Shining Force CD...need moar

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So, I just finished Shining Force CD on the Gen Mini 2. Great game, honestly. I just wish they had mixed up the level music a bit. 20+ hrs of the same tune. Ouch.

Is this story continued in any other Shining Force? Because I would really like to hop to that next.

Edit: looks like SF2 is the continuation? I played SF CD as the first one - is there an ideal order?

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Awesome, I'm not sure if I can play these back to back in a timely manner, so I'll probably just jump straight into 2

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don’t forget about the third GG game, it has an English fan translation and is very good.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict for the GG and SF Feather for NDS are fun often overlooked games.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Isn't Gaiden Final Conflict the same as SF CD?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
1 and 2 on the Genesis were some of the best Strategy/RPGs ever made if not my favorite of all time. I still haven't gotten around to playing the Sega CD version.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
1 and 2 on the Genesis were some of the best Strategy/RPGs ever made if not my favorite of all time. I still haven't gotten around to playing the Sega CD version.
I sorta prefer the CD version as it doesn’t have the lame pseudo rpg walk around bits between battles.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Shining Force 1&2 are great and a must IMO. Haven't played Shining Force 3 (Saturn).

Shining Force Gaiden 1&2 (game gear) got remade into Shining Force CD, which you played.

Shining Force Gaiden 3 remained game gear-only, but there is an excellent translation patch.

There is a Shinig Force 1 Remake on GBA. Heard it's excellent, but I haven't played it.

Other games in the series by the same studio, but not part of the Shining Force line:

- Shining in the Darkness on Genesis (dungeon crawler, the first Shining game)

- Shining the Holy Arc on Saturn (sequel to Shining in the Darkness)

- Shining Wisdom on Saturn: Plays like a 2D Zelda. I remember not liking it.

The studio was bought by Nintendo later and made the Golden Sun series. Personally enjoyed them, but not sure I would recommend them to others though (text-heavy).

Also, highly recommending Vandal Hearts 1&2 on PS1. Great S. RPG's.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Shining Force 1&2 are great and a must IMO. Haven't played Shining Force 3 (Saturn).

Shining Force Gaiden 1&2 (game gear) got remade into Shining Force CD, which you played.

Shining Force Gaiden 3 remained game gear-only, but there is an excellent translation patch.

There is a Shinig Force 1 Remake on GBA. Heard it's excellent, but I haven't played it.

Other games in the series by the same studio, but not part of the Shining Force line:

- Shining in the Darkness on Genesis (dungeon crawler, the first Shining game)

- Shining the Holy Arc on Saturn (sequel to Shining in the Darkness)

- Shining Wisdom on Saturn: Plays like a 2D Zelda. I remember not liking it.

The studio was bought by Nintendo later and made the Golden Sun series. Personally enjoyed them, but not sure I would recommend them to others though (text-heavy).

Also, highly recommending Vandal Hearts 1&2 on PS1. Great S. RPG's.
that's a damn good list

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Not a Shining Force game, but Mystaria: The Realms of Lore is something of a hidden gem on Saturn which plays alot like the Shining Force series. I think it’s called Blazing Heroes in the USA.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Not a Shining Force game, but Mystaria: The Realms of Lore is something of a hidden gem on Saturn which plays alot like the Shining Force series. I think it’s called Blazing Heroes in the USA.

woof...that's CHONKY

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, graphically it looks like ass. 3d rendered sprites were all the rage for a while after Donkey Kong Country.

Soundtrack was good though.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Honorable mentions:

Arc the Lad 1&2 (ps1): not as enjoyable / deep, but in the same vein. The official English translation hinders the story.

Valkyrie Chronicles (ps3 and all modern platforms): plays differently, but shares the same strategic aspect and the story is nice. Heard good things about VC4 as well. VC2 / VC3 remain PSP-only, and are not necessary to jump into VC4 after VC1.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
So, I'm a few hours into Shining Force 2...man, I wish I had played these back when they came out but I was too into action games. This game is badass.

Again, without the forced curated collection of the Gen Mini 2, I'd NEVER give these games a serious go.

Edit: also already like this more than SF CD. It just has more going on.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Again, without the forced curated collection of the Gen Mini 2, I'd NEVER give these games a serious go.
I'm happy for you, but come on though. You don't need a mini console to know about the Shining Force games. I know a guy who's not even a nerd who likes them.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'm happy for you, but come on though. You don't need a mini console to know about the Shining Force games. I know a guy who's not even a nerd who likes them.
Hahah I agree. But with a million devices that play ALL TEH ROMZ, I never find myself focusing on games like this. Honestly, I find myself flipping channels more than anything. I just find these make me chill out and pick something from the virtual shelf and actually play it.

It's really about my ADHD and inability to focus on something when presented with sensory overload/lists of games to play.