Rogue Legacy

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
damn good game right here

if you have Steam and are into Castlevania-type action games that are seriously challenging you should check it out

it has a unique premise that when you die your character is replaced by the next generation of your family, but the twist is that each generation has different stats, abilities, and strengths/weaknesses so you're always playing a bit differently than you were before (there's a fair amount of comedic value in these stats as well)

there's a pretty simple yet beefy upgrade system that revolves around the money you find in-game and so far accumulating as much as possible seems to be the key element in progressing

also, it's hard as fuck

i keep dying, but i also don't seem to care

i grabbed this for a few bucks a while back but forgot all about it until i was looking at my Steam library--seriously, check it out; i think that vast majority of people here would seriously dig it

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Saw the title and thought "Rogue Galaxy sequel?! Hell YES!!!"

Somewhat disappointed now...

Jon

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I haven't played since August, I remember reading the game was scheduled for a patch/upgrade... With another class, new unlockable branch of abilities and additional boss.
As I haven't played recently, I don't know for sure if this has happened yet?

Its a solid game, but very very hard IMO. I was only able to beat one boss (the huge eyeball thing) and I had unlocked/upgraded every branch to some rather high levels.
The best/easiest character class to use is the dragon. You can simply fly around and shoot enemies with multiple fireballs (provided you have magic meter).

Don't waste money on "Haggle" upgrade, its expensive and just about worthless. Rather for a big money runs... Use a Miner or Spelunker, enable all your Goldup items/skills and just go for treasure chests, run from danger/bosses like the wind.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Great game. Frustratingly difficult later to get money because things start to cost so much and you don't get a lot (or enough) money. Unless there's some tactic that I'm not doing.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This game does in fact rule. I put some serious time into it when it was released and have just recently been easing back into it.

I have only defeated 2 bosses. The difficulty is up there in a good way. I enjoy the different traits your characters get except for that one that puts you on the ceiling. I don't make it very far on those runs.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'd really like to see this game on a console. I really should just break down and buy it, really no excuse of not having it.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Is this in the vein of the classic Rogue games?

This dynamic/story was at play in the Infinity Blade series of iOS games. Liked it, but it got old as you got a few generations in. Basically a way to force in-app purchases on you.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Got it a while ago but have not had a chance to really play it. Maybe I should jump in.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Is this in the vein of the classic Rogue games?

This dynamic/story was at play in the Infinity Blade series of iOS games. Liked it, but it got old as you got a few generations in. Basically a way to force in-app purchases on you.

Nothing like the classic rogue game. If you're into those I recommend Tales of Maj'Eyal (now on Steam) and Brogue (always FREE and on iPad).

Rogue Legacy is great. It's much more like a Symphony of the Night with a great difficulty and cool graphics. There are SO MANY references to SotN in it. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it's getting a little frustrating.

I'm playing Spelunky a bit more than Rogue Legacy. I find it to be a bit more satisfying because of the interacting between items and monsters. Rogue Legacy is great, but the game doesn't feel as deep as Spelunky.

Cool game. Probably will play a few games of it tonight before bed. I hear it's coming out on Vita soon.. that will be AWESOME!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you like Rogue games, I've been playing the hell heck out of Risk of Rain.

it's a very popular genre these days.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
DoomRL is another good one.

I've had Rogue Legacy kicking around for a while, now I've been convinced to try it out.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Started playing it today. I really like the genetic traits when choosing your heirs.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
finally just beat the first boss

think i am at level 38 or something

the game starts to give you a lot of options as you get into it

enjoying the hell out of this game

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
beat the first Remix Boss

that was a bitch in a half

literally did not move from my position until i beat that fucker

hadn't done that type of gaming in years

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Joe is littering my activity feed with Rogue Legacy achievements and I hate him for it :mad:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
haha

seriously in love with this game

makes me feel like a kid again--just endless playing for the sake of completion

shame i am an adult and have to stop playing because i have adult stuff to do

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
It's pretty fun, it definitely has that 'one more go' aspect to it that I really enjoy about games. I could easily see someone not having the patience to make it through the first grip of levels where essentially nothing is happening, the same almost happened to me. Control with the 360 controller was nice too, I was forced to use keyboard a bit when the game had difficulty recognizing my controller, and it was significantly less fun.

I've got some weird thing where a bunch of the fullscreen Steam games think I'm pressing up and to the left on an imaginary joystick.. That's what happened when I loaded up this one.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
brentsg, do you have the Xbox360 controller driver installed? I've had the same issue due to that driver, even when no controller is plugged in. For an "official" Microsoft controller, the driver sure is buggy in Windows. :(

I just got around to installing Rogue Legacy yesterday (done with Volgarr the Viking for a while, finally got the A ending).

Pretty nice game so far, and lots of hilarious stuff to experiment with. I beat one boss so far. Tried out the Garden boss, spent some time jumping around to check out the arena, and found out it is a bad idea to waste time in that fight, haha.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Ostiophobia

almost lost my goddamn mind

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

(only Wes will care about this)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
haha

I've been playing a lot of Rogue Legacy lately. For some reason, I just stopped playing for a couple months and a couple days ago I fired it back up and have been putting in an hour or two here and there. That's the great thing about this game --you can take time off and hop back in like nothing happened. I have one more boss to go that keeps kicking my ass --that blob that changes into smaller blobs, then magicians that shoot shit from the ground. The boss wouldn't be that hard if it didn't have those fucking spikes at the bottom of the screen. But I'm content with farming gold, leveling up my dude, and collecting blueprints in the meantime.