Secret Recipe for Coca Cola

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
The secret recipe for Coke was uncovered by a radio program that realized that a 1979 newspaper article was accompanied by a picture of the original hand-written recipe. Now all we need is for someone to figure out KFC chicken. :)

Reference: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/02/15...-coca-colas-secret-formula-discovered/?hpt=T2

The recipe (alcohol was later removed):

Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color

The secret 7X flavor (use 2 oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Coriander: 5 drops
Neroli: 10 drops
Cinnamon: 10 drops

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
All I can taste is pure, uncaged sugar thats slowly eating away my teeth.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Interesting. Neroli, eh...

Oh, and coca fluid/extract isn't cocaine.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I recall reading about coca cola still using coca extract even in their modern coca cola recipe. But they remove the cocaine alkaloids. The article i read said they have a secret plant (heavily regulated by the dea) that gets the extract from the plant, removes and destroys the cocaine, and then purifies the extract for use in its soda products. How true that is, i dont really know. But its feasable. Seems odd that coca-cola is so engrained in our society that the dea would bends its laws for the creation of pop though.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
well it does not say what type of sugar is used. was there not some big deal about being able to get a different coke in mexico then in the US?

i have not looked at the link yet but how much is this suppose to make with 2.5 gal of water

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
well it does not say what type of sugar is used. was there not some big deal about being able to get a different coke in mexico then in the US?

i have not looked at the link yet but how much is this suppose to make with 2.5 gal of water

Since the recipe is from 1972, it would be for granulated sugar and not HFCS.

It makes probably a little over 3 gallons of syrup. (Actually, since the flavors say for 5 gallons, and the sugar is an unspecified measurement, it could be 5 gallons of syrup).

You can also compare to OpenCola:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola_(drink)

Also, compare to a version taken from Pemberton's diary:

This recipe is attributed to a diary owned by Coca-Cola inventor, John S. Pemberton, just before his death in 1888. (U.S. measures).[11]

* Ingredients:
o 1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
o 3 oz (85 g) citric acid
o 1 US fl oz (30 ml; 1 imp fl oz) vanilla extract
o 1 US qt (946 ml; 33 imp fl oz) lime juice
o 2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring," i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
o 30 lb (14 kg) sugar
o 4 US fl oz (118.3 ml; 4.2 imp fl oz) powder extract of cocaine (decocainized flavor essence of the coca leaf)
o 2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
o caramel sufficient
* "Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool."
* Flavoring (Merchandise 7X):
o 80 oil orange
o 40 oil cinnamon
o 120 oil lemon
o 20 oil coriander
o 40 oil nutmeg
o 40 oil neroli
o 1 US qt (946 ml; 33 imp fl oz) alcohol
* "Let stand 24 hours."

This recipe does not specify when or how the ingredients are mixed, or the flavoring oil quantity units of measure (though it implies that the "Merchandise 7X" was mixed first). This was common in recipes at the time, as it was assumed that preparers knew the method.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
NPR had a pretty fun story on this.

Basically in making a copy of Coke they reasoned that the strength of the ingredients from back in the day weren't as strong as what we have now, so you might not want to put as much as the listed ingredient.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
coca extract is nothing damaging to the body. It makes a fantastic tea and is great for elevation sickness.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
But unmodified it does contain cocaine. Roughly 1-2% from good quality coca shrubs.

It contains about 1% of cocaine alkaloid to be precise.

I've tried original coca candy made in Bolivia, a friend of mine brought it over here a few years ago, tastes great. Ate five of them in a row and felt... well, refreshed. Good stuff.

Nakoruru.Leona

Quiz Detective
woah should have got tested surely :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

I'm still looking for KFC secret recipe, can anybody help me on this ?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I recall reading about coca cola still using coca extract even in their modern coca cola recipe. But they remove the cocaine alkaloids. The article i read said they have a secret plant (heavily regulated by the dea) that gets the extract from the plant, removes and destroys the cocaine, and then purifies the extract for use in its soda products. How true that is, i dont really know. But its feasable. Seems odd that coca-cola is so engrained in our society that the dea would bends its laws for the creation of pop though.

Coca leaf is also an ingredient of Red Bull cola, and it is said that they didn't remove the cocaine alkaloids.

I still have about 10 cans of the stuff in my fridge. It's fucking addictive for some reason. :mr_t: