Ric Flair in ICU, placed in medically induced coma

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Modern day mythology.

That is what it is.... If it is done right.

Essentially, a good wrestling story is about how a hero archetype overcomes a much more powerful (and dastardly) Villian archetype. And the story of how that happens is a reflection on the culture that tells the story.

Archetypes, yeah, sounds about right. What strikes me most, though, is an iteration aspect: wrestlers are pretending to pretend. Their real fight and real pain is covered by a staging act. It's not the fight, that is a mockery, but their consent to make you believe so, meanwhile ending up in ICU...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Archetypes, yeah, sounds about right. What strikes me most, though, is an iteration aspect: wrestlers are pretending to pretend. Their real fight and real pain is covered by a staging act. It's not the fight, that is a mockery, but their consent to make you believe so, meanwhile ending up in ICU...

I like to think of it as people doing their own stunts. Live in front of an audience with no (or almost no) camera trickery.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Wrestling is just dumb fun. Really dumb fun. Anyone looking for a deeper meaning than that isn't going to find it. People watch wrestling for cool athletic feats performed live, funny improvisation, scantily clad women (or men if you're norton), Jerry Springer style trashiness, 5 midgets fighting a giant, etc.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like wrestling for the moves, dexterity, the accuracy, athletics, all the things that involve actual wrestling as in the actual combat in a choreographed environment. Someone mentioned it's like watching a martial arts movie...yes and no...the point is, wrestling is just another form of entertainment, yes some believe that there should be more entertainment than actual wrestling...well that's just a different matter all together.

Great wrestlers that belong with Ric Flair

The Holy Trinity

The Nature Boy Ric Flair
Randy The Macho Man Savage
Ricky Steamboat The Dragon

The rest live beneath tem, the matches between those 3 are just insane, top quality, just watch any of them, every single one of them just excellent.

Also

Eddie Guerrero
Dean Malenko
Perry Saturn
Chris Benoit
Kurt Angle
Brock Lesnar

Then we got Lucha Libre, oh man, maybe that's why some people don't get it. I grew up with Lucha Libre, AAA, the greats!

Atlantis
Lizmark
Blue Devil
Octagon

So many amazing matches during those times, Lucha Libre is like Folklore, it has more to do with tradition than cheap entertainment. Different worlds!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wrestling is just dumb fun. Really dumb fun. Anyone looking for a deeper meaning than that isn't going to find it. People watch wrestling for cool athletic feats performed live, funny improvisation, scantily clad women (or men if you're norton), Jerry Springer style trashiness, 5 midgets fighting a giant, etc.

Really? I thought you had more respect for the business than that, and that's a shoot brother.

Trying to make it look like you don't care about true pro wrestling fighting spirit?

A bunch of attitude-era hot shotted gimmicks is why you like wrestling?

Insane work rate is dumb fun??????!?!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great matches are still dumb. They require too much suspension of disbelief to be anything else.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I like wrestling for the moves, dexterity, the accuracy, athletics, all the things that involve actual wrestling as in the actual combat in a choreographed environment. Someone mentioned it's like watching a martial arts movie...yes and no...the point is, wrestling is just another form of entertainment, yes some believe that there should be more entertainment than actual wrestling...well that's just a different matter all together.

Great wrestlers that belong with Ric Flair

The Holy Trinity

The Nature Boy Ric Flair
Randy The Macho Man Savage
Ricky Steamboat The Dragon

Of those 3, I have only seen Steamboat perform. Either in 2009 or 2010 when he was a road agent.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
tumblr_lli8scUm6v1qzckoq.jpg

Sell Like a Heel.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
@Norton: That's awesome, I wish I had the chance, I arrive to the US in 1995, well past the glory days but it's ok, I was there in spirit.

Edit:
Really? I thought you had more respect for the business than that, and that's a shoot brother.

Trying to make it look like you don't care about true pro wrestling fighting spirit?

A bunch of attitude-era hot shotted gimmicks is why you like wrestling?

Insane work rate is dumb fun??????!?!

I've noticed that about Fanny but then again...and shooting from the hip!...you can't judge what people like about wrestling, not anymore, it has changed too much. I could start nit picking over your choices, fanny's choices, even my own choices. There's just too many angles, to me perfect wrestling means Malenko but to some the Iceman is boring, so I dunno, to each their own I guess.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in the contrary I'm with you in theory but the truth is I find some of the choices the "WWE" haters come up with are just as shoddy if not worse than what they actually hate.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Of those 3, I have only seen Steamboat perform. Either in 2009 or 2010 when he was a road agent.

I was able to see all 3 live a few times. The matches that stand out, Mach vs Steamboat Wrestlemania III and Flair losing the title to Ronnie Garvin in a steel cage.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Of course WMIII Macho vs Dragon is a fucking showcase staple of a match, still holds up as one of the best matches ever.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
move # 102...ARMBAR!

Jericho is awesome and that feud was great 'cause of him, he just gets it, still...Malenko > Jericho, all day!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Back on topic:
In regard to Ric Flair's condition, he is still currently in critical condition in Atlanta, GA.

A source close to the situation told PWInsider.com that while reports are out there that Flair had surgery on his colon, those are incorrect.It appears those stories began because Gene Okerlund mistakenly said colon on social media.

The surgery was actually on Flair's bowels due to a massive obstruction caused by a health issue that was complicated by other health issues that Flair had been dealing with, including heart issues that he was already aware of. The situation turned dire when Flair's kidneys shut down due to the obstruction and he is currently undergoing dialysis that will hopefully fix the situation and allow them to return to normal.

Flair was in extremely bad shape several days ago but the outlook, we are told, is better. However, we were cautioned that he is still in critical condition and anything can happen, so he's not out of the woods yet and is expected to need at least one more surgery in the weeks to come. This is NOT a case where Flair will wake up tomorrow and leave the hospital the next day.

Keep your prayers coming.

Naitch kicked out at 2, hit death with a low blow, and rolled him up for the 3 count with a handful of tights.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Of course WMIII Macho vs Dragon is a fucking showcase staple of a match, still holds up as one of the best matches ever.

When I said live, I was in the Silverdome and at the Joe Lewis Arena.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Lion Heart Chris Jericho VS Sabu was an amazing match.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Best match I've ever seen is Cena vs Dolph Ziggler.

Sorry, hate all you want, but that's the best match I've ever seen.

It was maybe 3.5-4 stars.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You have terrible opinions. Cena and Ziggler suck ass.

You weren't there, you didn't see that match.

But you probably wouldn't have cared much for it since it wasn't a clunky spot-fest.

But while we are at it, What is the best match you've seen with your own eyes?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I haven't seen a live wrestling show since before WCW died. They just don't come to Denver, except shit ass WWE.

But the best matches I've ever seen include
Omega vs Okada I, II, and III
CM Punk vs Samoa Joe II
Tanahashi vs Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 10
Austin Aries vs Bryan Danielson at ROH Testing the Limit 2004
AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels vs Samoa Joe at TNA Unbreakable 2005
Kevin Steen vs El Generico at ROH Final Battle 2012
Low Ki vs KENTA at ROH Final Battle 2005
Jay Briscoe vs Jay Lethal at ROH Death Before Dishonor 2015
The Broken Hardys vs The Young Bucks at All Star Extravaganza 2017
Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe at TNA Lockdown 2008
Beer Money Inc vs Motor City Machine Guns on Impact 8/12/2010
Raven vs Rhino at TNA Unbreakable 1
Rey Mysterio Jr vs Psicosis at ECW November to Remember 1995
Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko at ECW Hostile City Showdown 1995
Mick Foley vs Undertaker, King of the Ring 1998
Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn at ECW Hardcore Heaven 1999
Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat at WCW Clash of Champions VI
Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio Jr at WCW Halloween Havoc 1996
Ultimo Dragon vs Rey Mysterio Jr at WCW World War III 1996
Vader vs Ric Flail at Starrcade 1993
Chris Benoit vs DDP vs Raven at WCW Uncensored 1998
Randy Savage vs DDP at WCW Great American Bash 1997
HBK vs Bret Hart, Wrestlemania 1996
Ric Flair vs Randy Savage, Wrestlemania 1992
But Ziggler is a hack ass scrub and Cena only has good matches when someone much better drags it out of him.