get as much info as possible before I threw any more money around. And thanks again for the hook up :) It's still fun in B&W.

Quan PMed me and he may have a solution once he gets back from his road trip. We'll see how it goes.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I have a bunch of left over clone xneo boxes I used to sell. This should able to get him going since the system has nice rgb output.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Do flat areas of color look like they have a checker pattern over them, or consistent dot patterns? If so, it means the color subcarrier is still being mixed into the signal, and the frequency may have drifted. If not, likely this has been removed to reduce noise on the RGB output. I believe providing the clock for the subcarrier is the role of the big daughterboard connected with the long wire that mounts above the memory card slot. Inspecting that and its connections (or lack thereof) may be a good starting place.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Last time I had this problem it was a bad colorburst xtal.