• Poll closed .

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Which is better, Sega or Nintendo?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Is this an upcoming title? Because I've never heard of it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Now: Nintendo
When I was a kid: SEGA

I grew up with a Genesis, Game Gear, and Saturn. Also had an Atari 2600, NES, and Game Boy which got a fair amount of play but I didn't get a Super Nintendo or N64 of my own until like 2001. My grandma had a Super Nintendo and my uncle had a Nintendo 64 so I was familiar with them, but the SEGA stuff (and PS1) was what was getting the most play at my house. My brothers and I were big into Virtua Fighter 2.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I feel like giving this a serious reply, despite the thread being a joke.

I think what I like most about Nintendo consoles isn't the stuff that makes them so beloved (but I could be wrong).

But perhaps the same is true (to a lesser extent) in regards to my taste with sega consoles too.

Bullet point version

NINTENDO

I view the NES and the SNES as the only "real" Nintendo consoles.

I don't really care about first party Nintendo games beyond SMB1 through World and Link to the past.

When playing the SNES, it's going to be an action or shooting game 95% of the time (which many claim are departments that SNES lacked in when compared to generational peers. I don't fully agree).

I grew up as a "Nintendo kid".

SEGA

I don't think there is a single title developed by Sega that I "love", but they definitely have developed more games that I "like" when compared to Nintendo.

Saturn > Mega Drive > Dreamcast for me

I appreciate the companies arcade-centric roots and these roots are plain to see when it comes to titles they've developed, published, ported, or green-lit to release on their consoles.

I never viewed sega as "cool" until I got older.

I find myself playing sega consoles a bit more than nintendo consoles because it's usually a port of an arcade game (developed by a third party).

I still don't prefer one company over the other.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I feel like giving this a serious reply, despite the thread being a joke.

I think what I like most about Nintendo consoles isn't the stuff that makes them so beloved (but I could be wrong).

But perhaps the same is true (to a lesser extent) in regards to my taste with sega consoles too.

Bullet point version

NINTENDO

I view the NES and the SNES as the only "real" Nintendo consoles.

I don't really care about first party Nintendo games beyond SMB1 through World and Link to the past.

When playing the SNES, it's going to be an action or shooting game 95% of the time (which many claim are departments that SNES lacked in when compared to generational peers. I don't fully agree).

I grew up as a "Nintendo kid".

SEGA

I don't think there is a single title developed by Sega that I "love", but they definitely have developed more games that I "like" when compared to Nintendo.

Saturn > Mega Drive > Dreamcast for me

I appreciate the companies arcade-centric roots and these roots are plain to see when it comes to titles they've developed, published, ported, or green-lit to release on their consoles.

I never viewed sega as "cool" until I got older.

I find myself playing sega consoles a bit more than nintendo consoles because it's usually a port of an arcade game (developed by a third party).

I still don't prefer one company over the other.

Nice man baby answer. 4/10

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I had a sega genesis back in the day. I was always envious of my neighbors snes with donkey Kong country and super Mario world. We would borrow each other’s console for a few weeks at a time and I loved it. Only when I got older did I realized I had the superior system the whole time. The snes has less of the type of games I like overall. ( I don’t like RPG’s unfortunately which the snes is known for)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I had a SNES and Mega Drive but honestly I never got any great games for either, certainly not the swansongs of the generation. I did have Nigel Mansell's Championship Racing for the SNES though and Greendog for the Mega Drive, those two were sources of great frustration and success.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Which is better, Sega or Nintendo?
Do you mean, which 16-bit system is better, Sega or Nintendo?
I always thought the SNES was better, because it had better sound.

Last edited:
just stock console or the entire life span?

if just console stock then nintendo purely by market response, if going back to the 4th gen then sega, 3rd gen nintendo, 5th gen tie, 6th gen sega, but hey nintendo still produces hardware.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Do you mean, which 16-bit system is better, Sega or Nintendo?
I always thought the SNES was better, because it had better sound.

A lot of people say that about the way the genesis sounds but I must be in the minority because I love the genesis sound chip. Games like lightening force ( thunder force 4) and streets of rage 2 are some of the best music of the 16bit generation.

I think the 16 bit generation was the best years of gaming overall. Not to mention the Neo geo was released at the same time.