River City Ransom: Underground

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Isn't there a sequel on the Super Famicom and another one on the 3DS?

Also game looks good. Trailer had a lot of heart in it.

There was a GBA River City Ransom, too. Was that sequel, port, or what?

I've got it around here somewhere but I can't remember.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm interested, but no mac version or 3DS. No sale.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's halfway through already and barely reaching 50% of the goal. This is probably going to be a close one either way.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Almost at $200,000 with 30 hours to go. Smashed the goal.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Can we stop doing the I'm-so-retro-blocky-sprite look now? Can we just do some awesome high quality 2D instead and stop pretending these games came out on the NES?

Couldn't disagree more.

I'm sick of everything these days that are done with the classic 2-D style having that cheesy high gloss look to it. Low Res NES and/or 16-BIT (when applicable) graphics on modern systems is how it should look. Like for example. DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCE was not only the best playing of the D.D. series but it looked the best, as it should. Then everyone got a raging boner for "Double Dragon Neon" and I was like... ***NOPE, NO FUCKING WAY. Looked like shit to me. I'm of the belief if you're going to make "Classic Style" games then by God that motherfucker should look like something that should have come out for whatever the applicable system aesthetic the programmers are going for. Just like how there's a RETRO 80s Wave of music that sounds like it came out back then, well same difference for the games. What gets me upset is something like Streets of Rage Remake or even this very River City Ransom 2 not somehow getting put onto the original systems and not just current PCs or consoles. But if it's PC it's all good. It's not like these games are going to over clock the PCs that are running them.

All that said. I'm foaming at the mouth to play this game.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
NES River City Ransom is God...

A new title with all of the spirit and gameplay would be something I would buy no question about it...BUT...if it's PC only, that's a no-go for me, I don't PC game.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I love how fluid the animations are, just backed the project. Pretty cool that the game is being made in my home town too!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They've reached the first stretch goal. The 280k console stretch goal seems unlikely though.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Just got round one of the backer rewards today in the mail:

cBrYfQol.jpg

Marek

Banned
Can we stop doing the I'm-so-retro-blocky-sprite look now? Can we just do some awesome high quality 2D instead and stop pretending these games came out on the NES?

In general I agree, but... its River City Ransom. How different could it really be?

MOTW style sprites for RCR would be pretty fucking sweet, albeit totally different - if thats what you're getting at anyway

I love how fluid the animations are, just backed the project. Pretty cool that the game is being made in my home town too!

VISIT AND DETERMINE THE COLOR OF THEIR CARPET BEFORE SHIT HITS THE FAN

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
very cool. Any idea on how the development is going?

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
very cool. Any idea on how the development is going?

I skim over the emails I receive, but if iirc, they had been porting assets over to a newer engine. The animations look fantastic though, and I believe they are going to release software to the community to make custom missions or something like that. I think alpha is just around the corner.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
In general I agree, but... its River City Ransom. How different could it really be?

MOTW style sprites for RCR would be pretty fucking sweet, albeit totally different - if thats what you're getting at anyway

NES games looked like NES games because of hardware limitations. New games look like NES games because people are huffing-heavy-nostalgia.

The aesthetic was fun for a while. I loved the look of Cave Story, the fun re-imaginings of some games, hell even 3D Dot Game Heroes and the ilk... but now it feels like we've done the retro thing to death.

I'd love to see some fresh 2D games that would have made our NES playing selves cum our pants if they came out back then. I'd love for these games to do more than sell an aesthetic and actually make cool 2D games that push the current technology.

Maybe making this point in a River City Ransom reboot thread is sort of dumb. I get it... It's RCR, and it probably should look like RCR. It's just getting harder for me to get excited about the nostalgia-ware these days. I just want some killer new 2D stuff, but I almost feel like the only reason people even buy 2D stuff now is because it has NES graphics.

Hell people are even going meta and copying Atari 2600 style graphics now. Haha. I'm just afraid that's all 2D is ever going to be from here on out, and the days of gorgeous hand drawn 2D games are going to disappear into the ether.

Well... until those become retro, of course. Shit, maybe in twenty years they'll do games that look like Disney cartoons, and I can cum in my twenty year older pants.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Now? I mean it's possible, right? Thank God Arc Systems actually tries.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Don't worry. 2d will be around and it will be a little different each time. Whether it's Dragon's Lair in 1983 or Dragon's Crown 30 years later. 2d today is the dream of what Saturn developers were attempting in the mid to late 90's. I don't think we've entered the golden age of what people dreamed 2d would be in 1983. We're still coming out the other side.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Last edited: