Sega Dreamcast HDMI Mod

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why can't you just buy a Akura or some other Hdmi adapter? I have the Akura and it works great.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Why dont you buy a VGA box and hook it up that way? It seems like an easier solution, but what the fuck do I know?

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Why dont you buy a VGA box and hook it up that way? It seems like an easier solution, but what the fuck do I know?

That's how I have mine running. Prior to the Akura coming out I bought the Hanzo, and routed it to the Kenzei and upscale that. Works pretty well, and the Hanzo is a very nice VGA box in its own right.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
That's how I have mine running. Prior to the Akura coming out I bought the Hanzo, and routed it to the Kenzei and upscale that. Works pretty well, and the Hanzo is a very nice VGA box in its own right.

I got a retro-bit VGA box and it looks fantastic.

Why do people always have to do this autistic faggot "upscale" shit with old consoles? They weren't made for HD, you're not going to get a "perfect" picture on a modern TV.

Justin

Banned
Can someone post a link for akura or if you have one to sell pm me.I would even be interested in a Dreamcast bundle .I would like one that’s in better shape than mine.Thanks for everyone’s help

sparksterz

Camel Slug

Why do people always have to do this autistic faggot "upscale" shit with old consoles? They weren't made for HD, you're not going to get a "perfect" picture on a modern TV.

I used to have a retro-bit VGA box, but it died on me - not sure why.

I'm not after perfect so much as I am looking for "playable", and it's not like my TVs have SCART built-in. Even finding a TV with a VGA anymore is a challenge, so I figured I may as well make it in line with my other consoles. Besides if I really want a good Dreamcast experience I can boot up the Naomi :p

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I concur on the Akura Box. I have issues with RGB games not booting with the VGA mode

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Because new screens can only display at their native resolutions and the built-in upscalers don't work well for games.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Exactly.

for lots of people, using crt is not a viable option due to space/weight issues. Also, a lot of new monitors don't have vga ports anymore.

I'm using an old Performance vga box + OSSC for my dc setup, and it works perfectly.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
As far as I'm even aware, there isn't a mass produced kit to add HDMI inside of the DC shell yet... Your best bet, like many others are saying, is to go the VGA box or Akura HDMI box route. I also might be wrong, but I think they just came out with an HDMI cable for DC as well through another manufacturer, so that might not be bad.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Pound Technology made an HD Link cable for the DC, it looks just a tad less clear than VGA. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same restrictions and game issues as VGA does for certain games.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Yeah, the Pound link one doesn’t allow you to trick the RGB games into VGA mode like the Akura. My Akura is super sharp, love it

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Pound Technology made an HD Link cable for the DC, it looks just a tad less clear than VGA. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same restrictions and game issues as VGA does for certain games.
I got a pound cable for DC and it looks great. but make sure to get the newer type. A buddy of mine got the one that was one complete unit(original cable released) and i did notice the same. its not as clear as VGA but i got the newer model with the HDMI port on it and use a Gold Monster HDMI cable its its a lot sharper than his. The HDMI cable used makes a differince.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I got a pound cable for DC and it looks great. but make sure to get the newer type. A buddy of mine got the one that was one complete unit(original cable released) and i did notice the same. its not as clear as VGA but i got the newer model with the HDMI port on it and use a Gold Monster HDMI cable its its a lot sharper than his. The HDMI cable used makes a differince.

HDMI is a digital signal, it’s not going to make a difference pushing out a signal that is like 640x480

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
HDMI is a digital signal, it’s not going to make a difference pushing out a signal that is like 640x480

Yes you are right its a digital signal. But my point is the amount of data the cable can pass though it, Speed and quality of the cable does make a difference.Being able to use your own Higher quality cables makes a difference from what i have seen and tested. but in the end everything is subjective. to each his own

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Yes you are right its a digital signal. But my point is the amount of data the cable can pass though it, Speed and quality of the cable does make a difference.Being able to use your own Higher quality cables makes a difference from what i have seen and tested. but in the end everything is subjective. to each his own

Speed is needed to push more bandwidth but we’re talking about a 640x480 VGA signal converted to HDMI. The most basic HDMI cable can do that

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
If that thing is seriously $150 I question how it's an appealing option with what's out there already.

it's probably not unless it's able to force VGA mode and put out a higher resolution than VGA. lol

Tenshinhan

n00b
I believe the DCHDMI can double the lines of 480p to 960p and output the 960p image within a 1080p famre/signal (for perfect compatibility). This would be utterly pixel perfect digital signal which could be quite appealing. There's other modes for it too, in case that perfect output is just too clear for people. I'm definitely interested in it. Not buying it any time soon though. VGA to OSSC can get pretty close to the visual clarity of this if you have a monitor that supports 960p resolution. I have an LG PC monitor that can display 960p, but it seems to scale it slightly.

Some times I'm in the mood for playing Dreamcast in a very clear form. However, I think the Dreamcast looks the best with an RGB SCART cable on a Sony PVM. It has that softness of the classic way we used to all play Dreamcast but with saturated color and pretty much non existent video artifacts. Dreamcast has an anti-flicker filter for 480i which basically makes it look like anti-aliasing. I also have some Dreamcasts in 480p VGA on CRT PC monitors. All the different looks of Dreamcast output have some type of appeal to them. After years of playing, I think the truest and most appealing image for Dreamcast is RGB SCART on a Sony PVM (or I'd imagine any TV that supports RGB SCART natively). This output lends itself well to the polygonal and texture detail of Dreamcast. It doesn't draw attention to resolution of textures and pixelated edges of polygons. It allows the visuals to just have a more physical, realistic feel as opposed to an image clearly made out of pixels.