Saturn RGB

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The pinout is telling me that it has RGB, sync and GND straight from the 10pin DIN. But, can I just buy a saturn RGB SCART cable and rewire it to RCA for R,G,B,SYNC and Vid GND?

Or will I need some kind of converter or something.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'm not too sure what you're trying to achieve here... Usually a monitor will have BNC connectors for RGB inputs, not RCA..

Anyway, in the case that it does have RCA, its simply a case of wiring R, G, B and Sync to individual connectors and then splitting the ground 4 ways onto the outside of each of those.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm not too sure what you're trying to achieve here... Usually a monitor will have BNC connectors for RGB inputs, not RCA..

Anyway, in the case that it does have RCA, its simply a case of wiring R, G, B and Sync to individual connectors and then splitting the ground 4 ways onto the outside of each of those.

I know it has BNC. I've used some BNC to RCA adaptors on the monitors BNC outs to make life a little easier.

Sounds like it should be pretty easy, another question. Does the saturn RGB SCART have all 10 pins wired to it?

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
The third party one I bought - I didn't specifically count - appeared to have 7 pins wired.

There was:

Red
Green
Blue
Sync
Left Audio
Right Audio
Composite Video

Which would mean it was missing Luma, Chroma and 5+ volts.

Again... I wasn't paying a ton of attention, I was just rewiring the sucker from SCART to Japanese RGB. So it might have had the S-Video as well.

Drewmantrivia

Crazed MVS Addict
I know it has BNC. I've used some BNC to RCA adaptors on the monitors BNC outs to make life a little easier.

Sounds like it should be pretty easy, another question. Does the saturn RGB SCART have all 10 pins wired to it?

I've done the RCA jacks for all of my rgb cables. Makes it easier to use switch boxes and my jrok box. I just chop off the ends of a cheap component cable and a composite video cable with audio. That covers all your connections you'll need.

The 3rd party Saturn cables i use only have the 7 wires just for rgbs audio and ground. I know there are places that sell mini din 10 connectors but way pricey that i have seen. Easier to just buy to different cables and go from there.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
The third-party RGB SCART cables never have a wire attached to every pin on the mini-DIN connector.

The mini-DIN connectors they use are also moulded, which means they can't be rewired.

There are a couple of different wiring schemas I've seen, one of them doesn't work on Japanese Sega Saturns as it uses the wrong pin for AV switching and RGB enable.

I make custom cables so if you'd like one drop me a PM and we can discuss it. Otherwise I would be happy to let you buy a 10 pin mini-DIN connector that you can wire up yourself, for a nominal fee.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've PM'ed you chaoticjelly.

Thanks for the replies. As long as I can get RGB comp sync and stereo, it'll be all good.

I wouldn't mind doing the same for the PS2 except I've noticed it will need a sync seperator for comp sync.