SHANK - new beat'em up

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Have you guys seen this yet?

http://pax.gamespot.com/story/6216832/shank-hands-on

The video sucks, mainly because your looking past the dudes head at a TV where you can't make shit out.

My guess is that this will be a PSN/XBLA title.

I hope it has 2 player support because beating people up with friends is greater than doing it yourself.

I also do hope the game will have some more colorful environments.

Last edited:

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
I read a little bit about Shank earlier in the week on Kotaku. So far it looks pretty cool. I'm especially loving the animations, which seems pretty fluid and brutal when it comes to the combat.

I was hoping there would be more than one plane of movement like most Beat 'Em Ups have. It's not a big deal, but I enjoy the freedom of moving around enemies in these types of games, hopefully the standard left and right movement doesn't make the combat feel too rigid.

Either way, I'm definitely amped for this one.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Shank was one of the surprises for me at PAX; I had not heard of it before, but it looked like an auto buy when released, assuming the whole game was as fun as the demo.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I read a little bit about Shank earlier in the week on Kotaku. So far it looks pretty cool. I'm especially loving the animations, which seems pretty fluid and brutal when it comes to the combat.

I was hoping there would be more than one plane of movement like most Beat 'Em Ups have. It's not a big deal, but I enjoy the freedom of moving around enemies in these types of games, hopefully the standard left and right movement doesn't make the combat feel too rigid.

It looks more like an action-platformer type game than a true beat'em up, but I hear what you're saying.

I suppose this probably means it will be 1P only.

At least we're getting more 2D action goodness.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
It looks more like an action-platformer type game than a true beat'em up, but I hear what you're saying.

I suppose this probably means it will be 1P only.

At least we're getting more 2D action goodness.

This was actually my first thought, but I honestly believed upon typing it that the reasoning sounded absurd. Either way, glad to see I'm not entirely off my gourd.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I could really go for a game called SKANK.

I would also like to design such game. I'd still be willing to play it, too, even.

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
Reminds me of the Viewtiful Joe Games. Or to take it even further back Ninja Warriors Again on the SNES and Comix Zone on the Genesis.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,

My first thought as well. If you're going to reference something like Double Dragon (and in doing so, you're automatically brining the best of the best to mind like Streets of Rage and Guardian Heroes), you just automatically think of this. Plus, what's up with the comment of such games not aging well? Well... maybe not DG so much, but still.

I'm also not digging the art style, but that's just personal taste. The movements do look rather fluid and the violence is pretty nice.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
My first thought as well. If you're going to reference something like Double Dragon (and in doing so, you're automatically brining the best of the best to mind like Streets of Rage and Guardian Heroes), you just automatically think of this. Plus, what's up with the comment of such games not aging well? Well... maybe not DG so much, but still.

I'm also not digging the art style, but that's just personal taste. The movements do look rather fluid and the violence is pretty nice.

I agree with you on everything you said (SoR is pretty much my favorite game, after all.). I've never understood all of the flak that Beat 'Em Ups get either, as I still play my favorites religiously, and have to say they're just as fun as the day they were released.

Maybe it's vogue to knock games for being simple, but I just enjoy knocking the snot out of baddies, and I'm not too cool to enjoy the pure joy you get from swinging a lead pipe at a punk, or smashing a phone booth to find a whole turkey with all the fixin's.

I'd kill for a new SoR title, but I know it's never going to happen...

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
One plane system? It does not even compare to the beat'em ups of yesteryear. It reminds me of Ninja Warriors, which was a limited game to begin with.

Can a brother get a real beat'em up? AvP2, SOR4 too much to ask for?

Recent games like Castle Crashers or the BOR homebrew have the soul but have been executed poorly.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
BUMP

This was released on PSN last night. It should be released on XBLA today. I wanted to play it last night, but the download speed was at a crawl. The demo is a fat 2GB, so I wonder how big the full game is? Will be downloading for XBLA today after work.

See you all online.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm still playing Scott Pilgrim, but anyone who has played this please post your impressions, I might grab this next.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
BUMP

This was released on PSN last night. It should be released on XBLA today. I wanted to play it last night, but the download speed was at a crawl. The demo is a fat 2GB, so I wonder how big the full game is? Will be downloading for XBLA today after work.

See you all online.

All the demos you download on the psn and xbl are the full size, but when you buy the full game you download a small patch that unlocks the full game.

Going to download this game tonight also. Looks really cool.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
No online co-op from what I've read. Same thing with Scott Pilgrim.

Wouldn't matter if I were still in high school and had friends to sit on a couch and play this shit with, but that's just not the case any more.

This is just lazy to release an online title and not have an online multi-player feature. So very disappointed.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Wouldn't matter if I were still in high school and had friends to sit on a couch and play this shit with, but that's just not the case any more.

This is just lazy to release an online title and not have an online multi-player feature. So very disappointed.

This. I'll probably download the demo, but won't buy it unless it's really something special. How much is this?

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Not a big fan of the art/animation style, but I'm gonna download the demo and give it a go. Looks fun none the less.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Agreed. It's so lazy.

Well, pretty cool that two awesome XBLA games came out on the same day. I'll grab them both on XBLA in hopes that online will get patched in later.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Finally got to install it and play.

I think it will really grab some and others will find it just okay. I was definitely in the former group.... couldn't wipe the grin off of my face the entire time.
Bosses so far weren't as bad as I had read in reviews (in terms of cheap difficulty) but some of the mid level bosses were pretty challenging if you let too many normal foes accumulate. But the combo kills and variations seem almost endless and are pretty brutal. Sound track and voice acting are great without taking things too seriously... so far the story seems pretty cool as well. Controls feel smooth, don't really find myself doing things I wasn't trying to input and fast weapon switching is pretty smooth and effective as well.

So far I'm really digging it and it's lived up to the hype I built up for the game in my own mind.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I thought the demo was alright, but for 1,200 Space Bucks without online co-op? I think I'll wait till it goes down in price. I knew Scott Pilgrim was offline only co-op but it was cheaper and since I love River City Ransom, it was a no brainer.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I really liked the demo. I can see myself playing this, but I'll wait for it to drop in price first.