Shooters or Fighters.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Spoiler:

Polls are for lazy twats who can't just count each post themselves. :-P

So what do you prefer shooters or fighting games?

Me? I prefer shooters, especially the Salamander/Life Force/Gradius kind. I feel it rewards better play with each iteration of getting my ass kicked.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Shmups. Fighters are just about memorizing joystick combinations there is no skill. Yeah, making a quarter circle and hitting 4 buttons is really awesome.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Wow, only 2 posts in and I don't see how this thread could be any more retarded.

Edit: Whoops, 2 more snuck in. Bloody, I hope you're keeping track of people's votes.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Shooters, old school 16 bit ones are my favourite's, my absolute favourite genre and time frame (i was in my 20's and at the peak of my gaming powers).
I do like the modern cave variety as well and some of them look absolutely stunning, it's like being caught up in the middle of a multicoloured firework display, really pleasing on the eye.
I also find some of the modern one's easier because of the smaller hit box, but that's not to say that they're a pushover, far from it actually.
Fighting games i suck at big time and i've alway's had very little interst in them because of this, i'm a button bashing spaz who rely's on pot luck to get anywhere and fail's epically, i would go as far as saying i'm probably one of the worse fighting game player's on ng.com. I do however see the appeal if you can pull of the special's and combo's.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I equally enjoy the fun had playing multiplayer games like 2D fighters and single player high score/skill games like bullet hell shmups.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Fighters are just about memorizing joystick combinations there is no skill. Yeah, making a quarter circle and hitting 4 buttons is really awesome.
LOL. Not exactly. Both genres can be accused of heavy memorisation...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shmups. Fighters are just about memorizing joystick combinations there is no skill. Yeah, making a quarter circle and hitting 4 buttons is really awesome.
I knew you didn't know anything about fighting games. You literally have no idea; your ignorance drips off the screen.

Or maybe you just have no friends, so you only know 1P fighting games.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Shooters. They're enjoyable with or without a second player.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
FPS!
haha i know thats not what you meant but fuck it lol.

I'm more of a casual fan of both genres since both require lots of time in order to be real good in them.
I can play and have fun in single player with either genre since even the cpu can give me trouble.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Why are you bent on doing this? Firts you bash on NES gamers as nothing more than nostalgic and now you bash on fighters. Later you're wondering why I'm calling you out. Have you considered just stating your opinion without putting others in the fire? This is why I consider your opinion stupid at times...and I like you...but you're testing my faith in you...I'm starting to see the poser in you.

On topic.

Fighters have been an important genre for me. Always played shooters here and there but didn't really get into it until way later and I'm still very mediocre at it compared to my fighting game prowess but even then I still have tons to learn, a true fighter's journey is never ending. Both genres are awesome but if I have to pick one, fighters for sure.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I would have to say fighters. I am currently learning to be better at shmups, but I prefer fighting games.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I like both genres equally for different reasons. Both involve skill (to say that fighters don't is an ignorant statement) and test you in different ways, and both kick my ass equally :lolz:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
This, I prefer fighting games with friends and shooters for solo play.

I also prefer arcade sticks for shooters and control pads for fighting games generally

Same here.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
If I am alone in the arcade I like shmups, if there are opponents I like fighters.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
although i love my shooters,i'm going to have to go with fighters. i have too much of a history with fighters. was there in the beginning with street fighter 2, and have been playing fighters since. where as i haven't been very keen on shooters outside the 16 and 32bit era.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I do a lot of Co-Op Shmups with my GF, we find it a lot of fun, she loves playing Deathsmiles (we've 1-All it, no bonus stage which isn't hard) and most of the later games in the genre. I can play fighters however they come, single or multiplayer, although I have to admit I used to do a lot of single player between the time arcades went down and online multiplayer, after that I hardly go back to single player fighting games except when a game is new to me and I want to understand the system.