Ric Flair in ICU, placed in medically induced coma

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Terrible news today. Ric Flair is fighting for his life right now in intensive care.

Apparently his heart and liver are in very rough shape.

Almost five decades of steroids, booze, cocaine, pain killers, wrestling, long travel hours, and very little sleep may have finally caught up to him.

I hope the crazy old bastard somehow pulls through. He's one of the all timers.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sounds like he is having heart surgery right now.

Come on Naitch, pull through

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
eeesh. imagine the scar tissue in that guy

famicommander

15 Year Member

Still possibly the funniest promo segment in wrestling history

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ric is out of surgery but he's still not out of the woods yet.

His kidneys are functioning, so that's good. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Nature Boy can't die. We already lost Macho Man!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Hope he pulls through okay. A world without the Nature Boy is a sad world indeed.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I just saw a video online of Nature Boy dead lifting 400lbs like a month ago. That would suck if he suddenly died.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've been lighting up candles for the one true champion of all wrestling, the greatest that has ever lived! The Nature Boy will have to keep Mr. Perfect waiting just a bit longer for a reunion.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My good friend used to do night management at one of Sydney's prestigious hotels. One night a bunch of wrestlers were staying and one happened to be Ric Flair. He said Mr. Flair had ladies of the night in and out of his room, copious amounts of expensive liquor delivered to the room and odd requests. At about 3:00am, Rich called through room service of a massive $100 steak, fries and strawberry thickshake. My mate was tasked with the delivery but after knocking on his door for five minutes and no response, he cautiously entered the room to find Ric passed out nude on his bed with empty bottles of booze and other paraphernalia surrounding him. My mate said he poked him in the chest a few times but he was out, so took the food back downstairs and ate it himself.

My thoughts are with Nature Boy on his recovery.

famicommander

15 Year Member
FC doesn't realize it's not real. He talks about how "brutal" the "matches" are :keke:

Just in recent memory:
-Katsuyori Shibata nearly died from a subdural hemotoma after a stiff headbutt delivered to Kazuchika Okada
-Tomoaki Honma broke his neck on a botched rope hung DDT from Jado
-Perro Aguayo Jr was killed in the ring by a dropkick to the back of the neck from Rey Mysterio Jr
-Yoshihiro Takayama was paralyzed from the neck down on a bad landing from a sunset flip
-Bryan Danielson (aka Daniel Bryan) was forced to retire due to brain lesions from too many head shots
-TK O'Ryan snapped his leg at the shin doing a flip to the outside of the ring; he jumped too far and hit the metal barricade
-Hiroshi Tanahashi ruptured a biceps tendon and has continued wrestling with the injury for five months and counting
-Tyson Kidd broke his neck on a muscle buster from Samoa Joe

I've literally seen people die in the ring. And most wrestlers end up dead from head trauma or painkiller addictions at a very young age.

The outcomes are predetermined and the moves are designed to be safe but there's only so much you can fake. These guys get concussions as often as NFL players, if not more.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Just in recent memory:
-Katsuyori Shibata nearly died from a subdural hemotoma after a stiff headbutt delivered to Kazuchika Okada
-Tomoaki Honma broke his neck on a botched rope hung DDT from Jado
-Perro Aguayo Jr was killed in the ring by a dropkick to the back of the neck from Rey Mysterio Jr
-Yoshihiro Takayama was paralyzed from the neck down on a bad landing from a sunset flip
-Bryan Danielson (aka Daniel Bryan) was forced to retire due to brain lesions from too many head shots
-TK O'Ryan snapped his leg at the shin doing a flip to the outside of the ring; he jumped too far and hit the metal barricade
-Hiroshi Tanahashi ruptured a biceps tendon and has continued wrestling with the injury for five months and counting
-Tyson Kidd broke his neck on a muscle buster from Samoa Joe

I've literally seen people die in the ring. And most wrestlers end up dead from head trauma or painkiller addictions at a very young age.

The outcomes are predetermined and the moves are designed to be safe but there's only so much you can fake. These guys get concussions as often as NFL players, if not more.

So unintentional affliction is what makes wrestling worth watching? Wut?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Part of it. Its why folks watch Nascar, right?

famicommander

15 Year Member
So unintentional affliction is what makes wrestling worth watching? Wut?

Not at all. First off, Shibata got hurt on an intentional headbutt. Especially in Japan it's common for wrestlers to throw full contact headbutts, body kicks, body punches, palm thrusts to the face, forearms to the face, etc. Pretty much everything but full on punches and kicks to the head or face.

Second, this is the wrestling promotion that puts on the "brutal" match madman was whining about:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

200.webp

tumblr_nsntb3w28Z1rofocqo1_500.gif

tumblr_nsmz3lJCEh1rofocqo1_400.gif

tumblr_nso4q84BBS1sbzhteo1_400.gif

And the specific match was a strap match, in which the fans were given straps and actually allowed to hit the wrestlers with them. This is what you come out of that match looking like
photo-apr-21-7-55-18-pm.jpg

Scripted? Choreographed? Absolutely. But you can't tell me that isn't brutal or dangerous.