Should I get a Mega CD console?

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Now that I'm done with my Dreamcast collection and halfway through with my Saturn, I've been thinking about checking out the Mega CD and getting titles like Final fight, Dennin Aleste and so on I would to know where to get one for cheap and should i get either the front loader or top loader and curious to know if I can play jpn mega cd games on a sega cd. That's all I can think thanks for the help.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Not sure, but I thnk you can load the region bios of your choice with an everdrive. I don't own one to try it out so don't take my word for it.

Edit: If you're a fan of Final Fight, it's a damn good version on the Genesis CD. I was just playing it last night as a matter of fact.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yes and no.
it's not worth paying the current prices, but it is worth playing some of the games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Actually, the question is..should I get a mega cd.

I have a few mega cd games without a mega cd. But I have a MD2, and a decent amount of MD titles.

You don't need anymore games NGCDfreak.

You need a life!!

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've heard the front loaders are much less reliable than the top loaders, however it is way more badass...

Definitely some good games on the system and worth picking up imo.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Good games for the mega-cd are in small numbers.Still avoid the model one since it's not reliable,go with a model 2 instead.For playing imports you can use a everdrive or the megacart converter by tototek.

NeoLucian

New Challenger
The front loading MegaCD is definitely less reliable than the Top loader and much bigger, had both and definitely had more problems with the front loader.
Some great games however: Sonic, Earthworm Jim, Flashback etc.

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet
I think there's quite a few great games on the mega cd, although most are quite expensive. Here are 10 of my favourites:

Snatcher
Keio Flying Squadron
Bari Arm
Devastator
Sonic CD
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Popful Mail
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Jaguar XJ220

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If you educated your aesthetic vibe enough to acknowledge the potential of trash in video games, then there's nothing better. Even in its most acclaimed titles, the Mega-CD has that trashy feel to offer, at least to those who'll listen: the 15.5 frames in Sonic's bonus levels, the one's during Silpheed's forelast stage, the pixelated scaling effects in Soul Star, the stagnant 30's frame rate in Dungeon Explorer etc. etc.

Granted, there is the 3DO, the Jag, CD-i and what not. But with this SEGA add on, you'll get all SEGA advantages: the good controllers (Saturn quality six-buttons MD-pads), the good developers (Konami, Compile, Namco, Taito, Falcom & Hudson among others) and, in regards to the front-loader, the good looks, too.

There are also neat unexpected surprises, like the only English version of Snatcher, Lords of Thunder's option to adjust the overexposed loudness of the sound f/x to finally enjoy the great soundtrack, speaking of which, there's also the exclusive soundtrack to Another World to enjoy, or the best port of Ninja Warriors beyond the arcades including Daddy Mulk. Now, you tell me. Isn't that worth a measly 300 credits?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I would suggest playing through the library via emulation before getting into it. When I purchased a Mega CD I quickly found out that there weren't many games I enjoyed on the platform.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I agree with what many here have said...I've owned a Laseractive, Sega CD 1, two Sega CD 2's and a X'Eye...in the end, I sold them all. There's some neat-o games for the system...but they're all just ok in the end and not really worth having the console around for.

If you really must get one, burn the games...they are 100% not worth the asking price the currently fetch, even the over-hyped Snatcher.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I think there's quite a few great games on the mega cd, although most are quite expensive. Here are 10 of my favourites:

Snatcher
Keio Flying Squadron
Bari Arm
Devastator
Sonic CD
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Popful Mail
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Jaguar XJ220

Plus
Final Fight CD
Earnest Evans (control and character movement are awkward but still love the game!)
Road Avenger
Thunder Storm FX (cobra command)
Timegal
Revenge of the Ninja
Annet

I prefer to buy JPN version :)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Get a Mega CD 2 or use an Everdrive with a US system. My JP CD2 runs JP and US games. Just need to region mod your MD/Genesis.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, as others have said, if you're just looking to play the games then a regular Sega/Mega CD for your region with an Everdrive loading the BIOS will play like 90% of the JP Mega CDs. Model 2 is much more reliable in the long run than the Model 1, if you purchase a M1 unit be prepared to put a bit more time and money into it over the next several years in terms of capacitor and belt replacements.

The SegaCD really was the most popular in the US compared to any other region though, outside of the US library there are about 50 JP exclusives and about 4 EU exclusives. But of the 50 JP exclusives there are some pretty neat titles in there, though there are a lot of sim and RPG types that are rather Japanese heavy. A lot of MegaCDs in Japan are still pretty cheap though so they're easy to mess with, I've actually got a number of dupes myself from various lots of the years.

Purchasing the JP hardware is purely something to do as a collector though (I'm guilty of it) since there are easier and more space efficient ways to play the games.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
lest I'm mistaken nobody has mentioned this fantastic game yet:
robo_aleste_box_eu.jpg

also just for kicks that Star Wars chess game, Wonderdog, Fatal Fury Special and some others.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
91_Sega_Mega-CD_MK1-450.jpg

For this reason alone you should get a Mega Cd the console is beautiful,
also there is Final fight CD, Earthworm Jim, Batman Returns and Keio Flying squadron

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
164000362.jpg

This one also deserves a mention: its mix of cinematics & legere gameplay is coherent for a change.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I like the Mega CD. Sure, it's not as essential as a PC Engine CD-ROM, but it still has a decent selection of games and it's my preferred platform for Final Fight.

It's just a shame that it was home to so much FMV software.... can you imagine if Capcom had released SSF2X on CD or some sort of ultimate Gn'G, outdoing the SNES game.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I say get one if you have never owned one. It was my first CD system and it has allot of definitive versions of Mega Drive games for it.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
View attachment 38308

For this reason alone you should get a Mega Cd the console is beautiful,
also there is Final fight CD, Earthworm Jim, Batman Returns and Keio Flying squadron

Fuck yeah. The model 1 Genesis/CD combo looked cool as hell back in the day. It screams early 90's retro awesomeness.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
literally in the first post

sega cd sucks, there's 3 good games

Final Fight
Popful Mail
Sonic CD
Shining Force
Lunar
Lunar 2
Snatcher
Robo Aleste
Vay
Cyborg 009
Sol Feace

....im not the biggest Sega CD fan but these are some off the top of my head good games for that system and I know im missing a few more.