ROM swapping in MVS carts

antron

n00b
I wanted to know if there is a list of what MVS carts can be turned into other games my swapping ROM chips with burned EPROMs.

Basically take a cheap MVS or boot and turn it into a game that I want to play on real hardware.

Thanks for any information or links you may have.

edit:
or can I just look at the rom sets and find a game with the same number and size roms?

Last edited:

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
I wanted to know if there is a list of what MVS carts can be turned into other games my swapping ROM chips with burned EPROMs.

Basically take a cheap MVS or boot and turn it into a game that I want to play on real hardware.

Thanks for any information or links you may have.

edit:
or can I just look at the rom sets and find a game with the same number and size roms?

No offence, but you're asking about turning an original 'cheap' MVS cart into a boot, or a boot into another boot - not something you're likely to get help with :)

Although I've made a few carts meself, they've always been non released stuffs, and I've never used anything to make them other than saccing boots.

antron

n00b
No offence, but you're asking about turning an original 'cheap' MVS cart into a boot, or a boot into another boot - not something you're likely to get help with :)

Although I've made a few carts meself, they've always been non released stuffs, and I've never used anything to make them other than saccing boots.

OK, respect your decision not to share your knowledge of bootleg creation.

I see it as emulation, on real hardware.

Last edited:

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
by the way, where did you learn how to do it?

Hey seriously, don't ever do something like that unless you're doing it to a cart that's bootleg already. But as long as you look like you're about to do that to some real carts.....I don't think anybody here will be willing to help.

antron

n00b
Hey seriously, don't ever do something like that unless you're doing it to a cart that's bootleg already. But as long as you look like you're about to do that to some real carts.....I don't think anybody here will be willing to help.

ebay BIN $5:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WORLD-HEROES-NE...ryZ13716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally believe that hardware I purchase belongs to me to do what I want with. Piracy for profit is a different story.

Or maybe you believe every cart is sacred? Realize that when your body is cold, and you grandchildren clean out your attic, they are going to throw all your neo geo stuff in the trash.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
ebay BIN $5:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WORLD-HEROES-NE...ryZ13716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally believe that hardware I purchase belongs to me to do what I want with. Piracy for profit is a different story.

Or maybe you believe every cart is sacred? Realize that when your body is cold, and you grandchildren clean out your attic, they are going to throw all your neo geo stuff in the trash.

Never said that every cart is sacred, but I will say that I do believe that you're right on the hardware belonging to you once you purchase it. My point is that it could, and things like this have happened in the past, end up on the market again which would add to the already flourishing bootleg problem.

antron

n00b
Never said that every cart is sacred, but I will say that I do believe that you're right on the hardware belonging to you once you purchase it. My point is that it could, and things like this have happened in the past, end up on the market again which would add to the already flourishing bootleg problem.

very true. I guess I am asking you to give me the benefit of the doubt.

I want to play Pulstar, and the only ones for sale on ebay are boots. I would rather make my own. Then I could turn it into something else when I am done.

antron

n00b
wait a minuite, wouldn't buying a boot to convert encourage the comercial production of boots more than anything?

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
I should say that if you've already come into a possession of a boot......but yeah don't buy boots. Buying boots makes baby angels cry.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
you cant take world heroes and turn it into motw.

different size games have different board sets. theres also jumper settings and stuff.

i dont know everything but i know enough to realize its not really worth it.

almost every mvs game can be had under $100 anyway. the time spent soldering roms could be time spent at a job making the money to buy the real game anyway.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
An authentic Pulstar isn't that expensive.

By the way, you may see it as "emulation, on real hardware," but that is by definition wrong use of the term. More accurately, what you'd be doing is piracy on real hardware.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member

By the way, you may see it as "emulation, on real hardware," but that is by definition wrong use of the term. More accurately, what you'd be doing is piracy on real hardware.

I second that! No offense but just buy the fuckin' mvs cart!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Never said that every cart is sacred..

That's OK brother I understand you don't want to be confrontational, so I'll say it for you; EVERY CART IS SACRED. If Romboy here doesn't like it, we'll just deal with him the old fashion way.

Bootlegs are OK sometimes, but it doesn't make it allright. You do whatever it is you wanna do, but if you're asking for advice in a public forum then expect nothing less than public opinion, specially from those who frequent this forum, as most of us here are pretty straight arrows when it comes to Neo.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
wait a minuite, wouldn't buying a boot to convert encourage the comercial production of boots more than anything?

Not anymore as they dont make them anymore. Boots are good for some things like a spare prog or cha board if it has legit boards. Plus you can reuse the shell.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
That's OK brother I understand you don't want to be confrontational, so I'll say it for you; EVERY CART IS SACRED. If Romboy here doesn't like it, we'll just deal with him the old fashion way.

Bootlegs are OK sometimes, but it doesn't make it allright. You do whatever it is you wanna do, but if you're asking for advice in a public forum then expect nothing less than public opinion, specially from those who frequent this forum, as most of us here are pretty straight arrows when it comes to Neo.

Thank you........I'm really trying not to be confrontational, but yeah this might be the wrong place to do that. :oh_no:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
aMithos

many here dont like the topic of making boots but protos carts like ghostlop diggerman and a few others are done the same way and are not discouraged as much . do a search on the carts that are acceptable to make and apply that knowledge to what ever else.

people to learn from jmkurt, mkl,channelmaniac, me but not so much im still learning. the forum has alot of info and most here will respond to kind pm with a few questions.

you need to focus your questions alot because people generally don't want to type for days.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
aMithos

many here dont like the topic of making boots but protos carts like ghostlop diggerman and a few others are done the same way and are not discouraged as much . do a search on the carts that are acceptable to make and apply that knowledge to what ever else.

people to learn from jmkurt, mkl,channelmaniac, me but not so much im still learning. the forum has alot of info and most here will respond to kind pm with a few questions.

you need to focus your questions alot because people generally don't want to type for days.

I've done a search on that stuff warejag, but I'm not the one trying to make a boot, antron is.

antron

n00b

ok, then emulation is piracy on fake hardware.

I'm not going to sell it.

antron

n00b
aMithos

are they bank switched? are there any other processing chips that make carts different besides the bits in the roms?

or do I just need to pick games that have the same size roms? (or go from larger to smaller, if the chips have the same # of pins?

thanks

antron

n00b

what gave you the idea that I don't welcome public opinion concerning this? I love a good debate.

worship you hardware all you want. just don't impose your religion over the freedom of speech of others.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Emulation isn't piracy if you own the original carts.

Or (IMO) if you paid for them 'back in the day'..

The developer got their cut.

As for ROM swapping. Assume you look at the PCB of the game you 'want'; is it really so difficult to locate another game with the same PCB, and alter the jumpers to match, and put in the correct EPROMs or whatever..

I haven't done it myself, but that would seem to be the logical route.. do you realise the pointlessness of this thread?

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
antron, I think you might be missing the point of the objections. Yeah, you own the games and I agree that you can do whatever you want with them. BUT you are asking for help on a forum for the Neo Geo how to destroy a cart to make a fake one to save yourself some cash.

This is largely against the views of most of the members here, I would be surprised if you got the help you were looking for. Most here would rather keep the 1 World Heroes MVS in the market than add 30 fake MotW.

You say you aren't looking to sell it, but who knows what you will actually do and who knows where the cart(s) would end up eventually.

Last edited: