Shadow Dancer Bootleg - Expectations?

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I just bought my first bootleg PCB. Had to go this route for Shadow Dancer and a legit unit is like $600. Got this boot for 65 Euros, so even if it sucks I can salvage the EPROMS for another project.

I've never had a boot before. Anyone here have experiences with bootlegs and specifically a SEGA System-18 bootleg? What can I expect?

One thing I noticed that there are some differences in the bootleg I bought from some other bootlegs I've seen of the same game. One boot version has replaces the SEGA copyright with a DATSU copyright. The one I bought does not list any copyright.

If you have info on this - please let a brother know!

sd_boot_02.jpg
- This is shdancbla

vs.

sd_boot_01.jpg
- This is shdancbl

UPDATE: I see there are two bootleg romsets: shdancbla and shdancbl. I will download them and test in an emulator to see what's up.

Last edited:

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
My experience with boots is they usually play fine, but audio is generally worse than a real board and repairing them can be a nightmare, tiny-ass traces and VIAs that'll lift off the board if you fart on em. I have some pre-CPS capcom boots that are indistinguishable from the real deal to me but after trying to fix a couple I told myself only real boards going forward

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Is a legit copy really $600? I got mine back in 2018 on here. The biggest issue was just finding one to buy at all. I don't remember seeing them pop up on eBay, made a WTB thread in the marketplace here, and got lucky I guess. Might be worth a try, but if the cheaper bootleg plays just fine, nothing wrong with sticking with that.

Enjoy the game regardless! I love it, but it's pretty brutal. I almost never could get extra lives from the minigame so the 1CC didn't have a lot of breathing room.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Got the PCB today. It's DOA. You should see the flex in this mufugga PCB! I will post a photo when I can.