Robocop remake (2014 movie)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think that, for me, the first film is such a perfect thing that I don't think this remake would have any effect on me. The first movie is so dark and visceral and, well, fucking SMART about everything it does, and this remake is already taking terrible missteps by homogenizing Murphy and his origins, watering it down, softening the blow to the audience on so many levels.

I think the entity that is Robocop works precisely because it's like being thrown into ice cold water. It's a subversive film with complex themes that work on the undercurrent. The movie is really great, but you really don't know why until you see that beneath the veneer and flash of the violence and action, the movie has a really solid narrative foundation that you just don't see in many movies today. Or, even worse, movies today hamhand it.

This movie looks like it lacks subtlety. It looks like Robocop for dummies and sensetivive teenagers and twenty somethings that grew up in an era where their media exposure has a safety buffer.

Now, more than ever, we need a hard hitting satirical science fiction movie, not a film where Murphy's brutal execution style maiming at the hands of a vicious gang of thugs is replaced with a rather pallid mafia style car bomb.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I think that, for me, the first film is such a perfect thing that I don't think this remake would have any effect on me. The first movie is so dark and visceral and, well, fucking SMART about everything it does, and this remake is already taking terrible missteps by homogenizing Murphy and his origins, watering it down, softening the blow to the audience on so many levels.

I think the entity that is Robocop works precisely because it's like being thrown into ice cold water. It's a subversive film with complex themes that work on the undercurrent. The movie is really great, but you really don't know why until you see that beneath the veneer and flash of the violence and action, the movie has a really solid narrative foundation that you just don't see in many movies today. Or, even worse, movies today hamhand it.

This movie looks like it lacks subtlety. It looks like Robocop for dummies and sensetivive teenagers and twenty somethings that grew up in an era where their media exposure has a safety buffer.

Now, more than ever, we need a hard hitting satirical science fiction movie, not a film where Murphy's brutal execution style maiming at the hands of a vicious gang of thugs is replaced with a rather pallid mafia style car bomb.

Agreed, 101%. By contrast, in one of the short clips posted here, you see a POV shot from one of the ED-209 units Robo is fighting, and a big dumb 'SEARCHING FOR CLEAR SHOT' graphic appears in its display. Yes, the audience couldn't deduce that from the events taking place on screen without that.

Schtupid. No desire to see this. The original is a masterpiece that stands alone.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
:buttrock: just saw the movie with my wife and it was surprisingly good. Went in not expecting much, expecting a cheesefest with no story and left pleasantly surprised. I recommend it!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
:buttrock: just saw the movie with my wife and it was surprisingly good. Went in not expecting much, expecting a cheesefest with no story and left pleasantly surprised. I recommend it!

Boooo.

You're supposed to boycott the damn thing.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I saw it yesterday and wasn't impressed. While it didn't outright suck, I didn't think it was particularly good either. If you're looking for the satire and social commentary of the first film, you won't find it here. The action scenes were very well done, tho. However, there's so much of it, I feel like it was masking the fact that the plot was rather shallow. The plot focuses much more on Murphy's humanity as Robocop than the original did, but the characters lack substance.

Clarence Boddicker and Dick Jones were pretty memorable villains. This movie's equivalent of Boddicker is (briefly) seen a whopping 3 times in the whole film. There's no character development at all as far as the villains go, and it's hard to get excited about a villain being defeated when you just don't care.

The special effects are good, and there's a scene between Robo and some ED-209's that was pretty cool, but all-in-all it was just ok, I guess. I honestly feel that this remake was entirely unnecessary. There was nothing wrong with the first film, it was great. All these remakes are getting old. Are there no fresh movie ideas out there? Why do we have to defile old favourites and cult-classics?

Prehaps it's just that I'm older and more cynical, but I generally don't really think these remakes are any good.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I saw it yesterday and wasn't impressed. While it didn't outright suck, I didn't think it was particularly good either. If you're looking for the satire and social commentary of the first film, you won't find it here. The action scenes were very well done, tho. However, there's so much of it, I feel like it was masking the fact that the plot was rather shallow. The plot focuses much more on Murphy's humanity as Robocop than the original did, but the characters lack substance.

Clarence Boddicker and Dick Jones were pretty memorable villains. This movie's equivalent of Boddicker is (briefly) seen a whopping 3 times in the whole film. There's no character development at all as far as the villains go, and it's hard to get excited about a villain being defeated when you just don't care.

The special effects are good, and there's a scene between Robo and some ED-209's that was pretty cool, but all-in-all it was just ok, I guess. I honestly feel that this remake was entirely unnecessary. There was nothing wrong with the first film, it was great. All these remakes are getting old. Are there no fresh movie ideas out there? Why do we have to defile old favourites and cult-classics?

Prehaps it's just that I'm older and more cynical, but I generally don't really think these remakes are any good.

So many remakes simply miss the point.

The original was definitely 2-layered. The top, easy to see violent layer was what most noticed right off the bat. The deeper layer...the modern telling of Frankenstein, the development of the villains, the social commentary (the director even made fun of a car he despised...how awesome is that?)...all of this seems lost in the remake (no, I haven't seen it).

The point of Robocop is humanity and what makes us individuals. They attempt to erase a man and make a machine out of him but find out they can't. We also get the redemption of him being able to avenge himself...it's a great film.

The remake just follows the "oooo...shiny!!!" design crap most modern films use anymore. Get to the CG, do the product placement, get some big stars and make sure you can make a toy line from it....the plot? Meh...well make that up as we go along. Humanity, character development, a good villain story, social/political commentary...these things do not sell toys at a local Wal Mart...so screw it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Been hearing good things from people on the fence about it who were pleasantly surprised. Gotta check it out for myself later.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Those people are harlots and charlatans. Don't give them money.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
From the folks at Box Office Mojo..

Weekend Estimates:
1. The LEGO Movie - $48.8 million
2. About Last Night - $27 million
3. RoboCop - $21.5 million... >

Do you think now that studios will think on rebooting more movies? People kept sending me this link on Facebook this week with all the movies rumored or are already in production.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/80s-movie-remakes-214713917.html

I get that they want to remake a good movie so it'll have some marquee value and will interest fans in the previous movie. I just don't get why they don't reboot movies that had some good ideas but failed after they where finished. When I was a kid I loved Explorers but when I watch it now and read about what happened you can see the movie's a total clusterfuck. Totally rushed and no third act. The movie just ends. I'd love to see it with a real ending. There's got to be a bunch of other films that could get made better. Just don't screw with the classics. I can bet you five bucks that the original transformation in American Werewolf is going to look a million times better then a new one totally done on a computer.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Probably not. The Total Recall remake was a complete shit sandwich and even that managed to be profitable thanks to the overseas markets. It looks like Hollywood shitting on your favorites has become even more of an institution than it used to be.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If you supported this remake with money, please punch yourself in the sack repeatedly until you are absolutely sure reproduction is impossible. Let your diseased, degenerate bloodline end with you.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
saw it and it's not thaaat bad. although overall it feels more like it should have been a TV series instead of a movie. so i'll just think of it as a remake of the Robocop TV series.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I saw it, but I don't remember anything other than thinking Robocop looked really dumb having one arm longer than the other. And there isn't a single character that is likable in the entire film. No one screen had any charisma whatsoever, especially Alex Murphy. They even made Omar boring for gods sake.

I wasn't really upset about them remaking Robocop though. The franchise is utter shit except for the amazing original film. Anything that could have been tarnished was tarnished years ago.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I saw it, but I don't remember anything other than thinking Robocop looked really dumb having one arm longer than the other. And there isn't a single character that is likable in the entire film. No one screen had any charisma whatsoever, especially Alex Murphy. They even made Omar boring for gods sake.

I wasn't really upset about them remaking Robocop though. The franchise is utter shit except for the amazing original film. Anything that could have been tarnished was tarnished years ago.

The scene where they are revealing "Robocop 2" is pretty fucking hilarious though.

only version I could find had some dude laughing over it....oh well

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The point is that it shouldn't BE a franchise. It should have just been the first amazing movie. The entire reason it IS and will continue to BE a franchise is because you and others keep shelling out money for every piece of shit they slap the Robocop name on. Please stop doing that. Seriously. Please stop it.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If you supported this remake with money, please punch yourself in the sack repeatedly until you are absolutely sure reproduction is impossible. Let your diseased, degenerate bloodline end with you.

I wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
The point is that it shouldn't BE a franchise. It should have just been the first amazing movie. The entire reason it IS and will continue to BE a franchise is because you and others keep shelling out money for every piece of shit they slap the Robocop name on. Please stop doing that. Seriously. Please stop it.

Sorry, I'll stop seeing all these Robocop movies all the time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Please stop doing that. Seriously. Please stop it.

If you had stopped typing before that, I would have honored your wishes. But I don't like being told what to do, so I'm going to watch it in theaters when it comes out in like two weeks here. Purely out of spite. Man, I don't think I've ever watched a movie purely out of spite. But here we are.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
At least this remake seems to have inspired Dark Horse to release the Frank Miller/Walter Siminson Robocop vs. Terminator book in trade form. Been wanting to read that since I was like ten. This was released during a good time for Frank Miller so maybe it aged well. And I'll read anything Simonson draws.