Samurai Shodown 25th anniversay today! (07/07/1993)

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Respect for the creators of this amazing franchise. Here’s hoping they make a decent new game in the series. Although, it will be hard to top SSVS.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Made a few friends thanks to this one! They had it at a local deli arcade back in the day. Agree it would be hard to top SSVS if a new one was made. Samsho2 remains my second fave of the series, but the original still gets some play!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
One of those games that still holds up today. The future really was now!

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I remember purchasing it brand new at Electronics Boutique when it first came out. I paid $260 for it. That was an entire paycheck from McDonald's back in the day.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Minimalism rules, so does the weapon of your choice... *Kuroko, Jiro, Saburo, Shiro and Goro bow down and applaud*

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I remember purchasing it brand new at Electronics Boutique when it first came out. I paid $260 for it. That was an entire paycheck from McDonald's back in the day.
Playing the Neo and smelling like fry grease. Those were the days.

were8kosh

Rugal's Thug
15 Year Member
I would like to see Atlus get the rights to make a new one. I think they would be the best bet at a good game.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The 2nd one still stays fresh even to this day.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I want a decent new entry into the series so bad. VI and Sen can fuck right off.

Unfortunately, you'd get only VII and Sen II. They should loan out the license to a capable indie team and do a spin off, like a Shinobi style game.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Cheers to the team at SNK that pulled this game off. Although I was primarily a Street Fighter 2 player, and did take notice of Mortal Kombat, Samurai Shodown was one of the only other fighters of that era that grabbed and maintained my attention. Ok, I also played a bit of Art of Fighting, but only when I went to the Baskin Robbins that had the cabinet.

I love the opening attract-mode for Sam-Sho 1 with the sakura petals and taiko drums. Still fucking cool as fuck to this day.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Still fun today, and I loved it when it came out in the arcades. It seemed like a big step up in quality for the Neo itself.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I want a decent new entry into the series so bad. VI and Sen can fuck right off.

Unfortunately, you'd get only VII and Sen II. They should loan out the license to a capable indie team and do a spin off, like a Shinobi style game.

I hear you. Although I really wouldn't mind an action spin-off, I wonder which approach they could realistically take at this point in the franchise for an updated mainline sequel though...

A. Re-use old sprites to produce a new numbered entry (i.e. SS VI)
B. Use kof xiv engine/assets for another 2.5D fighter (i.e. SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy)
C. Produce a 3D Bushido Blade-style arena fighter highlighting quick kills rather than combos
D. Hire an external studio like Netherealm to produce a Mortal Kombat X-style reboot violence fest and heavily market it to the west

Perhaps B or even C seem the most likely these days, but time will tell which direction SNK chooses to move in.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Maybe this anniversary will finally bring us an English translation of SS RPG.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Wanfu is my favourite character in any fighting game (together with Heidern). SS will always be a watershed moment for me.

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
Knowing current market trends and the state of SNK, we'll get a visual novel mobile game centered around bringing Cham Cham out of the jungle and updating her look for modern Japan.

For real though, I'd take a 2.5D entry into the series as long as the gameplay is there.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Knowing current market trends and the state of SNK, we'll get a visual novel mobile game centered around bringing Cham Cham out of the jungle and updating her look for modern Japan.

For real though, I'd take a 2.5D entry into the series as long as the gameplay is there.

...and then finding her a date with a lonely weaboo of ambiguous gender.

"Samurai Spirits Cham Cham's Erotic journey: confused banana engorged with warm blood dating sim nights"

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
"B-b-b-but Cham Cham-san, y-y-y-you can't bath n-na-naked in the fountain! Where are your knickers?!" oWo

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
"B-b-b-but Cham Cham-san, y-y-y-you can't bath n-na-naked in the fountain! Where are your knickers?!" oWo

Yep, and then we will get Tam Tam in his monkey form narrating the story and occasionally getting nose bleeds. Because Japan demands 3 things:

1. A cute animal mascot character
2. Getting turned on by your sister
3. Cheap fanservice

You get all three in one instance.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I hear you. Although I really wouldn't mind an action spin-off, I wonder which approach they could realistically take at this point in the franchise for an updated mainline sequel though...

A. Re-use old sprites to produce a new numbered entry (i.e. SS VI)
B. Use kof xiv engine/assets for another 2.5D fighter (i.e. SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy)
C. Produce a 3D Bushido Blade-style arena fighter highlighting quick kills rather than combos
D. Hire an external studio like Netherealm to produce a Mortal Kombat X-style reboot violence fest and heavily market it to the west

Perhaps B or even C seem the most likely these days, but time will tell which direction SNK chooses to move in.

I'd rather go with E.

E. Use the high profile game designers (like the producer of CVS2) to make an all new game (more then likely 2.5D) with an art style befitting of Samurai Shodown.

No offense to KOF XIV. They did a good job using assets another producer was making that was received negatively and turned it into something people thought was "ok". Now is the time to move away from it and make something brand new.