"Robot soldiers" to be deployed in Iraq...

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4199935.stm

'Robot soldiers' bound for Iraq

The US military is planning to deploy robots armed with machine-guns to wage war against insurgents in Iraq.

Eighteen of the 1m-high robots, equipped with cameras and operated by remote control, are going to Iraq this spring, the Associated Press reports.

The machine is based on a robot already used by the military to disable bombs.

Officials say the robot warrior is fast, accurate and will track and attack the enemy with relatively little risk to the lives of US soldiers.

Unlike its human counterparts, the armed robot does not require food, clothing, training, motivation or a pension.

When not needed in war, it can be mothballed in a warehouse.

However, the robot will rely on its human operator, remotely studying footage from its cameras, for the order to open fire.

According to Bob Quinn, a manager with Foster-Miller, the US-based company which worked with the military to develop the robot, the only difference for a soldier is that "his weapon is not at his shoulder, it's up to half a mile away".

Test of metal

The robot fighter has been christened Swords, after the acronym for Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection Systems.

It is based on the Talon robot, which is widely used by the military to disarm bombs.

A US officer who helped test the robot said it was a more accurate shot than the average soldier because it is mounted on a stable platform and takes aim electronically.

"It eliminates the majority of shooting errors you have," said Staff Sgt Santiago Tordillos.

Mr Quinn says there are plans to replace the computer screen, joysticks and keypad in the remote-control unit with a Gameboy-style controller and virtual-reality goggles.

The Foster-Miller company is owned by the QinetiQ Group, a joint venture between the UK's Ministry of Defence and US-based holding company, Carlyle Group.

Its quite disturbing, especially the part about the plans to have a "Gameboy-style" controller...

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
son_of_bael said:
Its quite disturbing, especially the part about the plans to have a "Gameboy-style" controller...

They were originally planning to use a PSP style controller, but they kept getting the dreaded "robot communication errors" during testing :p

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
That shit is just GAY. A Shorter "Short Circuit" Johnny Five unit with some guns and NV capable... hoorah! :rolleyes: *The DOD needs to spend more money in the R&D area for feasible bi-pedal tanks in the vein of VOTOMS Scopedog or even the Front Mission Wanzers. Prefecting that at a scale where four could be ferried around in a C-5 and air dropped with enough firepower/mobility to clear whole sections is what it's all about. But of course we'd rather jack off with purell than to perfect a sexaroid real doll.

MERCENARY X99

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
For some strange reason, I have visions of the OCP in my head, after reading this.

Iraq going from their way of life to a science fiction nightmare, the next. Now that's a troop I can expect everybody to quickly ask to leave their country, if there is one.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
You guys just love t3h drama. These "robots" have zero artificial intelligence, and are essentially just a remote-controlled extension of a soldier's are with a camera and a gun attached to it.

As cool as the idea is, we probably won't be around to see robots take over the world. Sorry guys.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea to get these robots into action. The fewer casualties the better.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
what a Christmas present that would have made :)

edit - I'd love a robot shaped like a cupped female hand going back and forth with adjustable speed

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Of course it's not like T2, or Robocop with fully automated units. I definitely know we don't really have the AI to perform that kind of thing, and it has to be done with actual people controlling them. It's just a step closer to videogames being played to end skirmishes. Hmm. Maybe the future will bring us Videogame tournaments to end political disagreements? Heh heh.

Person 1: "My policy will bring increased trade, while providing us with much needed protection of our borders, via the allies."

Person 2: "Your policy is just a mask to undermine our heritage. What you're asking is for us to change our way of life!"

Person 1: "This would do no such thing. I never spoke of dropping our traditions. It's just the best policy at hand to increase our economical climate!"

Person 2: "That's what it says on paper. But this is our livelihood we're talking about! I can see you're not going to back down on this. If you wont listen, then we'll have to settle this another way."

Person 1: "Is that a threat?"

Person 2: "No, a promise."

Person 1: "Ok. We'll settle this with a Third Strike offensive!"

Person 2: "Fine. Let's go!"

Person 1: "Ha! Your cheesy Ken tactics will do nothing to halt my policy; I have the perfect counter!"

(Of course, if they announce a new *powerglove* technology to aid in all of this, I'm done. :) :) :) )

Last edited: