SFV or SFIV--which to play?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I feel like playing a fighter for some reason even though I haven't cared about them in a decade and even then it was casual. For whatever reason, these new SF games have piqued my curiosity.

I read some stuff about V being kind of a mess (online connectivity wise) and it being more casual friendly (good for me...?) But, I'm assuming IV is pretty cheap by now and likely has some kind of stable community--although I expect those who are still playing to be leagues above whatever bottom floor skill level I'll remain at.

My buddy is going to pick up whatever I decide on, so I figured I'd make a thread and ask. He plays the new Killer Instict, Mortal Kombats, and Injustice 2--I've tried them all and they are not for me at all (watching people play them is fun though; Injustice 2 especially with all those bouncy combos.)

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I hate IV and V. Third Strike all day.

Try Tekken 7, King of Fighters XIV, BlazBlue CentralFiction, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, Super Smash Bros 4, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, Ultra Street Fighter II, etc since you already said you don't like Injustice, MK, or KI.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I prefer ultra 4 over 5...
but that being said, there are plenty of other great fighters out there.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
3rd Strike #1 of course... but out of IV & V, I like 5 more then 4(although Ultra 4 is better). Lately though I've been playing Tekken 7. At least if you're an Akuma fan, he's in that.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Man dont listen to any of the horseshit you read about SFV

Really fun game, decent balance, online is usually really good, great character variety, and best of all the game is current so characters stages costumes and balance patches are consistent being updated

SF4 had its time and its still really good. Especially Ultra.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Super Turbo is the #1 off course... but between 5 and 4, i would go with Ultra 4 by a big mile...have you tried Guilty Gear Revelator? its amazing

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Man dont listen to any of the horseshit you read about SFV

Really fun game, decent balance, online is usually really good, great character variety, and best of all the game is current so characters stages costumes and balance patches are consistent being updated

SF4 had its time and its still really good. Especially Ultra.

I play Claw and Honda... they fucking ruined claw.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Ultra 4 is way more fun that V.

V is boring, and doesn't have as much creativity in combos and options that there were in 4.
The game is all offense, very little defence, no wake-up game and lots of 50/50's everywhere.
Everyone plays characters the same way, there is no real "fresh take" to play a character a certain way. It's a highly overrated game and it's no wonder it has been a flop from the get-go.
Not to mention, it's a completely unfinished game. Not much in terms of modes, no single player Arcade, no challenges, and the menu system is atrocious and frustrating.

Fans of V really have Stockholm syndrome, and the sad thing is, they stick with it because they hope Capcom will come to their senses and improve the game as seasons come around. But all they've got were a bunch of lame character releases and stage knock out animations that aren't even in every stage, and some new stages that break the game (and are banned from tourneys).

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Ultra sf2

No one should play that trash. Shit controllers, shit broken bonus characters, criminally overpriced. Buy HDR for $3 or $4 the next time it goes on sale or, better yet, play ST on a cab like god intended.

As long as you have a good internet connection, 5's online is fine unless you're playing across oceans. The game itself has issues but if you're just screwing around with your friends you'll never notice any of that stuff (minimal defensive wake-up options, way too many easy 50/50s that lead to stun/death, too many characters with the same gameplan).

I'd say in its current state, Ultra SF4 is a better game than SF5. But USF4 is also the 5th iteration after they'd ironed out a lot of the issues that game had.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
SFV

Honestly if you want to play USFIV Killer Instinct was based on the SFIV engine and IMO superior to it. SFV is at least different and when playing with friends, fun.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i stopped liking the series after third strike. although i did have some fun with sf4 ultra, sf4 overall just didn't look or feel right. as for sf5, i didn't even give it a try. even sf4 fans didn't like it.

i say scrap both those games and just go ahead and play virtua fighter 5. or you could wait for that new dragonball z game. looks amazing and reminds me a lot of the old marvel vs games.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
No one should play that trash. Shit controllers, shit broken bonus characters, criminally overpriced. Buy HDR for $3 or $4 the next time it goes on sale or, better yet, play ST on a cab like god intended.

As long as you have a good internet connection, 5's online is fine unless you're playing across oceans. The game itself has issues but if you're just screwing around with your friends you'll never notice any of that stuff (minimal defensive wake-up options, way too many easy 50/50s that lead to stun/death, too many characters with the same gameplan).

I'd say in its current state, Ultra SF4 is a better game than SF5. But USF4 is also the 5th iteration after they'd ironed out a lot of the issues that game had.

Shit controller? Only broken character is Akuma and he is broken in ST and HDR. Shit fighter4 and safe fighter5 are the trash games. $40 is well worth the price for me. Only reason I bought a switch.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Just use an arcade stick or a pro controller. Don't tell me you can't afford one, considering you just suggested the average person buy a whole Super Turbo cab.

Also, this is a physical release of HDR. First time they've done that.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Just use an arcade stick or a pro controller. Don't tell me you can't afford one, considering you just suggested the average person buy a whole Super Turbo cab.

Also, this is a physical release of HDR. First time they've done that.

Its a mashup of ST & HDR, more geared towards to ST w/ easier inputs. As for physical, there was an HDR physical disc for the xbox 360.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Wait... easier inputs? What SPD finally go half circle or something? I didn't think there were many inputs that were tricky other then SPD and original Tiger Knee.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Shit controller? Only broken character is Akuma and he is broken in ST and HDR. Shit fighter4 and safe fighter5 are the trash games. $40 is well worth the price for me. Only reason I bought a switch.

Well said. USF2 would be my vote too. Far more fun, better balanced and superior all around game if you're not just having some 3D eye candy hard on going on. Fine if you don't like the default controller, but you can get a stick instead as famicommander pointed out, or even game pad wise the 8bitdo NES 30 Pro which works fantastic (and on ebay new can be had for $30 vs $45 retail.)

SF4 was/is just awful. I know it has a base, but the game had some uniquely annoying tweaks and has some insipidly unbalanced and cheap AI on single player too. They dialed back the stupidity in SF5 as I've seen plenty gamer comments about saying it's more like the old and not like 4. I got so turned off by 4 I've not touched 5 despite some deep cut sales (steam) since it came out. If 4 or 5 is a strict choose one from others experience 5 as I won't touch 4 anymore.

Maybe some day I will try 5, but USF2 is just damn good.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
SFV

Honestly if you want to play USFIV Killer Instinct was based on the SFIV engine and IMO superior to it. SFV is at least different and when playing with friends, fun.

KI is my only current goto fighter. Need to check out the New Tekken,l. Not getting my hopes up though. Lost interest in Tekken and Virtua Fighter a long time ago.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Man, I guess I just don't get some people. I love ST and likely have played more of it than just about any other video game ever but paying $40 for a port of an 8-year-old port of a 20-year-old game that is still available for $3 regularly (and then paying however much on top of that to buy sticks/controllers that don't eat a dick) just seems like lunacy.

You do you, I guess.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
10 bucks on the Steam summer sale get's you the KOF triple pack. It features 98UM, 02UM and KOF XIII, all killer games.

If you gotta play SF though I nominate Third Strike, Alpha 2 or Champion Edition.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
KI is my only current goto fighter. Need to check out the New Tekken,l. Not getting my hopes up though. Lost interest in Tekken and Virtua Fighter a long time ago.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Tekken 7. The story mode is terrible (the only part of the whole thing that isn't actively shitty is the special Shin Akuma fight at very end), but the competitive modes are good and treasure box matches are fun. It uses 3D space really well, I'd forgotten how good Tekken is at doing that. Still not sure how I feel about the Rage system, though.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Man, I guess I just don't get some people. I love ST and likely have played more of it than just about any other video game ever but paying $40 for a port of an 8-year-old port of a 20-year-old game that is still available for $3 regularly (and then paying however much on top of that to buy sticks/controllers that don't eat a dick) just seems like lunacy.

You do you, I guess.

They weren't exact ports though. HDR had new changes & totally balance the game.

Ultra added two new characters & change the meta game by removing soft throws & replace it with tech throw. Also removed some moves from ST like Chun/Honda Store super...Vega's double flip juggle. Buddy mode if you're into co-op play & a pretty neat color edit mode. Best part of it is the active community as of right now. I've gotten hundreds of matches already, which pretty much pays the $40 already. Really dont have to wait long for a match to happen. Ill be on training mode & it will automatically connect to "a new challenger" There is also the portability aspect of it all.

There are quite a few improvements i still want, but i doubt there will be any updates. Need to fix the damage output. For some reason some moves seem to do more then previously. Wish there was a way to omit Akuma or at least remove his air fireball. Lobbies would have been nice too. I actually wished there was DLC for this, imagine if they decided to add characters from other SF series like alpha, sf3, sf4, etc...Maybe on PS5 or XboxTwo.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
They weren't exact ports though. HDR had new changes & totally balance the game.

Ultra added two new characters & change the meta game by removing soft throws & replace it with tech throw. Also removed some moves from ST like Chun/Honda Store super...Vega's double flip juggle. Buddy mode if you're into co-op play & a pretty neat color edit mode. Best part of it is the active community as of right now. I've gotten hundreds of matches already, which pretty much pays the $40 already. Really dont have to wait long for a match to happen. Ill be on training mode & it will automatically connect to "a new challenger" There is also the portability aspect of it all.

There are quite a few improvements i still want, but i doubt there will be any updates. Need to fix the damage output. For some reason some moves seem to do more then previously. Wish there was a way to omit Akuma or at least remove his air fireball. Lobbies would have been nice too. I actually wished there was DLC for this, imagine if they decided to add characters from other SF series like alpha, sf3, sf4, etc...Maybe on PS5 or XboxTwo.

So says the guy who's username is HDRchampion.