Shining Force CD...need moar

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I get it. One of the reasons I still grab physical movies is because it makes it easier to find something to watch, as opposed to having the entire known cinematic library available on the internet, having no idea what to watch and then just watching Spongebob.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Shining Force 1&2 are great and a must IMO. Haven't played Shining Force 3 (Saturn).

Shining Force Gaiden 1&2 (game gear) got remade into Shining Force CD, which you played.

Shining Force Gaiden 3 remained game gear-only, but there is an excellent translation patch.

There is a Shinig Force 1 Remake on GBA. Heard it's excellent, but I haven't played it.

Other games in the series by the same studio, but not part of the Shining Force line:

- Shining in the Darkness on Genesis (dungeon crawler, the first Shining game)

- Shining the Holy Arc on Saturn (sequel to Shining in the Darkness)

- Shining Wisdom on Saturn: Plays like a 2D Zelda. I remember not liking it.

The studio was bought by Nintendo later and made the Golden Sun series. Personally enjoyed them, but not sure I would recommend them to others though (text-heavy).

Also, highly recommending Vandal Hearts 1&2 on PS1. Great S. RPG's.
Where you been homie?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I rented Shining Force from Blockbuster as a kid. I didn't know they removed the save battery from a lot of their games. I kept my Genesis on for an entire weekend to play through that game...after my first sessions didn't save.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I rented Shining Force from Blockbuster as a kid. I didn't know they removed the save battery from a lot of their games. I kept my Genesis on for an entire weekend to play through that game...after my first sessions didn't save.
What? Why?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's the gaming equivalent of only watching something because it happened to land in your Netflix suggestions.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
What? Why?
Why did blockbuster remove save batteries? No idea. Probably a privacy or protection thing. You could name your character whatever, and kids are not that creative.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Why did blockbuster remove save batteries? No idea. Probably a privacy or protection thing. You could name your character whatever, and kids are not that creative.

My lord that store sucked…

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Blockbusters didn’t take the batteries out of cartridges in the UK, lol

I wonder if Nintendo asked them to, to stop kids completing a game on a rental or some shit.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Triangle Strategy feels like a modern version (spiritual successor) of Shining Force.

Just with lots of text, but excellent story line. Must play IMHO.

Looks good, added to wishlist. $60 though...PLUS TAX. That looks like a game I'd maybe fork over 39.99 for

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

They probably did it to make it difficult to beat in one rental. It's why games were more difficult for US versions over Japanese. The rental market was seen as a potential profit loss by game devs/publishers and console makers.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
They probably did it to make it difficult to beat in one rental. It's why games were more difficult for US versions over Japanese. The rental market was seen as a potential profit loss by game devs/publishers and console makers.

Having worked at video stores…I’d say it’s probably the opposite. They probably removed it so that people would bring it back sooner. Every single RPG was a game for the late list…calling these people 14 days after the game is due back…

The smart money on game rental in the early 90s would be all the sports and none of the RPGs.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Looks good, added to wishlist. $60 though...PLUS TAX. That looks like a game I'd maybe fork over 39.99 for
Keep an eye on this during the winter sale:

Deck verified!

edit: And don't forget this all-timer:

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Triangle Strategy is legitimately great. The battle system might be the best out of any SRPG I've played. Just go in knowing that you will spend something like 40-50% of your time doing story stuff which understandably isn't for everyone.

Last edited: