Sega Mega Drive PSU question

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
This is more looking for confirmation that my thinking is right than anything else!

First of all, I'm in Canada, so the outlets are 120v.

I have a Jap Sega Model Mega Drive - the psu is 100V input and outputs 9v / 1.2A

Now, to save messing around with a step-down transformer, if I bought a NA Genesis psu with input 120v / output 9v / 1.2A the console would run with no issues and no damage, right?

Because although the input voltages are different, it's the output that matters?

I'm just being really cautious, so just wanting to check with those more confident at this kind of thing than me!!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah you're thinking about it right

In general with a PSU you want:
Correct input voltage
Correct output voltage
Correct output polarity
Output Amp rating equal or greater than required spec. So a 1.5A PSU in your case is totally fine for example.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The output is more important. Even in Japan are some regions with 110v and the military sometimes even uses 120v. There is always some tolerance regarding mains voltage. You don't need a voltage converter.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
For wall warts, yea, I don't use a step-down generally. For candy cabs with tubes marked 100V I always use one though.

Hulkster

n00b
An NA genesis adapter of the same model should work fine. Confirm your console revision. Unsure if there were differences between the model 1-2 power requirements wise.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Thanks for the help and advice :)

I always use a stepdown transformer with my Japanese hardware... but in some instances where a NA psu can be used it makes life a lot easier (you'd need to see my set-up to understand... lots of consoles... lots of psu's... not so many sockets).

Great, I'll get hold of a NA model 1 Genny psu and I should be ok as long as it outputs 9v / 1.2A :)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
dunno if it means anything, but my japanese model 1 works perfectly with my PAL model 1 240 volt PSU.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yes it's the output that matters. The MD isn't too picky about voltages. The original 30+ year old PSUs aren't putting out the correct voltage at this point anyway. You can check with multimeter. I've never had an issue using the JP PSUs in 120v outlets.

Just tested a few PSUs. The JP ones are outputting ~15v vs ~13v for US adapters. If you are going to replace it, get a new aftermarket model rather than original US one.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Yes it's the output that matters. The MD isn't too picky about voltages.

As an example, I've been using a GameCube adapter (12v) with a homemade 3 way pigtail for my MD/CD/32x.

It might fry everything tonight, but I've yet to have an issue after having it plugged in for 10+ years.