RGB to S-Video converter?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I set up a secondary gaming area in my house using a Commodore 1702 monitor, which is small but pretty badass. It's not the model that does RGB though, it has composite and, surprisingly, s-video. I don't really want to mod any of my systems to add s-video, is there any kind of external converter made that is reasonably priced that would make this easy?

Some other options I found is to just use a jrok encoder, or build one of these:

http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/rgb2svid/schematic.png

Thoughts?

mikey

Marked Wolf
I use the AD725, which outputs pretty good S-Video. It's much easier to build due to a lower part count and you can get a free sample of the chip of of Analog Devices website, which is the most expensive part of the whole thing ($13). I think I even have a spare chip kicking around you can have if you can't get one for free off the site for some reason. I find the composite output pretty crappy on it, even with the luma trap, but the S-Video is great. Here is the schematic for it:

http://nedopc.org/nedopc/image/ad725.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I have the XAV-2S and really like it. I don't actually use it with the 1702, but in general it outputs a very good s-video signal, and is adjustable.

I recently picked up a 1702 from a fellow forum member and have it set up as a secondary gaming display, so we are in the same boat. I had one of these monitors before I got into PVMs, but only ever used it for composite. The s-video quality is amazing. Right now I'm just using it with modded NES and Genesis systems, but have some more s-video cables coming in the mail so that I can hook my 3DO and modded 2600 up to it.

It's weird, but even though I have 2 PVMs and can play almost all of my systems in RGB, there's just something neat about playing games on this old 1702. I definitely won't be getting rid of it a second time.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Jibba: That thing looks perfect. Any idea where to find one?

Xian Xi: have you ever tried that with a Genesis? I seem to recall people having issues with using a Genesis with a AD725 based converter, but they may not have been building the circuit correctly. This will primarily be used with a Genesis and a PC Engine, as most of my other systems have svideo already.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For Svideo I just use the internal encoder in the Genesis.

For a universal one, I'd go with a CXA2075.