Rise of the Neo Geo Demo Scene

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Now that the NeoSD carts are around, I'm willing to bet that we'll see a significant rise in the amount of Neo Geo demos and homebrew. I haven't noticed much of a demo/homebrew scene in the past on mostly the Neo Geo CD, but now I'm beginning to see more of it on actual cart-based NG hardware. Anybody have any projects they're working on or have heard about them at the moment?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you've seen more of it then why aren't you sharing it upfront?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
If only there was a sub-forum for such ideas. That'd be a swell idea. Maybe then we can work on a N64 sub-forum, because I predict there'll be a rise in popularity for that, no?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Maybe then we can work on a N64 sub-forum, because I predict there'll be a rise in popularity for that, no?
The N64 comeback has already begun. I'm going to petition Nintendo to start making new controllers again. Should be a pushover.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Anybody have any projects they're working on or have heard about them at the moment?

Titan was challenged to make a Neo demo, but I haven't heard anything. I'm suspecting their next big one will be for the SNES, but Neo would be a.nice surprise. Sometimes they choose less popular platforms, amongst scene members anyway. When they do, it's usually great.

Our best bet is to wait for Revision 2018. It's kind of THE party for hi-end surprise console demos. We can only hope!

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
If only there was a sub-forum for such ideas. That'd be a swell idea. Maybe then we can work on a N64 sub-forum, because I predict there'll be a rise in popularity for that, no?

I'm fully aware of the dev sub-forum. I figured I'd have a higher chance of more discussion in General since the Dev sub-forum has far less traffic.

Titan was challenged to make a Neo demo, but I haven't heard anything. I'm suspecting their next big one will be for the SNES, but Neo would be a.nice surprise. Sometimes they choose less popular platforms, amongst scene members anyway. When they do, it's usually great.

Our best bet is to wait for Revision 2018. It's kind of THE party for hi-end surprise console demos. We can only hope!

I'm actually really happy that they created a game engine for both the Saturn and Dreamcast. If they work their magic on a Neo Geo game dev engine, that'd be pretty cool to have. It'd make things a little more painless

NexusX

Astra Superstar
The N64 comeback has already begun. I'm going to petition Nintendo to start making new controllers again. Should be a pushover.

I think everyone is waiting on a N64 Classic Edition with 4 player support. I would love to buy that. Especially if they were wiimote compatible like the NES CE controllers were.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I think everyone is waiting on a N64 Classic Edition with 4 player support. I would love to buy that. Especially if they were wiimote compatible like the NES CE controllers were.

I hope they release it with a much better joystick that doesn't break if you even sneeze on it. Also hoping Mario Party 3 makes it in. Granted I love Mario Party 2, but the AI just felt unforgiving in that game if you were playing on your own.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
i bet your joysticks are loose like your asshole is

Lulz, 7 years and still a tryhard hoping to fit in here. Keep your faggotry in the war room. Or better yet, in your bedroom instead of this forum.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Still have all my OG N64 controllers from the 90s, they work fine.

I have mine from about 2001 still. It's fine but doesn't move as smooth as it used to, like it's grinding or something. I got lucky I guess. My cousins, not so much. They had a lot of issues with em. Speaking of N64 sticks, I remember I ordered an Enkko stick but still haven't gotten mine yet even though the date that it was supposed to be shipped out to consumers was November of last year.

Edit: They planned on doing so last year but ran into issues with materials from what I just read.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I haven't noticed much of a demo/homebrew scene in the past
so what is this thread about now - demos or homebrew games? The latter there have been quite a few I'm sure you're aware...

as to the whole n64 stick thing, you should check out this (now open source) replacement hack. I've got one of the v3 ones, never updated the firmware as it works very smoothly...

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
so what is this thread about now - demos or homebrew games? The latter there have been quite a few I'm sure you're aware...

If it makes any sense, I'm wanting to see certain demos of what could be done on Neo-Geo hardware, and if it works, there could be homebrew games made from what was done in the demo. For example, let's say someone wanted to pull off a fake mode 7 effect like others have done on lesser hardware, we could see something like F-Zero or a kart racer. Something to that effect I guess.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Demo scene? You mean that crap NG:Dev have been shovelling for the past ten years? :spock:

Then there was this group of cock smokers called "Mega Enterprise"... think they were into the "demo" scene.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I'm actually really happy that they created a game engine for both the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Oh? I wasn't aware of any Titan stuff for the Saturn. Any links? As for Neo, I remembered reading through a thread at Sega16 few years back. Sik [a Titan member] and a couple of other knowledgeable members [Chilly Willy, TmEE] were discussing Neo capabilities. What started as a theoretical "can Neo do polygons" turned into several pages of interesting discussion with many interesting ideas. I really hope they will do a Neo demo one day, because they certainly know how to approach the platform. Plus, they did amazing stuff on consoles, including polygonal 3D on a WonderSwan. This year's Overdrive 2 for the MegaDrive was insane. I was so impressed with it, I bought an Everdrive X7 just to be able to run it.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
This year's Overdrive 2 for the MegaDrive was insane. I was so impressed with it, I bought an Everdrive X7 just to be able to run it.
Same, then I found out that my asia pal megadrive wasn't compatible with the demo.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Same, then I found out that my asia pal megadrive wasn't compatible with the demo.

Bummer. I have two PAL MDs. Titan were aware that it wouldn't work on every console because of the use of registers they've discovered. One of my MDs shows some glitching when the register is used, and the other one plays the demo with no graphical glitches, but without sound. It's probably a console issue, though. So your console is 50Hz, but won't run the demo? It runs a region check. If it displays the screen where it says you need 50Hz to run it, contact Titan folks on IRC or Pouet. Maybe they can add a compatibility mode for asian models?

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Here's a video of their game Survival Code, running on a game dev engine that works between both the Saturn and DC.
https://youtu.be/sYPGpj4o_KA

Also saw a 3D demo somewhere on YouTube for the NGPC. Looked impressive, in all honesty.
Wonder how well a Neo-Geo dev competition would go over, if there isn't already one.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Here's a video of their game Survival Code, running on a game dev engine that works between both the Saturn and DC.

I don't think it's the same Titan we're talking about. Titan Game Studios you mention and Titan Demo Group have nothing to do with one another, I don't think. The game studio seems to be just one guy from Brazil.

Wonder how well a Neo-Geo dev competition would go over, if there isn't already one.

Neo Flash used to have annual coding competitions on consoles they've released flash cartridges for. Despite prizes as motivation, quality of productions wasn't too high. I think it's best to let sceners work and to let it happen naturally. When it's forced, it feels and looks forced.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I kinda figured they were two different entities. Whoops lol.

If they're passionate about what they're doing in the competition enough, I don't think it'd feel too forced. I'm not sure though...