Secret of Mana remake - the end of an era

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is how SquareEnix dies.

$40 for a game that looks and plays like original $10 WiiWare.

Sound and Music is horrendous. The remastered tracks sound more like free jazz noise. Thankfully you can set it back to original. Turn off the voice acting before it ruins the experience right away.

Graphics are just awful. They are barely Wii quality. There's not even an option to play the original game, so you have to play with the "remastered" graphics. There's nothing endearing about any of this.

Added content? Nope.

Let's hope the Switch collection doesn’t fuck this game up even further.

Square Enix has been overcharging and getting away with it for years thanks to FF nostalgia. This new gen of kids isn't going to pay $20-$40 for a shitty iOS game. FF7 sucks, FF8 sucks worse, and so does current gen SqEnix.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i thought it looked cheap and shit from day one. but have you played all the way through?. because i would like to know if this remake has extra areas and story in comparison to the original.

the original snes game was actually a lot longer and had more content and story than what we got, but they had to cut a lot of it out because the snes carts couldn't hold all of it. so this remake would be a great chance to add all the stuff that didn't make it to the original game.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
i thought it looked cheap and shit from day one.

Same.

Also, has anyone played Secret of Mana recently? It's aged really well and does not need a remake.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Sadly I don't think we'll get the Switch collection. Square has no desire to translate part 3.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
the original snes game was actually a lot longer and had more content and story than what we got, but they had to cut a lot of it out because the snes carts couldn't hold all of it. so this remake would be a great chance to add all the stuff that didn't make it to the original game.

I would love to see a version with all the cut content but there's no way Square still has original version.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Same.

Also, has anyone played Secret of Mana recently? It's aged really well and does not need a remake.

i try to play it once a year and the visuals always impress me. definitely did not need a remake.

I would love to see a version with all the cut content but there's no way Square still has original version.

then there really is no reason what so ever to get this remake.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Sadly I don't think we'll get the Switch collection. Square has no desire to translate part 3.

Yerp. I bought a Seiken Den 3 SFC cart reprogrammed with the fan translation from Ki a few years ago. SE doesn't give a shit; they're not going to translate 3 or release DQX over here. TBH I'm still shocked we actually got DQVII on 3DS. And I wouldn't be too surprised if they decided not to bring DQXI over.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Same.

Funny enough, i agree. However, all the people defending this game say it's only bad because the original doesnt hold up.

Did i mention there's voice acting, but none of the mouths move? It's just lazy.

No i haven't played all the way through. I doubt I will finish it, but there is nothing online that says there is any new content.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Sounds like a trainwreck. Good thing I passed on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I tried the Adventure of Mana from a few years ago, which was a $40 remake of Seiken 1. It was shitty and soulless and I wish I could get my money back. This sounds like more of the same.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Funny enough, i agree. However, all the people defending this game say it's only bad because the original doesn't hold up.

Hahaha, if there was ever a statement that immediately invalidates itself.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I tried the Adventure of Mana from a few years ago, which was a $40 remake of Seiken 1. It was shitty and soulless and I wish I could get my money back. This sounds like more of the same.

that game wasn't $40.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Major let down. I beat the original in 3 player mode, was the only time I played an RPG with friends and was a blast. I tried the fan translation and I’m about 15 hours in but I didn’t think the game was as good, but I still wanna complete it someday. Sword of Mana on GBA is the tits though. They should remake that one and not screw it up. On that switch collection does anyone know if you can play 3 players?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I didn't even know there was a remake.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
More incentive to play the original. Never played the SNES version before, gonna fire it up for the first time today.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Could be worse. Could be what they did to FF5 and 6. THAT shit's an abomination.

ffvigarbage.jpg

Robert

20 Year Member
Never played the original one and I didn't even know there was a remake.
If I had to make it, I would go for the original everyday but the problem is that it was never released on any console in its original version.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Isn't there a Seiken Densetsu collection for the Swift in japan that's still in 2d? Too bad the chances of that coming to the US is 0%.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Going by screenshots, the remake doesn't seem that horrible, just ho hum and by the numbers more than anything.

This however seems to sum up modern SquareEnix and the rest of Japan perfectly...

Secret-of-Mana_2017_08-25-17_013.jpg

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Isn't there a Seiken Densetsu collection for the Swift in japan that's still in 2d? Too bad the chances of that coming to the US is 0%.

They are actually looking into localizing that.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
A $40 Gamestop exclusive? Yeah, someone knew this was a trainwreck.

I'm actually surprised that Gamestop had a midnight release for this thing...